[Tutorial] Grand Theft Auto V Modding - A Few Things You Should Know
This tutorial will help you a bit in installing mods for Grand Theft Auto V.
The files on this site are for the PC/Microsoft Windows version of the game, Console versions (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3) are not supported.
Pirated versions are not supported.
Discussions about Piracy and Console modding are not allowed in this forum. Posting such threads may result in your posts getting removed/locked.
Please read the FAQ before posting.
To view the screenshots, click the down arrow button.
You will need:
- A Text Editor. Notepad/Wordpad would do just fine. Download Notepad++ here.
- Script Hook V
- Community Script Hook V .NET
Table Of Contents
1. Install and start OpenIV
1.1 Creating the mods folder
1.2 How to play GTA: Online safely by using two copies of Grand Theft Auto V
2. Installing Script Hook V and Community Script Hook V .NET
3. Installing vehicle mods
3.1 Spawn add-on cars in traffic
3.2 Editing vehiclemodelsets.meta
4. Editing Dispatch.meta
5. Script Mods
5.1 Installing an .asi mod
5.2 Installing a .dll mod
5.3 Installing a .cs mod
5.4 Installing a .lua mod
1. Install and start OpenIV.
- Go to OpenIV/Tools/ASI Manager and install OpenIV.ASI.
- The other two also can be installed safely.
Creating the mods folder
If you want to play online, you have to use the "Mods" folder.
You must do this step if you have a legally bought copy of Grand Theft Auto V.Otherwise RGSC/Steam will download the original files and replace the modded files.
Create a folder in the root of GTA V (where GTA5.exe is located) and name it to "mods".
Advantages Disadvantages Stops RGSC/Steam replacing the modded files It needs extra storage, sometimes more than 40GB. Original GTA V files remain untouched. Easy backups.
How to get the Mods folder working
- Just creating a folder and renaming it to "mods" is not enough. You need to place the RPF files you modded inside the mods folder. Here are few examples.
Original Path Path in mods folder GTAV\update\update.rpf mods\update\update.rpf GTAV\common.rpf mods\common.rpf GTAV\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpbiker\dlc.rpf mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpbiker\dlc.rpf GTAV\x64e.rpf mods\x64e.rpf
How to play GTA: Online safely by using two copies of Grand Theft Auto V
The safest way to play online is having two copies of Grand Theft Auto V. One for mods, the other for online.
However, using the mods folder is still necessary to disable modded files being replaced by the game.
The two copies must be in the same directory.
- One copy must be named "Grand Theft Auto V - mods" : for single player use only.
- The other should be "Grand Theft Auto V - online" : for online use only.
Example using the Steam version:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V - mods
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V - online
When you want to play online, you change the Grand Theft Auto V - Online version, to just Grand Theft Auto V and the registry will be pointing at that version.
When you want to use mods, you rename Grand Theft Auto V back to Grand Theft Auto V - Online and then rename Grand Theft Auto V - Mods to Grand Theft Auto V and the registry will use that one.
The following method is provided by @LeeC2202 to make things easier when you use two copied of Grand Theft Auto V.
All the credits go to him.
This is basically what your Rockstar Games Folder would look like with this setup.
To get this working, you need to make sure that you have the two folders created and named with one version as the active version.
Then you need to create two text files, one called Play GTAV - Mods.bat and one called Play GTAV - Online.bat. In those files add the following text.
Play GTAV - Mods.bat
IF EXIST "Grand Theft Auto V - Online" GOTO end REN "Grand Theft Auto V" "Grand Theft Auto V - Online" REN "Grand Theft Auto V - Mods" "Grand Theft Auto V" ECHO Playing with Mods :end cd "Grand Theft Auto V" GTAVLauncher.exe exit
Play GTAV - Online.bat
IF EXIST "Grand Theft Auto V - Mods" GOTO end REN "Grand Theft Auto V" "Grand Theft Auto V - Mods" REN "Grand Theft Auto V - Online" "Grand Theft Auto V" ECHO Playing Online :end cd "Grand Theft Auto V" GTAVLauncher.exe exit
Create the two shortcuts to those .bat files (right-click and drag a .bat file and choose Create shortcuts here) and place them anywhere you like, on your desktop etc... Just make sure you can tell them apart somehow.
2. Installing Script Hook V and Community Script Hook V .NET
Script Hook V
- Copy ScriptHookV.dll from the downloaded file to the game's root folder, where GTA5.exe is located.
- Copy dinput8.dll In order to load ASI plugins.
Community Script Hook V .NET
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher. No need to do this step on Windows 10.
- Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013 (x64). Newer mods require C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2015.
- Copy the ASI file into your game directory.
- Create a folder named "scripts" in your game directory.
ScripthookV.dll shouldn't go into the scripts folder.
3. Installing vehicle mods
- Obviously, you need a mod. Download a suitable add-on mod. I'll be using the 2015 Ferrari 488 GTB by Peas.
- Extract the mod to somewhere. Use WinRAR or 7Zip or a similar software.
There should be a folder usually named after the car or the author of the mod. Example: 488gtb, in this case.
- Copy and paste the folder into GTA V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks
- Start OpenIV, go to GTA V\mods\update\update.rpf\common\data and extract the dlclist.xml to your desktop. That way, it's easy to change it when installing another mod.
Here's the vanilla dlclist.xml.
- Open the dlclist.xml and go to the very end of the xml file.
The end should look like this:
add <Item>dlcpacks:\mod folder name</Item> before </Paths>.
Drag and drop dlclist.xml to \mods\update\update.rpf\common\data.
- What about the extratitleupdatedata.meta?
That file is of no use to modders, there is never any reason to enter information into that file. Ignore anything in a mod that tells you to edit it.
Install the trainer, Start the game and open the trainer.
Select "Spawn vehicle" option, and select "Spawn vehicle by model name" option and type the vehicle name. It should be given in the read-me file. In this case, it's 488gtb.
- It should spawn now.
You have to replace an existing vanilla vehicle with a modded one.
Replacing too many vehicles will cause lag, use with caution.
Download and extract the mod.
Put the model files into the latest patchday DLC - currently patchday13ng.
Make sure to put the modded DLC into the mods folder.
The directory is Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\patchday13ng\dlc.rpf\x64\levels\gta5\vehicles.rpf\
If the mod requires replacing handling and vehicles meta files, do it exactly as the read-me says. Otherwise your vehicle may do strangle things, like flipping while turning.
Use a trainer and spawn the vanilla vehicle or find it driving in-game.
If the downloaded vehicle is a Replace mod and you want to create an add-on for it by yourself, read this tutorial.
Spawn add-on cars in traffic:
- You need to edit the popgroups.ymt. As far as I can remember, it's encrypted in the PC version, so you need a console version to edit it. One can be found here.
- To add the vehicle into traffic, paste this: <Item><Name>"vehiclemodelname"</Name><Variations type="NULL"/></Item>
- Type the spawn name of the vehicle in (vehiclemodelname) part.
Vehicle Group Description <Name>VEH_POOR</Name> Poor vehicles. <Name>VEH_MID</Name> Middle class vehicles. <Name>VEH_RICH</Name> Luxury cars. <Name>VEH_HAULAGE</Name> Vehicles that can haul. <Name>VEH_UTILITY</Name> Utility vehicles. <Name>VEH_FREEWAY</Name> Vehicles that spawn in Freeways. <Name>VEH_LARGE_CITY</Name> Vehicles that spawn in large cities. <Name>VEH_COUNTRYSIDE_OFFROAD</Name> Vehicles that appear in Blaine County, Off road. <Name>VEH_COUNTRYSIDE_ONROAD</Name> Vehicles that appear in Blaine County, On road. <Name>VEH_YANKTON</Name> Vehicles that appear in North Yankton. <Name>VEH_BIKES</Name> Bikes. <Name>VEH_ARMY</Name> Army vehicles. <Name>VEH_BOATS</Name> Boats. <Name>VEH_BICYCLES</Name> Bicycles. <Name>VEH_BEACH_BIKE</Name> Bicycles that appear on beaches. <Name>VEH_LOST</Name> Lost MC's vehicles. <Name>VEH_COPCAR</Name> Police vehicles. <Name>VEH_COPRURAL</Name> Police vehicles that appear in Blaine County. <Name>VEH_HWAYCOP</Name> Highway police vehicles. <Name>VEH_TAXI</Name> Commercial vehicles. <Name>VEH_AIRPORT</Name> Airport vehicles. <Name>VEH_TRANSPORT</Name> Transport vehicles.
When adding one car can be added under several groups given above.
- For an example, "Bugatti Chiron" can be added under <Name>VEH_RICH</Name> and <Name>VEH_FREEWAY</Name>.
After editing, replace the original popgroups.ymt in mods\update\update.rpf\x64\levels\gta5.
This can be found in mods\update\update.rpf\common\data\ai
Extract it to desktop and explore it. You will notice several groups like
This is where we can make large add-on/existing aircraft land and spawn in LS Airport.
<Variations type="NULL" />
<Probability value="1.000000" />
This is where small aircraft are handled, like the Shamal, Luxor and the Nimbus.
There are several interesting spawning locations in the vehiclemodelsets.meta. After you edited it, replace the modified file over the original.
4. Editing Dispatch.meta
Dispatch meta is where police chases are handled although it handles a few other stuffs, like Ambulance responses.
The first thing you should see is some numbers. This is for delaying and speeding up police/fire crew/paramedic spawns. Edit them by yourself to see what happens.
Then you will come across with stuff like
- Like the popgroups.ymt, add your add-on police car names under a suitable category.
After editing, replace the original.
5. Script Mods
Script mods add a vast number of different features into Grand Theft Auto V.
Script mods come in different formats, notably in .asi , .dll , .cs and in .lua formats.
Installing an .asi mod:
Make sure you have installed Script Hook V, Community Script Hook V .NET and ASI Loader.
- Download and extract the script mod. (example: Simple Trainer)
- Put the files in the GTA V main folder, where GTA5.exe is located.
Installing a .dll (.NET) mod:
You will need Community Script Hook V .NET.
Installing ScripthookV is necessary.
If a mod requires NativeUI, download and place it inside the scripts folder.
- Download and extract the script mod. (example: On-Foot Cinematic Cam)
- In most situations, you will see two files, a .dll file and an .ini file. .dll file is the script, .ini is it's configuration settings file. Put both inside the Scripts folder, if you don't have one, just create a folder and name it to "scripts". If you want to edit the key bindings, edit them in the .ini file.
Installing a .cs mod:
You will need Script Hook V and Community Script Hook V .NET.
- Download the mod. (example: Automatic Air Vents / Lateral Wings for various vehicles)
- Put the files inside the scripts folder.
Installing a .lua mod:
- Download and extract the script mod.
- Put the files inside scripts/addins folder.
Scripts folder with a .dll script, NativeUI and a .cs script.
If you want to make sure you've done everything correctly, follow these steps.
Script written by @LeeC2202.
- Download this file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0cnlTMGx1OUczOVE/view?usp=sharing
- Copy the file (called TestScript.cs) into your scripts folder and when you run the game, a message should appear at the bottom of the screen, to tell you that your scripts are running. That's all it does, its only purpose is to confirm things are installed correctly. If it does, you can then delete that script and move on to proper mods.
That's it for now. If you have questions, please post them in the comments. Thanks for reading.
Tutorial written by @V4D3R
Many thanks to:
and all of you for reading this and upvoting.
@Frazzlee I know that, but wouldn't that be supporting piracy? (changing audioNameHash)
@GTATerminal Sorry to bother you but is telling to "change the audioNameHash in vehicles.meta" means supporting pirated content? What do you think?
@Akila_Reigns What does that file have to do with a pirated copy of Grand Theft Auto V?
@Frazzlee I was typing that when you posted your answer.😁😁😁 @GTATerminal for an example, the newly released Bugatti Chiron mod uses the T20's sound. So, the pirated game owners' car will not have engine sounds. There is a workaround, but my question is when a pirated user asks how to do it, should we tell him or not?
@Frazzlee it's still a small percentage I think.
@DarthPungz No prob.
I edited the vehiclemodelsets file and now have lots of cool planes landing and flying about! Thank you again!
I did see that some of the planes fly poorly and crash... The C-5 Galaxy and C-17 Globemaster. The planes that I added to Fort Zancudo sometimes spawn as departure flights already in the air and head over the horizon.
Is there a way to adjust flight paths and make routes?
@DarthPungz I don't know, but I think we cannot, at least for now.
Installing Scripts section added.
Improved the tutorial.
Have fun with GTA V Modding!
This post is deleted!
@chiller72 It should look like mods\update\update.rpf.
After that, you should mod the update.rpf in the mods folder only.
Do not edit the original.
Yes, you can copy and paste the update folder in to the mods folder.
Just placing a folder and renaming it to "mods" is not enough. You need to place the RPF files you modded inside the mods folder. Here are few examples.
totally confused by this part " RPF files you modded" but I haven't modded any RDF files so how can i do that ?
"Copy dsound.dll In order to load ASI plugins."
where is this file and where do i put it
, I feel like there is info missing here
it just says copy a file huh ?
@Marius999 Sorry about the outdated info, fixed it.
For an example, when you place a vehicle add-on mod, you need to edit the dlclist.xml.
After editing it, you need to replace the original dlclist. After doing that, the update.rpf becomes a "modded" file. You need to put those in the mods folder.
awesome , ty !
@Akila_Reigns Lol, I never saw this tutorial before, maybe I'm a bit blind Good job, that's great for newbies and other people with problems installing mods
after adding 3 addon car game stop working (game version 1.0.877), the older version (1.0.791, this was not
@Dark_Knight Do you have the latest version of F7YO's gameconfig?
It's what I usually tell others to use.
By far it's the most stable one in this site.
@Akila_Reigns ERR_FILE_PACK_1 this error when i start gta 5 with this gameconfig.
When i start vanil gameconfig and dlclist and extartcion meta the game work normal
@Dark_Knight What option did you use? There are several options to choose.
@Akila_Reigns 1x traffic 1x peds
@Dark_Knight hmm, weird, I've never had that issue.
@Dark_Knight Try Game68240's gameconfig as well.