New to the MODDING scene, had a couple questions. Not entirely stupid I promise

• I know I know, everyone hates a noob, but we all start somewhere. I have MODDED multiple games, and this one is definitely the most difficult, at least from my perspective.

I have been doing a ton and I mean a ton of researching online to make sure I do everything right, but no surprise, I fucked up. I was attempting to install new car models, as this has been a long time thing I wanted to do, and at first I thought I did it right, using Open IV but they were not showing up in game. I went back read the README all over and decided to try to put them in the actual game folders along with the MODs folder. Did I fuck up already? Probably, because now the game just crashes immediately after start up.

So I uninstalled the game to start fresh, and it is currently installing again now. So, to prevent another mishap the second time around, had a couple questions.

1. Am I just putting the files in the MODs folder only?

2. There are times when the README confuses the shit out of me and I am computer savy, so I am not completely clueless.
      Here is an example of what I mean

Installation:

1:Copy update folder to
    X:\Grand Theft Auto V\

2:Use OpenIV extract
    X:\Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf\common\data\dlclist.xml
    then use notepad open it,add new line
    <Item>dlcpacks:\viper</Item>
    Save it and use OpenIV replace it.

3:Use OpenIV extract
    X:\Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf\common\data\extratitleupdatedata.meta
    then use notepad open it,add new line
    <Item type="SExtraTitleUpdateMount">
    <deviceName>dlc_VIPER:/</deviceName>
    <path>update:/dlc_patch/VIPER/</path>
    </Item>
    Save it and use OpenIV replace it.

My question is, do I actually move the provided "update" folder to the actual GTA V directory? Or to the MODs folder?
    Second, is the second and third step. I use Winrar, so the files are already accessed, if that matters? I use OpenIV and edit the file straight from the MODs folder and add those lines as stated. Should I be doing that? Or am I suppose to straight extract the file to the desktop, edit it, and then move it to the destination in the MODs folder? Or is that redundant?

1. When these things are actually done correctly, is there an in-game menu I need to open to activate them? Or is this shit already done and all I need to do is open the game and it should be there?

2. Sometimes the ReadMe provides a file destination that isn't in the provided folder. But I see the location elsewhere. Should I just put it in the latest patchday folder then? Is it basically the same thing?

That is all I have for now. Any recommendations or reminders, please throw my way. Sorry for the novel, tried to keep it as short as possible. Appreciate any help.

@Coff There are a few tutorials that may ease your confusion, such as the most visited one on this forum. It's a lot of info though, so I'll try answering your questions. I recommend also checking video tutorials on YouTube.

1. Yes. Anything in the mods folder will be loaded into the game instead of the equivalent file/folder in your installation folder.
      Ex:
      "Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf"
      "Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf"

The update.rpf in the first line will be loaded into the game instead of the the one in the second line. If you edit something that is not in the mods folder, the game will usually notice it and try to redownload the file you edited, plus some other ones that you may have touched.
    Be sure you have OpenIV.asi inside your installation folder, along with ScripthookV.

1. This is where that tutorial linked above will come in handy. What you've pasted here are generic instructions for installing an add-on, whether it be a vehicle, a weapon, a ped, etc. The basic steps are these:
    • In the rar/zip file, you will find a folder that contains a dlc.rpf file. That folder goes into Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks. Ex: Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\viper\dlc.rpf
    • Now with OpenIV, go to Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf\common\data\ and copy the dlclist.xml to your desktop. Find the line that starts with
      <item>dlcpacks: inside the readme or description of the mod you want to install, and paste it into the dlclist.xml you have on your desktop. It should look just like all the other <item>dlcpacks: lines. What you just did was tell the game that you now have another dlc/add-on you want the game to load.
    • Ignore the instructions that tell you to edit extratitleupdatedata.meta, you don't need to.
    • Finally, using OpenIV, copy the dlclist.xml that you edited to Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf\common\data\. It is now installed.
    • Start the game, and spawn the vehicle using Add-on Vehicle Spawner, Simple Trainer, or Menyoo. The vehicles will not be driven by NPCs or otherwise appear in-game naturally unless you get another mod for that.
    • If your game doesn't load, you will need to install a modified gameconfig.xml for your game version. There are many here.
    1. See the second-last bullet point above^

2. If you're referring to replacing vehicles instead of installing an add-on, then yeah, you can just use the latest patchday folder I believe. If there are specific mods that you have trouble installing then it would be better to ask for help on the mods comment page, or here in the forums (but please name the mods specifically).

• @stillhere Thank you very much for the reply. I am going to try what you stated and hopefully get it working right. Thank you again. I will report back sometime tomorrow with the result

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.