How to ask for help and support
So there are quite a few questions with no information at all, asking to fix their problem. This isn't useful for any party here, neither the people willing to help nor you. Some common sense would be nice, but here's a checklist to ensure you're getting help faster. There are many things that can go wrong during modding, so any information to identify the problem would help immensely. We're all doing this in our free time, so not many people even bother with asking for further details. Please mention the following things:
- The version of GTA V you're running.
- The mod that you have problems with.
- The other mods.
- Relevant log files for script mods. (asiloader.log, ScriptHookV.log, ScriptHookVDotNet2.log) Please upload these log files on www.pastebin.com, as they can be rather long.
- What you already tried.
Example of what NOT to do:
Title: car go help me pls
Message: i have mod problem pls you must help me now
Example of something that would get help:
Title: Cars disappear when I spawn them!
Hi, I'm running the latest GTA V (version 1.0.1103.2 on Steam) and I updated OpenIV, ScriptHookV, ScriptHookVDotNet. Here are the logs:
- asiloader.log on pastebin
- ScriptHookV.log on pastebin
- ScriptHookVDotNet2.log on pastebin
I tried disabling every mod except my trainer and Script Hook and the new cars from new DLCs still disappear!
With the latter, people can spot the error much quicker (in the example, it's likely that mods to enable new DLC cars haven't been installed).
A few other tips:
- Use the forum search! The problem might exist before.
- Use @mention (for example, @ikt) to mention people. It might help to mention the mod author of the mod you're having a problem with, if you haven't already done so on the mod's reaction page.
- If it's a script mod, check if it has logs of its own. The authors usually want those to figure out what went wrong.
- Finally, if you managed to fix it on your own, leave a comment in your own thread with how you fixed it. There's nothing more annoying than seeing a problem you have, only to have the thread end with "nvm, fixed"
I thought @LeeC2202 had posted something like this already, but I couldn't find it back.
@ikt FINALLY! Wish I could uptick you twice for this. Now watch, as we continue to get "Need help now", "game crashes", and who never grows tired of this all-time favorite, "How do I put mods on Xbox", LOL.
As if... the posters of said threads will read or even comprehend what you're trying to accomplish with a post like this
Great! Thanks for making this topic. Pinned
@Dondan11 Please don't hijack this topic and create your own for your issues. This is only a tutorial on how to ask for help and support.
@ikt Locked the topic to prevent this from happening again. PM me if you want it unlocked.