Backing up a clean install to make reinstalling easier than downloading game again (steam version)

• I install, mod, get a little too crazy adding stuff, delete (format) the entire game & steam off my external hard drive then start over completely....

After doing this 20 times, I'm kinda tired of downloading it. So I want to ask, is the Rockstar backup the best way to back up your entire game (for backing up a clean install/before mods are installed).

Also, after i start modding, if I want to back up the entire game with the mods online----can I just place my entire GTAV folder (Steam Version) into a compressed (zip) folder in Windows 10? Will that work? I tried the modded version w/ Steam's backup and it didn't seam to save my mod and script folders.

I have only had the PC version for about 4 months, and I'm not really a PC person--I'm more of a Mac guy so it's been a very long time since I've had a PC on a regular basis--prob 20 years..

Use a mods folder.

Did you ignore the 20000 warnings OpenIV shows when editing files outside the mod directory?

• @ikt Then talk to the guy who wrote the Superman, Hulk, Ironman and Ghost Rider mods. They install outside the mod folder.... I didn't write it, I just use it.

Not to menton there's a crap load of mods that insist things be installed in the main GTAV root folder...

The scripts folder is outside the mods folder, per a lot of what mods instructed to do... If that can go into the mods folder, that's news to me.

Script mods don't modify game resources and can be installed safely. To disable all of them only dinput8.dll needs to be disabled (the .asi loader).

A fully modded game using the mods folder can be reverted back to unmodified by just disabling the asi loader.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.