Better perspective

• Hi,

something always looked off for me in GTA 5 especially when going up like in an helicopter...

To make it real short: try aspect ration (3:2) instead of (auto) !

Take an helicopter and go around and above the city and land on the maze bank and tell me what you think !

• TRANSLATOR

@thxo1138 cream commandeline file and put the resolution you want if dont understand google it

• This will make clear what I mean:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/860822-better-perspective/

• @thxo1138 I have to say they just look distorted.

3:2 is almost the 16:10 that I use (3:2 x 5 = 15:10) but that's because I have a 16:10 monitor, I play at 1920x1200 not the usual 1920x1080. But forcing that aspect ratio onto a 16:9 monitor causes the image to squash (or stretch depending on which way you look at it).

As an artist, I would find that very unpleasant to play, because my brain would be telling me it's wrong.

If you really wanted to push out the perspective, you'd be better off forcing the camera in closer, then pushing it back out again with a wider field of view. That way it would still distort the image, but it would distort it in a way that was consistent with how a wide-angle lens actually works... so applying an equal distortion instead of just stretching things in one direction.

Obviously, you like what you like but from my perspective (sorry ;) ) this isn't better.

• @LeeC2202 Well I new that not every body was with a 1920x1080 but I should of mentioned it.
    You are making me wonder if the game is made to look better on a 1920x1200 ?

"(3:2 x 5 = 15:10)" I did compare the two, back and fort back and fort, and the 3:2 seemed a little better.

I should say this also about the distortion, (still on a 1920x1080) when played at normal (auto) (to me) there seems to be a distortion of the background when you get off the ground, but your player or heli or plane stays good.
    Now when you put it at (3:2) your player, heli, plane, get slightly distorted (squashed) but not that much, but (and this is why I'm talking about this) the background is much improved when you are off the ground and or flying or falling, and there is a sense of height, and the world and the objects look to have substance and 3 dimensions not a flatish distorted image.

That said I would be curious if someone out there can compare 2 monitors side by side, one at 1920x1080 the other 1920x1200 and see if one looks better (not distorted) then the other.
    I don't see how that could be but....

• @thxo1138 I also just remembered that gta 5 was made to work at 4k... humm

• I've been looking at 4k pic of gta trying if I can figure out if it work better on other monitors..
    But some pic are ok and some are distorted, so I can't find out this way.
    I would need to have different monitors on hand to really know.

• @LeeC2202 I'm just saying..if... there is a same background distortion on a 1920x1200, then an aspect ratio of 15:11 would be needed to equal the 3:2 of the 1920x1080.

• @thxo1138 16:10 is a pretty uncommon aspect ratio for gamers, I have a pair of 16:10 monitors because I am a developer, so screen estate is the primary factor.

If you compared 3:2 and 15:10 and saw a difference, then there is something wrong, because they are the same thing. You are simply looking at a width that is 1.5 x the height, no matter which you use.

Auto will simply set the aspect ratio based on the resolution, so 1920x1080 will set to 16:9 and 1920x1200 will set to 16:10. 3:2 will be for 1680x1120 monitors and 4:3 for something like 1280x960.

The actual resolution for 3:2 based on 1920 width would be 1920x1280, so what you are doing is squashing those extra 200 pixels into the space of 1080. With 1920x1200, you're only squashing an extra 80 pixels, so you will get less squashing but still some.

At the end of the day, we make the game suit our own preferences... I'm just so sensitive to things out of shape, that I have to keep things how they should be.... I call it the curse of the artist's eye... and I can't turn it off. :)

• @LeeC2202 No no no no,

I was quoting you in regards to what you said.
    I did not compare 3:2 with 15:10, I don't have access to 15:10 but like you said 3:2 is the same, that's why there is no 15:10.
    You said it was close to 16:10 !
    And that is what I used, but 3:2 was better.

We still have not determined if 1920x1200 as the same problem, if it does not then of course you are happy with what you see.
    But maybe your "artist's eye" likes things to look like photographs with a lens effect.

I have eyes to !

I worked as a graphic artist for 10y, and I dabbled in 3d software's, I also built my own 3d camera ect ect.

My forte is Spatial visualization.
    I scored a 99.. I could of had 100 but was shy of a few seconds.

My (3:2) fix is not a cure all, you have to be able to be selective in what you are looking at.

And until you get an 1920x1080 you wont be able to know what I'm talking about I think, since there is not an equivalent fix for 1920x1200 (again if there is a need for it at all).

• @thxo1138 Sorry, I thought you had compared the two aspect ratios...

Anyway, I can see we're heading onto a dangerous path so I'll drop out of the conversation. I wasn't disputing what you had done, I was just offering a different perspective on achieving a more exaggerated perspective... but I can sense a conflict growing.

That wasn't my intention, so I will unwatch, sorry for stirring the pot. :(

• @LeeC2202 Don't make a big deal out of it.
    I respect every body's opinion or tastes, they don't need to prove anything to me.
    Not every body is looking to see things my way.
    Some play on the couch on a big tv 15 feet away, some like to play with an extra wide FOV so they can shoot better ect.

I just ad a ton of great games in my past that were -perfect- in 3d, like HL2, san andreas, and many other.
    And I would like to repeat that experience with GTA 5 cause I like it.

(3:2) broth me closer to that (not perfect), like if you jump of a building and you look directly at the ground rushing at you it feels much better ! :fearful:

"I was just offering a different perspective on achieving a more exaggerated perspective..."
    On that... there is unfortunately only so much that can be done, we are limited in what we can modify in the game .

• #ultrawiderace can't enjoy this :(( tried this last night

• @Frazzlee To bad.
    Where you at least in an helicopter or parachuting ?
    Cause if you where on the ground I can totally understand.

• Yeah I was just driving around and then took out a besra, didn't turn out too well and for some reason I kept getting random screen tears.... RIP VSYNC

• Of interest.

Barrel ?

alt text

• I'm looking at watch dogs 2 videos, and this is what I wish GTA 5 was like !

I mean there is no funny distortion in WD2 !

Every thing looks the right proportion and scale, what's big looks big (look at the bridge) and what is high looks high (looking down from the bridge) what is far looks far ect.

I don't know exactly what Rockstar did, but I am suspecting that they intentionally used some sort of lens filter to give a cinematic view for their movie editor, but I'm guessing here.

I don't really know exactly what's going on, but here I'm only trying to make you grasp that there is something going on, if you examine WD2 and compare maybe you will.

• One observation I would like to share.

What ever Rockstar did (or is part of or a limit of the rage engine ?) the vanishing point or points seems to be missing when you look for it.

It is something that we have seen throughout most video games trough the years, even if you don't look for it you can "feel" it when looking around and it gives depth.

That is something that is different in GTA 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_point

http://drawsketch.about.com/od/drawingglossary/g/vanishingpoint.htm

Look at this comparison and look and feel for the vanishing points.:

That for me is what I think was bugging me about GTA 5, I hope GTA 6 will be better, or we all have VR by then :).

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.