[VEHICLE][WIP]USS Nathan James DDG-151 (US Navy Destroyer)

• @DevinDJR I noticed that lip too. I wondered why that was there, and it is a new gun, but it was more detailed and I bought it from Turbosquid (It shouldn't be too hard to remove). I also bought the chain guns, which are still a WIP. The CIWS (Which is a Block 1A, not a 1B like in real life) is from the Aircraft Carrier in GTA V, which itself was introduced in the Heists Update (it was free and relatively high quality). The mount was custom modeled by @SkylineGTRFreak, who also modeled the interior, (not the bridge or hanger bay). Not sure where he got the MH-60 though...

Oh, and I believe that the entire series is filmed on the West Coast. The USS Halsey (DDG-97) and the USS Dewey (DDG-105) was used in the first season a lot. I believe the USS Wayne E. meyer (DDG-108) was used in Season 2, and I'm not sure about Season 3. The interiors are actually movie sets though as with all the security combined with the cramped space made shooting on a real DDG somewhat impractical. They filmed a lot at NAS Diego. As for 3D modeling software, I don't do that. @SkylineGTRFreak does. He uses 3DS Max for the modeling and zmodeler 3 to convert it to GTA V. (Collisions, lights, etc.). I mainly texture stuff - if even. Mainly Photoshop for me.

Oh, and the LHD would be awesome, however, boats in GTA are kinda a headache to to them missing several features like lights, weapons, and doors. Well, I hope I covered most of it. @SkylineGTRFreak?

• @DevinDJR First off, it's great to hear from you and see your support. The model is very good to work with. I mean, it does give some problem due to GTA V having some limitations, but most of that is mmost of that can be handled so far. Biggest drawback are the non-functioning weapons, but I'm confident we'll get this done at some point.

As for the LHD, that would make a very cool addition to the game as well. The plus side on that one would be, that non working weapons aren't really an issue here, so we can scratch that off. I would definitely like to take a look at the possibilities.

@nathanjamesddg151 The base model of the MH-60 (for now) comes from Ace Combat, which was originally an MH-60L sepcial operations Black Hawk. Textures are kinda low resolution though, so I may have to go over that again. As for 3DsMax, yea, I used that for modelling in the beginning, but now most stuff is directly made in ZM3. It's not anywhere near the convenience modelling wise, but it was dull to get the model from ZM3 to Max and vice versa. The programs didn't really like each other. So while I do have to make some trade-offs, I feel that this is the better way.

• @SkylineGTRFreak

Nice to talk to you. So I really don't play GTA but the project intrigues me. So I'm willing to put forth the time to help remodel the ships bridge and possibly a a unclassified version of the CIC if you guys want although that will require passageways hopefully that will lead from the bridgedown below the main deck just under the forward superstructure.

Although with the heavy modeling I might have to place the hall but I made lower poly in place of the one that is already there. Do you use any private file sharing website so I can also transfer you the elite Stevia file sharing website or via link off of my Google drive with a temporary password for your download. Let me know which version you were interested in if you were interested in the version with the planes on deck or the empty deck LHD let me know which version you were interested in if you were interested in the version with the planes on deck or the empty deck LHD.

As for the DDG model that has been modded, if you want me to do the rework bridge I will have ti guy the bridge because it is completely inaccurate and perhaps add some Low poly Captains chairs and an updated bridge alll around.

Now about below the water line. I have redone the ships screws to be more accurate.

Let me know when you want to do this and let me know your thoughts on this.

-Devin

• @DevinDJR I personally use Google Drive for secure files. @SkylineGTRFreak also has on occasion so that would be good. I can't speak for @SkylineGTRFreak , but we have some passageways in already, albeit needing some work. The CIC would be awesome, however, my main concern would be poly count. That being said, ( @SkylineGTRFreak) since the CIC would essentially be nonfunctional, perhaps we could add it to the extra vehicle we are using for the weapons, or add another vehicle? I don't want to add to many, though I'm not sure if the game will try to render what it can't see.

While on the topic of passageways, @SkylineGTRFreak mentioned that there was something in the boat that didn't allow him to make a passageway connecting the bridge to the hanger bay. I'm not sure if that's a problem for what you want to implement - or if you have any ideas on that.

Oh, and textures. New textures would be nice, though I like how all the hull codes and names are on a single texture. The biggest texture issues I have at the moment is the flight deck and the danger circle around the 5-inch gun. Also, any pictures you could get of the labels/stickers on the sides of the consoles would be great. I'm not sure if they are standard throughout the fleet, but meh. Like a lot of the detail can be done with textures and normal maps.

Also, the frame/border around the aft VLS system appears to be missing. So that will also have to be added back.

And last but not least, I'm not sure how you want to do this, that's between you and @SkylineGTRFreak. He usually just adds the models by porting them into zmodeler. Though I suppose @SkylineGTRFreak could always send a 3DS Max version to you to see what is going on and where things need to be? The best bet would to model them separately and then send it to @SkylineGTRFreak who will port it into the zmodeler model. The only problem I forsee there is that sometimes zmodeler will greatly increase the poly count from what it said in other 3D modeling programs. But like Isaid, those details are left up to you and @SkylineGTRFreak.

• @nathanjamesddg151 @SkylineGTRFreak

Ok so I will look into redoing some parts of the model with @SkylineGTRFreak. As for textures that will be no problem to get actual images of onboard ship labels and stickers. I just need to know what you want to use and what you are looking for because a US Navy ships is a floating safety warning.

As for the model and making a CIC I can create a very simple CIC that with the textures will look detailed but isn't to bad. As for a P-Way (what we call hallways) or passageway from the bridge down to CIC what do you mean there is something blocking you do you have a description perhaps I can re work it when I put it in. Let me know.

I will look into using the google drive for file transferring as well. For the LHD just need to know which version he is looking for and what not.

Also what did you mean you having an issue with the flight deck texture and danger ring around the 5".

• @DevinDJR Well the flight deck texture is kinda low quality along with the danger circle around the 5-inch gun. It is a great texture, but it is too small. The red circle is somewhat blurry. Frankly, if the texture were a bit bigger or had more pixels in it, it would be better. Oh, and @SkylineGTRFreak may end up modeling the RAST system on the flight deck. And if I remember correctly, normal maps in GTA V work kinda funny or something.

As for the blockage, I think that it was a collision or something? I'm not entirely sure. I have an email from @SkylineGTRFreak that better describes that. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: So apparently @SkylineGTRFreak modeled a floor, which blocks a hypothetical passageway from the bridge to the hanger bay.

• @DevinDJR Also, check this webpage out: http://www.artsecretsentertainment.com/THE.LAST.SHIP.TV.series/index.html
    It is from the production designer who worked on The Last Ship. While I'm sure you have a pretty good idea on what the bridge and CIC look like, a little refresher can't hurt. Even though most of these photos (there are a lot, some of which are unrelated to the project at hand, though still from The Last Ship) aren't on an actual DDG, the research team had the support of the US Navy which means that they had access to these areas and they painstakingly recreated them, with help from the US Navy. Here's a layout of a DDG-51 CIC. It might be helpful:
    alt text

• @nathanjamesddg151

Hey, Thanks Althought that image is from an old base line of CIC, I am aware about the layout of the CIC would you like a real CIC Lookalike layout or one that matches the james in the film?

With this being said i still need to talk to @SkylineGTRFreak about the ship model. Also Skyline what other Naval vesssels would you be interested in perhaps a Ticonderoga Class Cruiser as well? Let me know looks like you can do great things.

• @DevinDJR I figured as such, but if the exact layout is classified, we don't want to break any laws. But if not, then yeah, a real layout would be great. I think if you were able to model it, @SkylineGTRFreak would figure out a way to implement it.

• @nathanjamesddg151 I can definitely model it. I just would need to rework it into the ship and create accurate P-Ways the problem however is going to be the poly count so what i can do is take the existing model and reduce the poly count on mine because I haven't released the lower poly version yet and there isn't really a noticeable difference.

The Bridge and CIC will take about a couple days to model if i really get inspire i get into these modeling moods where i start modeling and won't stop doing it for a couple days but it has to spark my interest as this does. I want to try to Skype with @SkylineGTRFreak and get him to mirror the screen with me so I can show him some of the model I have been working on.

• @DevinDJR I do believe that @SkylineGTRFreak uses Skype. That being said, if you are able to model the bridge and passageways, some of the finer details, like warning labels, etc. can be made separately (Like I could do it). Poly count is kinda an issue, though we may just be able to make it work. I don't have the most current up to date raw files, otherwise I'd send them to you. Also the poly limit for GTA seems to be around 500K, though I have heard of some mods going up to 720K polies. We can also add more "vehicles" (basically since GTA V boats don't support weapons, lights, doors, etc., we have to "attach (via script) a separate vehicle (a car) so that we can have functional weapons) to make it work. Also, I made a navy floor texture, and I figure if we have a long p-way, we could add the white star on the floor. I'll send you the texture. Might want to use it later on if you want. Once again, thanks for your help. EDIT: Does the Navy give you a lot of time off? : D

• Well I have a 3 Day weekend this weekend, I had duty yesterday. When we are in port we mostly are off by 4 everyday sometimes earlier.

• Hello friend @SkylineGTRFreak models free BF1

• @CANAL-EMBRAER-GTA Nice... but a little off-topic. We've had some issues with that on this thread. (i.e. "some" would be an understatement).

• @nathanjamesddg151 yes I published in topict but no one say nothing :/

@SkylineGTRFreak Hello Mr. SkylineGTRFreak, I just wanted to sincerely express my adoration for your amazing work, talent, and generosity to the GTA V community. I have yet to begin playing with mods but I have been checking out the site for months and I have been consistently wowed by your works. Hopefully this week I can get around to using mods on GTA V and some of your amazing vehicles.

Kind regards.

DarthPungz

• @SkylineGTRFreak said in [VEHICLE][WIP]USS Nathan James DDG-151 (US Navy Destroyer):

MH-60

i could get this sh-60 seahawk if you want. sent you a PM. it is high quality. poly and textures.

alt text

• @SkylineGTRFreak @nathanjamesddg151

i have sent you the optamized Hummer. i could not do anymore as the details were kinda going away. so i optamized it to like 50% polycounts i think. have a look at the image below. and read the Personal messages i sent you guys. very few details have been lost. but yea very few. let me know what you guys think. also you will need to use Group function. as attaching or joining compounds/pieces together will be problematic. use the Group fucntion and then make a compound afterwards. and Making only L0 lod will be better. and we can change the lod distance in vehicle meta just like i did with the mc-27j mod of mine.

OPENIV Image you should resize it though. its huge at the moment.

alt text
    alt text

if you guys decide to ditch it. i might make it but . later in time. Textures are problametic. but nothing that can't be fixed :)

• @FoxtrotDelta way to go! @SkylineGTRFreak will be adding a new rear bumper and a turret. And it appears, in terms of poly count to be the same amount of polys as originally stated on the Turbosquid page.

• @nathanjamesddg151 Good to know. but he will have to work alot on this one i think. GOod Luck. too many details..

• Just an update, we've taken another crack at the seaplane handling, and it looks like we've been successful. We are also using a new model, a very expensive one, that is more accurate and has better textures.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm?ID=806738&stgURLFragment=3d-models/maya-uss-michael-murphy-ddg-112/
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

I will be retexturing it to the Nathan James, and @DevinDJR is currently working on the bridge. @Oskar will still be writing a script (he also got the handling to work), and @SkylineGTRFreak will be converting it. It also looks like we will have some passageways, the CIC, the bridge, and hanger bays modeled.

• @nathanjamesddg151 What do you mean by crack at the seaplane handling? Anyway, that was a nice news!

• @AKmaster It originally didn't work as it crashed the game, but we tried it again, with different settings and it appears to work. We want to use the seaplane handling because it allows working for working weapons, doors, etc. which will make our lives easier instead of having to script them.

• Oh, I saw a seaplane mod that has working weapons (tank cannon, machine gun, etc.). So Nathan James will use seaplane handling but you will just remove its flying capability and make it drive like a ship?

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.