Please, retire your use of MAP EDITOR

• I really wish modders would stop using MAP EDITOR. It's an extremely bad map loader: it constantly runs out of memory (thus crashes your game), and the author has given up on it a long time ago already. Map Editor is simply not fit to deal with today's huge ytyp maps.

Map Editor comes with a conversion to Menyoo map format; but that requires you are able to load the map to begin with. Plus, you'll lose your working doors. Menyoo maps load much faster (you can compare, loading the same map in Menyoo format).

So, please, please, either stop making huge Map Editor maps (ca. 1600 objects and more), or, at least, start including Menyoo map formatted maps in your builds.

Thank you.

• I wish there was a way to simple add them via Add-On's

• @ReNNie it is - just convert to ymap

• @Dekurwinator said in Please, retire your use of MAP EDITOR:

@ReNNie it is - just convert to ymap

Like how?! Haven't seen a tool for that yet.

• @meimeiriver im using excel

• @meimeiriver Really really. https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/gta-v-map-helper-maxscript

This is a maxscript, this supposedly lets you create your own YMAPS for GTA 5. In other words, a map creator, because now you don't need broken-ass FiveReborn to play on your maps. You can port them to what's needed for GTA 5 maps with the script, then use a program like Menyoo to place the map pieces, then viola, instant Detroit! (Or whatever your map was gonna be.)

• @krashadam Brilliant! Thank you very much! Going to examine it rightaway! :)

• nice intell! but still to much hassle for me tbh ...
    convert to ymap ala but then I just want to import it to a dlc and be in it ;)
    maybe someday huh

• @ReNNie You should still be able to make ymaps as DLC. I recall some halves of the map are in one of those folders in the dlcpacks.

• @krashadam said in Please, retire your use of MAP EDITOR:

@meimeiriver Really really. https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/gta-v-map-helper-maxscript

This is a maxscript, this supposedly lets you create your own YMAPS for GTA 5. In other words, a map creator, because now you don't need broken-ass FiveReborn to play on your maps. You can port them to what's needed for GTA 5 maps with the script, then use a program like Menyoo to place the map pieces, then viola, instant Detroit! (Or whatever your map was gonna be.)

I'm not really creating maps myself; but would be very interested if this script could simply convert Map Editor xml files to ymap.

I did study Franklin's fancy home once, with the manifest and ymap and all. Looked straightforward enough, with placement coordinates and stuff. I think I zoned out a bit when it came to manipulating/finding interactive objects (like doors, home radio, etc), as those properties were in turn defined elsewhere. But maybe I should make the effort again. :)

• @meimeiriver XMLs? Probably not, if they aren't 3D. I'd actually try ripping whatever models were used in those maps, port them to 3Ds Max, then recreate the exact layout that the original map had. So say, Great Island by T3mas1, you would rip all of the models used in the map (except the blocks, unless you prefer them), then lay them out exactly like the original Great Island.

Or, if you're talented enough, you could recreate the entire map from scratch.

You can also try using a program that rips models from games while it's running, so running a model ripper that rips from running games would probably help you too. Just make sure people/vehicles/LS is out of view, otherwise your model may come out bigger than you anticipated.

• @rastakilla The author of those 3 maps, ArthurLopes, can convert them to single player.

@meimeiriver XMLs? Probably not, if they aren't 3D. I'd actually try ripping whatever models were used in those maps, port them to 3Ds Max, then recreate the exact layout that the original map had. So say, Great Island by T3mas1, you would rip all of the models used in the map (except the blocks, unless you prefer them), then lay them out exactly like the original Great Island.

Why, not that I'm lazy per se, but I'm not really looking to redo every great map out there, from the ground up. Rather, I'm hoping modders will simply start using ymap files instead (the kind that can be loaded as addon DLC), as there's really no need to use a crude tool like Map Editor, when the ymap route already offers a perfect native way to place objects (and exceedingly faster too).

• @meimeiriver I never said you had to use Map Editor. I mean recreate the whole XML map in 3Ds Max.

@meimeiriver I never said you had to use Map Editor. I mean recreate the whole XML map in 3Ds Max.

I understood that. But the point of starting this thread was the crudeness of Map Editor.

And to answer your question, no, I'm not nearly talented enough to recreate entire, complex maps from scratch. But, more importantly, I don't really feel the urge to do so. Rather I'm hoping modders will start saving their maps to ymap. Far as I know, 3 things are needed: manifest (.ymt file), .ytyp files (if the props aren't already in your addonprops), and a .ymap, for the placement.

• @meimeiriver Do you know of any alternatives that have the ability to auto load maps when the game starts like map editor? I always wanted to use this but never did because I hate using map editor

• Why use 3ds max? :thinking: If you just have an app that reads the map editor xml and creates a mymapname.ymap.xml file from it, then that should be enough. I recently made a prop dlc creator (it creates an entire dlc folder for you with all files content.xml setup2.xml etc.) so there's no reason someone couldn't just make a little application that lets you do that.

Maybe I'm missing the point.

• @sollaholla i agree with you, im not scripter but made quick converter from menyoo fromat to ymap in excel, so any scripter can make aplikation for that, theres only one thing that map editor xml file has quaternions and menyoo have mirrored euler angles.

• @sollaholla I used 3ds Max as an example.

You could be using Blender for all I know.

• @krashadam I wish you could use blender. xD But yeah I see what you mean. If I have time I might be able to make an app for it, but I'm pretty busy at the moment.

• @Dekurwinator said in Please, retire your use of MAP EDITOR:

@sollaholla i agree with you, im not scripter but made quick converter from menyoo fromat to ymap in excel, so any scripter can make aplikation for that, theres only one thing that map editor xml file has quaternions and menyoo have mirrored euler angles.

Quaternation <-> Euler are rather trivial functions. Maybe I'll make a converter in Perl or something, as I wouldn't know how to do it in Excel. But, in general, people, please SHARE your tools for this!

• @meimeiriver dunno if this help ya but im using this http://www.mediafire.com/file/d18420kb4wnbm37/menyoo_to_ymap.rar
    And i bet this can be done better but like i said im not scripter ;p And i make it for my mod to convert menyoo to ymaps

• @Dekurwinator Cool, thx! :) I'll check that out, too!

• @meimeiriver said in Please, retire your use of MAP EDITOR:

Quaternation <-> Euler

But map editor uses quaternions. The 1 main big problem I see, is that map editor uses hashcodes as their archetype names instead of the actual name of the archetype.

(archetype = prop = object)

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.