maintaining 2 versions of GTA V

• i'm currently planning ahead my budget and was wondering if it would be possible to maintain 2 versions of GTA V: one with scripthook/legacy and one for the newest version.

I have no intentions to pirate the second version either. i also currently have steam retail.

do you think I should try to keep a seperare mods folder or, just keep extra version of the game on a SSD and switch out files when nessissary

thanks 😊

NOTE: this thread is not to grief about scripthook its just preparation for the worst case scenario

• Keep the current one and leave a slot for future ones

• I run two versions, one on my desktop, for those rare times i might venture online for no reason at all and one on my laptop which is modded to all hell and should never be allowed online, all on the one steam account. Unfortunately both updated.

• @TRDOffroad97 said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

i'm currently planning ahead my budget and was wondering if it would be possible to maintain 2 versions of GTA V: one with scripthook/legacy and one for the newest version.

I have no intentions to pirate the second version either. i also currently have steam retail.

do you think I should try to keep a seperare mods folder or, just keep extra version of the game on a SSD and switch out files when nessissary

thanks 😊

NOTE: this thread is not to grief about scripthook its just preparation for the worst case scenario

For STEAM, just use 2 install folders, like 'GTA V Modded' and 'GTA V Vanilla' (these will basically be renamed folders of the original 'Grand Theft Auto V' directory). Then create 2 corresponding batch files, like:

rmdir "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V"
    mklink /j "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V" "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GTA V Modded"
    pause

To switch yo your modded version. And to use vanilla, like

mklink /j "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V" "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GTA V Vanilla"
    pause

P.S. Adjust drive letters and paths where applicable, of course.

• @meimeiriver said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

@TRDOffroad97 said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

i'm currently planning ahead my budget and was wondering if it would be possible to maintain 2 versions of GTA V: one with scripthook/legacy and one for the newest version.

thanks 😊

For STEAM, just use 2 install folders, like 'GTA V Modded' and 'GTA V Vanilla' (these will basically be renamed folders of the original 'Grand Theft Auto V' directory). Then create 2 corresponding batch files, like:

mklink /j "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V" "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GTA V Modded"
    pause

To switch yo your modded version. And to use vanilla, like

mklink /j "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V" "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GTA V Vanilla"
    pause

P.S. Adjust drive letters and paths where applicable, of course.

Thank you so much thats definitely worth a try

• I'm sorry, this might be a stupid question, is there a tutorial or step guide on how to do what was suggested above? I recognize the pathways, but creating two batch files and switch, I am really confused. Again, I am sorry if this is a stupid question of it this information is posted somewhere else.

• @GeorgeTKE said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

I'm sorry, this might be a stupid question, is there a tutorial or step guide on how to do what was suggested above? I recognize the pathways, but creating two batch files and switch, I am really confused. Again, I am sorry if this is a stupid question of it this information is posted somewhere else.

It's really rather simple. :) Both batch files start by deleting the junction to the default GTA folder. Then, the one you called, say, modded.cmd, will set 'steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V' to the modded location of your game, and, say, vanilla.cmd will set it to 'steamapps\common\GTA V Vanilla'. That way, whichever game variant you want to play, you either click on the modded.cmd or the vanilla.cmd batch file.

You can start by renaming your (modded) 'Grand Theft Auto V' folder to 'GTA V Modded'. That will leave you with no valid 'Grand Theft Auto V' folder. That's a good thing. :) Leave it like that, for now. Then you will simply redownload the game. STEAM will do so, and you'll have a new, pristine ''Grand Theft Auto V' folder' again. After redownload is completed, rename that folder to 'GTA V Vanilla'.

Now you have 2 folders,

steamapps\common\GTA V Modded
    steamapps\common\GTA V Vanilla

Now, AND ONLY NOW, can you start using the above batch files (otherwise it would just delete your current, non-junction 'Grand Theft Auto V' folder).

• OH! That's brilliant! And since I am pointing steam to the Vanilla folder, it will only update that one. That's awesome, thank you so very much. Where do I put the batch files, do these take the place of shortcuts to the .exe files? I assume I can find how to create a batch file with a google search?

OH! That's brilliant! And since I am pointing steam to the Vanilla folder, it will only update that one. That's awesome, thank you so very much. Where do I put the batch files, do these take the place of shortcuts to the .exe files? I assume I can find how to create a batch file with a google search?

No, batch files are not shortcuts to the exe files. They're basically just text files: nothing more, nothing less; but they're executable (like an exe file), because of their .bat or .cmd extension. So, just create a text file, and paste in the following (with adjusted paths, of course):

@echo off
    cls
    pause

Then save said text file to modded.cmd. Voila, you now have working batch file! :) Their location doesn't really matter, as you're putting in full paths anyway). And then create a vanilla.cmd with the other code segment.

And since I am pointing steam to the Vanilla folder, it will only update that one

Yes. Once you ran, say, modded.cmd, STEAM just thinks it's working on your default 'Grand Theft Auto V' folder (which is, in actuality, now 'GTA V Modded'). And vice versa: after running vanilla.cmd STEAM still thinks it's working on your default 'Grand Theft Auto V' folder (but which is, in actuality, now 'GTA V Vanilla')

P.S. Not to confuse you any further, but the same could be accomplished with symbolic links. Junctions just happen to be harder to detect for the program using the folders (STEAM, in this case).

• @GeorgeTKE Oh, and before I go to bed, since you're obviously new to batch file processing, I advise you to try and experiment with 2 harmless test folders first, and not directly on your real GTA V folders, just so you start to understand the process.

• @meimeiriver that is excellent advice, I am definitely going to do that. The last thing I want to do is bork something really important.

• Thank you all for the patience in explaining this process and suffering through the painfully stupid questions. I sincerely appreciate the assistance.

• @meimeiriver I have just been thinking about symbolic-links and multiple game versions... At the moment, the different versions have to be on the same drive to work. But what about instead of making links to the Grand Theft Auto V folder, you make links to the Rockstar Games folder instead?

So you would have Rockstar Games - Mods and Rockstar Games - Clean and inside those, would be symbolic links that point to Grand Theft Auto V folders in any other location. The symbolic links should effectively redirect the game folders to appear in the right location, no matter where they were, because the Rockstar Games folders would be in the right place... does that sound like it would work to you?

• @LeeC2202 said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

@meimeiriver I have just been thinking about symbolic-links and multiple game versions... At the moment, the different versions have to be on the same drive to work. But what about instead of making links to the Grand Theft Auto V folder, you make links to the Rockstar Games folder instead?

So you would have Rockstar Games - Mods and Rockstar Games - Clean and inside those, would be symbolic links that point to Grand Theft Auto V folders in any other location. The symbolic links should effectively redirect the game folders to appear in the right location, no matter where they were, because the Rockstar Games folders would be in the right place... does that sound like it would work to you?

Pardon my daftness, but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish differently; but way I understand it, the Rock* retail version expects the game to reside in:

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\

So, let's say you have a folder called:

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA V Modded\

And you want to put a symlink in there that again points to a 'Grand Theft Auto V' directory anywhere else, right?

I doubt that would work, because, to Rock*, your game path would be like:

C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA V Modded\Grand Theft Auto V\

Might work if you redirect the '.' folder inside GTA V Modded -> Grand Theft Auto V (anywhere).

Sorry, guess I really don't fully understand your concept yet.

• @meimeiriver On my M:\ drive, I have GTAV installed into M:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V. Now imagine I have another copy of that folder on say my E:\ drive, in E:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V

So I move the Grand Theft Auto V folder out of the Rockstar Games folder into the root of drive M: So now Rockstar Games is empty. I make a copy of that Rockstar Games folder and call it Rockstar Games - Mods and leave the existing one as it is.

In the existing folder, I create a symbolic link to the Grand Theft Auto V folder in the Root of M:\ So that gets that version back to working. I then rename that to Rockstar Games - Online (or something different just to identify it). I then rename the Rockstar Games - Mods folder back to Rockstar Games and create a Symbolic link to the Grand Theft Auto V folder on E:.

So I now have two Rockstar Games folders, that when renamed to just Rockstar Games, contain links to valid GTAV folders, that will appear in the right location.

Does that make any kind of sense, or am I just making this even more confusing? :D

Think of it as just taking the renaming process one step further backwards, to work on the outer folder instead of the actual game folder itself.

• @LeeC2202 said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

@meimeiriver On my M:\ drive, I have GTAV installed into M:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V. Now imagine I have another copy of that folder on say my E:\ drive, in E:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V

So I move the Grand Theft Auto V folder out of the Rockstar Games folder into the root of drive M: So now Rockstar Games is empty. I make a copy of that Rockstar Games folder and call it Rockstar Games - Mods and leave the existing one as it is.

In the existing folder, I create a symbolic link to the Grand Theft Auto V folder in the Root of M:\ So that gets that version back to working. I then rename that to Rockstar Games - Online (or something different just to identify it). I then rename the Rockstar Games - Mods folder back to Rockstar Games and create a Symbolic link to the Grand Theft Auto V folder on E:.

So I now have two Rockstar Games folders, that when renamed to just Rockstar Games, contain links to valid GTAV folders, that will appear in the right location.

Does that make any kind of sense, or am I just making this even more confusing? :D

Think of it as just taking the renaming process one step further backwards, to work on the outer folder instead of the actual game folder itself.

Ah. LOL. Doh on me! ;) So, basically you're just renaming your 2 custom folders ('Rockstar mods' & 'Rockstar clean') to 'Rockstar Games' again, depending on which one you need, right? :) Sure, that would work too; why not?!

• @meimeiriver said in maintaining 2 versions of GTA V:

Ah. LOL. Doh on me! So, basically you're just renaming your 2 custom folders ('Rockstar mods' & 'Rockstar clean') to 'Rockstar Games' again, depending on which one you need, right? Sure, that would work too; why not?!

Yeah, that's it. That would mean there would be no more restriction on the versions being on the same drive. It would be far more flexible to those like myself, with limited space.

I don't know why I didn't think of that when I initially looked at the whole two-folders thing. It makes perfect sense, as I have two versions that share a scripts folder and mods folder, so it's the same thing really.

• @meimeiriver It works. :) 2 versions, 2 completely different drives, each with their own mods folder but both sharing the same scripts folder.

In theory, this means that I could have roll-backs of every version of GTAV and all I would need to do, is write a small launcher app to handle all the renaming. I have got bat files for 3 folders but it's going to get messy after that, with all the existing folder checks in there.

I suspect that launcher bypass mod is also a massive help in getting it working, as there are no Social Club version checks taking place... so I haven't had to mess with the Social Club folders either.

• @meimeiriver Premature joy it would seem, I knew it was too good to be true. :(

The game runs fine, OpenIV lets you add files to the mods folder just fine (or either mods folder in my case). But if you try and search for anything, OpenIV throws a hissy fit and drops a blue error screen on you. An EDirectoryNotFoundException to be precise. That's on either the main game folder or in the mods folder.

Something in the back of my mind remembers something about that, it was a long time ago though and I can't remember it clearly. There is a bug listed on the OpenIV site about them but it is marked resolved... maybe that's what I remember. It seems odd that it is fine for everything apart from searching for something though.

• First, thank you all, I have managed to create to working versions of GTA V and I am rolling around in SP mods and it is wonderful. I was wondering, though, when a new update comes down the pike, how do I update the vanilla version to the latest version, without my modded delight updating, until I want it to? I have changed the Steam setting so that GTA V doesn't update automatically, but I am not sure how to force GTA V to update. Thank you.

• It was bound to happen. I had a system crash and was forced to wipe and reload my computer. I went through the process, downloaded GTA V in to my C drive, not the program files or program files (x86), and then renamed the folder to GTA V Modded. Went into steam and it downloaded the game again. Now I cannot rename the new folder to GTA V Vanilla. I cannot seem to find a way to rename the folder. I even tried Unlocker and it won't let me. I have full control and all the permissions and nothing works. Any ideas? Thank you.

• All i literally did was in my steam folder for my vanilla gta 5 i created a folder called "modded" then copied everything from the vanilla gta 5 folder into that "modded" folder. then i created a shortcut on the desktop of the vanilla gta 5 (GTAVLauncher.exe) an just renamed it "gta online" then with the gta 5 "modded" GTAVLauncher.exe i made another desktop shortcut and just renamed it to "MODDED" that way there is no confusion on which version i want to play. super easy to deal with.

It was bound to happen. I had a system crash and was forced to wipe and reload my computer. I went through the process, downloaded GTA V in to my C drive, not the program files or program files (x86), and then renamed the folder to GTA V Modded. Went into steam and it downloaded the game again. Now I cannot rename the new folder to GTA V Vanilla. I cannot seem to find a way to rename the folder. I even tried Unlocker and it won't let me. I have full control and all the permissions and nothing works. Any ideas? Thank you.

I don't recall any issues with renaming at all; but you might want to exit STEAM first. After renaming succeeds, you'll never have to rename again, ever (as you're just creating a different Junctions each time).

• @eaztbay Hunh, that sounds like that might be a viable workaround...thank you!

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.