Separate Map Editor Maps and True Add-On Maps (addon not including mapeditor2ymap)

• We should do something about the mess that is the maps section, it is filled with some dumb maps and some good maps and with this new map editor to ymap tool, those people will make their map editor maps into "add-on" and keep calling them add-on, yet TRUE add-on is with custom collisions, custom models, ytyp, etc, etc I think we should separate the two types of mods scince browsing for add-on maps is really hard and will only get harder with this new ymap tool.

Send this to the 5mods admins!

• @Derpy-Canadian I agree on the fact that map section should have more category and better organisation. I proposed that to rappo multiple time but he was lazy to do category and prefered keep it with basic tag, may now @Dark0ne is here, he will reorganise that a bit like it is on nexus ( would be fucking great ;P)

But I don't agree with the rest. In some way you're saying that map editor map are not good and that addon custom prop map are good ? It's wrong.
    Some map editor map can be better that a converted map.
    ex https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/twist-mountain-add-on
    vs https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/underwater-headquarters-covered-by-yacht-party

I dont disrespect your work, it just to say that map editor permit too add a lot of detail in an easy way and really fast while converted map are often low detailed ( not always for sure)
    Also, about "true" add-on map, it can be a map that come in addon for custom prop but ALSO for ymap. You can't say that map editor converted to ymap are not " true " addon.
    Addon represent an addition whatever it's a map editor, a ymap, or custom prop.

• I hope you realize who you're talking to.... one of the few main-ish devs of the biggest mod in GTA V.. (the mod is classified until release i'll give you that much)

• This post is deleted!

• @ryanm2711 well actually I have one disagreement, map editor is not crap, its just some maps made with it, some are good then most are bad and pointless also Guadmaz did a good job i'd say making that from scratch but still I agree in a sense

• @Derpy-Canadian well idk what you're talking about and I don't see the point anyway.

I didn't want to offense comparing one of your map with a map editor one, just said that Map editor/menyoo map can be as good or even better that " true " addon map.

I see you clarify your statement, and can only agree, some are good, some aren't. But everyone should have right to start from somewhere. And for that, menyo and map editor are great tool.

I don't see the point to be angry about the fact that they can port their map to ymap. It's a great tool that @sollaholla did and it will help a lot of people in addtion of increasing performance.
    Concurency make people work better, you'll have no difficulty to make your mod highlighted if you're the mainish devs of the biggest mod in gta V if that what afraid you

If there is a point you're right to complain is about the map section organisation, it would be easyer to find map if they were organised with more under category.

@ryanm2711 hu dude, be cool, I mitigate my words, I didn't say map editor is always better, I said they can be better.
    Map editor is not shit, less again now that we've ymap converter. What these it change if it's the game content or not ? There is ton of good props ready to use, detailled, with dynamic, etc etc etc
    Also you can use custom content with map editor. that with ymap made it just a really usefull tool to create map.
    And finaly, as I said , it wasn't aimed to be offensive, just a comparison, i don't get the point of saying me it's " the second dev of one of the biggest gta V mods classified until finished ".
    (Modesty seems far away) what the point of putting this argument ?

Also and this is the last point, MapEditor/menyoo Map requier creativity compare to converted map ( i don't talk about people that create the map themself wich requier creativity and knoweldge sure), a thing that you should respect, some people made awsome map with the limited amount of prop they got.

• First of all, I can see a problem here, Yes there's a lot of Menyoo/me maps that in general are pretty bad, also it floods the map category with a lot of dumbs maps, I'm supporting the idea to do a different category with maps, (DLC maps understood as "custom models with some complexity in their functioning like LODs,Traffic,Lights and behaviors, and the
    "mainstream" Map Editors maps in his own category.

Next point is the amount of work of each method, In game method vs External method, both can be as good as the other or even better, here the problem isn't the tools by itself, because bad mods aren't fault of OpenIV authors or Map Editor author, is the people who uses those programs that make bad mods or quality mods, this depends of the usage of the tools by each user, this case is very similar with the image problem of Unity Engine that's a very pretty good game engine that suffers of shitty games create by the community, that manages to even public their games without any pinch of quality, also the tool itself , speaking of both tools (Map Editor /Menyoo , MME to ymap) are very good and easy to use which are very good to attract more people into modding with logic side effects such the mediocrity of the maps, but you aren't having this in mind, the style of doing this kind of maps is a lot more versatile and handy than the 3dsmax-ish maps, also is very similar to the level making of popular game engines like Unreal Engine 4 or Unity, all the models has to be made by hand and set placed in the world by the own designer hand in order to create a level and do this in modelling software are worse for some reasons like the performance,utility,etc.

Another point that you missed is the fact that this kind of programs can be used by ourselves to add some details to the custom maps that's always welcome and beneficiary in any sense, but you are being a hater of all the map editors which exists since a lot of time in a great variety of game engines, this is only a easier version, ingame that nearly everyone can use and upload their work to this page, i know that the great majority of them aren't very well crafted and it has bad quality but isn't a good idea to put someone to judge what mods deserves to be uploaded or not, I don't know any free mods page what do this, and Nexus Mods has a lot of mods of a large variety of games which also has his owns shit mods, but for good, you can skip it and good forward of the Top Mods and you will the best of the best for enhance your gaming experience.

Last thing, a message for all modders out here of any game, please, make sure that when you are doing your mod, keep in mind to do it as good as possible, don't upload it until the mod meets the wished objective and be good as it has to be. Happy Modding and let's make this game more alive than ever

• @MrVicho13 Vicho are you trying to rub the fact in that I uploaded a mod with some huge glitches? "don't upload it until the mod meets the wished objective and be good as it has to be. Happy Modding and let's make this game more alive than ever"

• @MrVicho13 but yes we could use that tool for props in some of our maps but still... people doing full map editor mods as ymap is unnecessary

• @Derpy-Canadian totaly depend of map, some full map editor map are really good, convert them to ymap will increase performance and his a necessity for user

• @Derpy-Canadian said in Separate Map Editor Maps and True Add-On Maps (add-on not including mapeditor2ymap):

those people will make their map editor maps into "add-on" and keep calling them add-on, yet TRUE add-on is with custom collisions, custom models, ytyp, etc, etc I think we should separate the two types of mods since browsing for add-on maps is really hard and will only get harder with this new ymap tool.

So are you saying that I shouldn't have made the tool? I don't understand the difference between using my tool to make ymaps and using, say, RAGE engine to create ymaps. Think about it, if CodeWalker released a MapEditor to YMap converter, it's basically just RAGE engine, or Unity, or Unreal (you're just generating a file to load it into the game). I worked hard as hell on this tool, man. For you to say (add-on not including mapeditor2ymap) is like saying "only allow scripts made with C++ so fuck those guys who worked hard on ScriptHookVDotNet, am-I-right?". I understand our map section is biased, and a big fat mess, which can easily be fixed by utilizing the tags feature, but to say someone who wants to lessen their workload should be bunched in with "Spiderman vs. Elsa RACING KIDS TOY MAP" is bullshit IMHO. IIRC doesn't OpenIV have openFormats exactly for this reason? To allow any developer to create tools that make making assets an easier thing to do?

Maybe I missunderstood the topic.

Also dude, saying "I hope you realize who you're talking to.... one of the few main-ish devs of the biggest mod in GTA V.. (the mod is classified until release i'll give you that much)" is hella cringey. lol

• @sollaholla no not at all, sorry if I made it seem like that, because it is useful I may even use it because sometimes I cannot get props to convert on my add-on maps. and by me saying add-on not including mapeditor2ymap is because some people with this tool out, will count their converted map editor mods as "proper" add-on maps. also about the hella cringy I know. that is what I was aiming for but still it is true I am one of the main devs of one of the biggest if not THE biggest mod. once again, sorry if I offended you.

• @Derpy-Canadian Technically they could port their own props for use in the map editor.

It's hella better than my tactic: Using ROBLOX to build your maps... (ROBLOX creates too many triangles and vertexes, making it hard on some systems.)

• @Derpy-Canadian I don't understand how you can say that map editor maps are not good. Map Editor, at its core, allows you to place props/3d objects and rotate them and do whatever you want with them. Its up to the people on how they use it. Its kind of like bashing on SHVDN just because there are a lot of bad SHVDN scripts out there... but you can't say that SHVDN is a bad tool, can you?

People can make custom 3d objects and use them with Map Editor. So they can also be TRUE add-on maps.

But I do agree with you that the map category should be better filtered using the tags system, but that's up to the admins and the moderators.

• @Derpy-Canadian "I am one of the main devs of one of the biggest if not THE biggest mod", interesting words, but, we saw before people speaking something like that without major popularity after release.

Map tools are pretty necessary, no matters if are not complete. Nobody has the entire GTA V source code (anyone that say yes, is a liar) to get the full map development with all features in props, animations, etc. Sollahola map tool, Code Walker and the others are useful today, works fine and sure, will to support new features, but the main tool and Biggest Mod Ever Is OpenIV and there is a tragic bottleneck in the development... (coff! T2! coff!).

• @Rarefacer cough cough this project is something that T2 wont be so kind with

• @Derpy-Canadian AFAIK you're converting a GTA IV map mod to GTA V. Take 2 is fine with that.

• Why wasn't the FM5 showroom map converted yet?
    That was pretty neato ViP map in IV. Still have the files somewhere me thinks

alt text

• @ReNNie Hmm I can work on it :D

• @AHK1221Exactly they wont be, thats why its gonna prob be private

• @Derpy-Canadian but...... you're converting a GTA IV map MOD. Take 2 is fine, cause its not part of its IP.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.