[VEHICLE][WIP]USS Nathan James DDG-151 (US Navy Destroyer)

• @FoxtrotDelta it's the old model. I think if we took all the nice details (M242's, Torpedo tubes, textures, etc.) and combined them with this old model, it would look fabulous. The big problem with the current model is that they don't look like metal. I'm going to get those model parts and send them to @SkylineGTRFreak so he can implement them.

• I'm still waiting for this mod, and also the season 4 of the show. Don't give up guys :)

• @nathanjamesddg151 import the texture and it ll be fabolous (i find it very very white)

And nice pic! :)

• @Voltrock and not metallic enough also. But if we remap the hull with the hd textures from the new model, along with the normal maps, it will look much better.

• @nathanjamesddg151 metalic texture looks can be achieved in zm3 also, but having proper textures is a key to a beautiful mod

• @FoxtrotDelta do you have the zmodeler files? If so, can you implement normal maps for the hull and superstructure? @SkylineGTRFreak

• @nathanjamesddg151 i would love to, but at the moment i have alot of mods that i need to complete first. including your humvee. so it will take me a while to free up some time. i can make custom normal maps now as well. with decent Quality. but think, a model with such high price tag will have it's own normal and spec maps.

• @FoxtrotDelta I already have the normal map, I just need the ability to put it on the model.

• @nathanjamesddg151 it can be done very quickly. since skyline has the z3d file he can put it in like in 5 minutes. if you can give me the z3d saved file i'll do it right now. if that's the only thing need done. if i import yft into a new z3d file i will loose all the custom settings skyline made for it. so i need the z3d save file,

p.s when you will ask skyline for the z3d save file, i am sure he will say, let me do it myself. as it's a tiny step. :)

• @FoxtrotDelta okay. I think I have the z3d file. I'm at work right now.

• @nathanjamesddg151 sure later. when possible.

• @FoxtrotDelta are specular maps also easy to implement?

• @nathanjamesddg151 yea similar.

edit : note spec and normals must belong to the same model. cannot put different model specs and normals on a different model, as mapping is different and will cause ugly artifacts.

• @FoxtrotDelta @SkylineGTRFreak Started adding the new HD textures. It would look much better with normal maps, specular maps, and if the hull had full UV maps.
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

• @nathanjamesddg151 told you, he would do it. its better that he does it. after all its his effort all along.

Those details just got better.

• @FoxtrotDelta i know, i already emailed him

• @nathanjamesddg151 he is not feeling well. and is at home. i saw his last video he said that much in it.

• @FoxtrotDelta oh that sucks.

• @Voltrock Can you help me with the texturing? I'm trying to take the textures from the $1100 dollar version and integrate them into the lower poly $30 dollar version. The problem is, the old model's textures often overlap (it's hard to explain). I really could use the help.

• @Oskar @SkylineGTRFreak @FoxtrotDelta @CamxxCore What would happen if we made the details (hull, railings, bridge, etc.) of the Nathan James a map object and only have key parts (radar, conn, weapons, propellers, etc.) as the boat, and then used a script to attach them together? Alternatively, can we attach high poly "props" separately via script? Also, can map objects have weapons?

• @nathanjamesddg151 if u have 2 textures, it s possible to transfer the better even if it s in multiple parts

I can to help u, i want to finish texture for mig35d before , i m in late

• @Voltrock One problem you will encounter is that the hull and superstructure of the old model is not UV mapped well. It's a lot like the vanilla GTA V police cars.

• @nathanjamesddg151 That sounds like it has been decal mapped, which is fairly common on large structures.

If you fully UV map it 1:1, you have to create a texture where the decals maintain an acceptable resolution, relative to the total texture size. So what sometimes happens, is they will map a large area with tiling UV coords and then isolate sections for decals to go in that specific area. That means you can maintain optimal resolution without compromising the rest of the texture.

You can't create tiled coords on a segment of a texture sheet, as they need to be fully 0 - 1 in texture space. Unless they cover the whole width with U-tiling, or whole height with V-tiling, that is.

The other alternative is that they UV map the whole side and then float a second set of polys, just above the base layer to hold the decals.

• @LeeC2202 I figured it had something to do with file size since the texture map from my HD model is around 30mb. That being said, that one map pretty much covers the entire exterior model (i.e., hull, superstructure), with the exception of details such as guns and whatnot. I guess the real question is, would it be worth it to UV map the entire hull instead of just decal mapping?

• @nathanjamesddg151 said in [VEHICLE][WIP]USS Nathan James DDG-151 (US Navy Destroyer):

I guess the real question is, would it be worth it to UV map the entire hull instead of just decal mapping?

If it was me, on something big, I would be very hesitant to do so.

If you wanted to keep a bit of variety, you could tile-map it in segments, then map the decals in isolation. That way you get good coverage, good variety but higher resolution in the parts that need it most.

It's the kind of situation where you need to assess what are the priority features and what can you get away with in repetition. With something farily flat-sided like a boat, you could try a few variations with very few problems, or simply map either side with different methods and see which works the best.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.