[TIPS] Vehicle and Script installed Mods

Hello guys! @GanjaHouse and I had in mind to share our knowledges about mods, so here are some and you can take them in count when you're going to install vehicle and script mods :)

VEHICLES:TEXTURES

A lot of vehicles have a texture called "No Damage Lod" or something similar, which resolution is 2048x2048 with a ARGB8 compression format. If you want to save a bit of game memory or reduce its performance issues, do the next with every vehicle:

:one:.- Export it from the YTD file of the specific vehicle with OpenIV program. Do it with DDS format, or your texture will lose quality!
    :two:.- With a good image editor, resize it to 1024x1024 keeping the ARGB8 format on it.
    :three:.- Put it back to the YTD vehicle file.
    :four:.- Done!

Using this way with every vehicle your game will use less memory while using them. If you're having memory errors, this may help you to keep them away for more playing time (It depends how much Add-On or Replace vehicle mods are you using while playing).

Do you want more information yet?
    Here's a much more detailed explanation about Texture Compression used by the game -> Texture Compression and Mipmaps

VEHICLES:TUNING

Most of the people here knows that some vehicles can have a problem with them because of MODKITS ID's located in carcols.meta and carvariations.meta files.

Here I'll share with you some information about how to have a bit more of control about this BIG problem.

Let's take as example something I've said to a Forums member some time ago (Thanks to @LeeC2202 who shared this information before):

Maybe you'll think that a value like "123123118" is not taken by any of the vanilla vehicles, but it is. That's because the game allowed values are from 0 to 255, so values above these are the same but just changes its length.

To know which real value is "123123118" (or any other) you need to convert it to an 8-bit number, which is a value between 0 and 255. How can I do this?

:one:.- Open Windows 10 calculator in Programer mode (If you don't use Windows 10, use this).
    :two:.- Insert the desired value.
    :three:.- Now press the "AND" button and add a "255" value.
    :four:.- Finally press "=" button and the result should be "174" if you were using the value above. This one is the real value that's using the game when you write 123123118.

Now you can check if any of your Add-Ons use too the value obtained. If yes, most probably is that your old Add-On with the same value lost his tuning parts or him was the problem of the other one.

Conclusion: You can't have more than 255 Add-On vehicles with tuning working. And even accomplishing that, is really possible that your vanilla vehicles lost theirs. Better try to use vehicle mods without tuning parts or with them being part of the vehicle default chasis.

VEHICLES:LODS

First, if you don't know what mean LOD's, here's a "short" definition:

• LOD's (Level Of Detail): Involves decreasing the complexity of a 3D model representation as it moves away from the viewer or according to other metrics such as object importance, viewpoint-relative speed or position.

In other words, if you're close to a vehicle, its quality will be higher than if you're not.

There's a common problem with them. Some vehicle modders doesn't add LOD's to their models or their quality is not enough, and some of them choose to edit some specific values of the vehicles.meta lines the specific vehicle uses to keep them in HQ. It means that your game will load them directly with HQ LOD's, translated to a LOWER PERFORMANCE.

And, what can I do to fix that?

There's not a way to fix it, so you'll need to choose what to do:

:one:.- I want the vehicle and I don't want it to disappear when we're not close to it: Then left it as it is, but it can cause performance issues and maybe your game will become unstable.
    :two:.- I want the vehicle and is not a problem for me to see it disappear when its not close to my character: Then you should edit the vehicles.meta data of the vehicle, finding a similar lines to the next ones and replacing them with those (are vanilla game values):

<lodDistances content="float_array">
    </lodDistances>

:three:.- I don't want the vehicle anymore, my game stability is more important: Good choice, you're a truly gamer. You prefer a good game with less mods than a good but unstable game. You're like me!

Do you want more information yet?
    If you're a vehicle modder you'll find this very useful -> Setting Up Vehicle LOD Models Properly

VEHICLES and SCRIPTS:UNINSTALL SOME?

Probably you like all your installed mods (for some reason you've installed them, right? ), but I'm sure most of them are unused and just wasting game memory and HDD/SSD space. Maybe is your turn to remove them?

I'll put myself as example here. I have actually more than 500 Add-On vehicles installed and I don't use more than 5 or 6 each time, and always are almost the same vehicles. Why I want to have 500 Add-Ons then?

Some of them are HQ VIP (I'll keep these installed), others are just VIP but without interiors or LOD's so I'll get rid of them. There are also others that are public HQ and I'll keep them too, but the rest are just Normal or LQ, or also totally unused ones, so I'll remove all of them.

I still need to figure which ones I'll remove, but maybe they'll be around 100-200 vehicles, we'll see.

Then, thanks to removing that big amount of vehicles, my game will load faster and the performance hit will be lower.

Talking about Scripts, in my case I've already removed the most unused or bugged ones, so I just kept the most necessary/used and my game performance is better :)

I'll never recommend to install mods like SPA (Single Player Apartments), Open All Interiors or Benny's Motorworks SP by Guadmaz. First ones because their performance hit is impressive, and the Guadmaz one because it's outdated and it will cause bugs to your game.

Please, be careful with the kind of Scripts you'll install to your game. They're the responsible of most of the game crashes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You're free to help me improve this thread sharing your knowledge or help others, @GanjaHouse and more awesome people did already helping me modding ;).

• @Reyser thank you

• thanks bredda

• @Reyser said in [TIPS] Vehicle and Script installed Mods:

ugs to your game.

Very good tips...

• @Reyser said in [TIPS] Vehicle and Script installed Mods:

you should convert it to Decimal

That is probably better if it says "you need to convert it to an 8-bit number, which is a value between 0 and 255."

It's the 8-bit part of the number that determines the actual value and that can be Decimal, Hexadecimal or Binary.

@LeeC2202 Done.

And yes you're right, I just thought wasn't necessary to add the "8-bit number" as it doesn't seems a relevant information for most of the people that just add mods to their game, but I always like to be rectified if I'm wrong or I missed something, so thank you :)

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.