[Tutorial] Grand Theft Auto V Modding - A Few Things You Should Know

• @Akila_Reigns this is so hard got open iv done dont know hot to make new folder for mods . is their a video on how to do this

@Frazzlee That's good, I never did a comparision test :man: :(.

• @conjames23 It's quite easy once you get the hang of it, well I haven't created a video about this, you can search a bit.

• ok , just to get that clear..if im using a script mod do i need to place a folder like mods/scripts/xxxx AND the normal scripts folder, or do i just create a scripts folder in game root directory and thats it?

• @ThrillKill_1990 Scripts folder shouldn't go into the mods folder. So it has to be Grand Theft Auto V\scripts.
    And you will need Script Hook V and .NET. Place the script inside the script folder. And that's it. :)

• @Akila_Reigns thx 4 the reply :)
    im not a native speaker so sry if i ask smth obvious.. so do i just copy and paste things ive downloaded into mods folder or do i have to to copy the hole path i want to replace?

f. example : i want to install some clothes and tattoos .. so the files for trevor are going into (fictional example)
    GTA 5/ update / x64 /update/ player_two

so do i have to create a replica of empty folders of the whole path or can i just copy the update folder from GTA 5/update/x64
    into GTA 5/mods/update and merge it automatically?

sry if it sounds unclear dont know how to better say it, hope u get what i mean.
    thanks for your time :)

• @ThrillKill_1990 It's probably easier to understand with an actual example, so consider this mod https://www.gta5-mods.com/player/trevor-alternative-tattoo

According to the description, the files need to go in x64v.rpf\models\cdimages\ped_sp_overlay_txds.rpf\

So you would take the x64v.rpf file from the main GTAV folder and copy that into your mods folder. You would then go into OpenIV and go to the path mods\x64v.rpf\models\cdimages\ped_sp_overlay_txds.rpf\ and you would add the files from that mod into there.

• @LeeC2202 Thanks for the answer, couldn't have said better. :)

• Added a few screenshots.

• This tutorial is ridiculously overcomplicated and poorly worded. I spent over an hour trying to navigate this mess, gave up, did a clean install and was able to get my mods working with a YouTube video in about 10 minutes.

• @Sumdud Thanks for the negative feedback, appreciate it. :thumbsup_tone1:

• hello :)

first, thanks for this tutorial. It helped me a lot and I fully understood it (and english is not my first language^^)

But I have a question:

I want to be 100% on the safe side with my account. I've played gta (online) very long without mods (in SP). Now I want to try some mods.

So is it possible, that I can buy and install a full second copy of gta V with a new steam account on the same pc, and separate it from my first account/copy, to use mods? That I can eliminate the risk, that my first acc gets banned.

Maybe this is a silly question but I want to be very safe^^

• @KCmichi English is not my first language either. :smiley:
    And about your question, I think yes, but I'm not 100% sure. You can create a copy of your game inside the same directory and rename them like I said in the tutorial, but having two copies will work too. I know some guys have both retail and steam copies.

@Kwebbl You have more than one copy, right? Can you please explain how it works?

• @V4D3R @KCmichi Yep, 2x a copy of retail. I'll explain it when I get home. You need to change the gamepath in regedit. Or @LeeC2202 knows it too, I think.

• @Kwebbl I'm sure he's really busy. :no_mouth: I'll wait for your explanation. Thank you very much.

• It's not so urgently :D

Thank You very much :)

• @KCmichi Do you have a Steam version? I only know how to do that without the Steam version. But it works with Retail and Steam so you don't need to buy a new Account.

• @KCmichi I have an install set up to work like this in my test install.

Basically you take a copy of the full game folder, which means you have two complete copies. The registry can only point to one version at a time, so the trick is to change which version is the active copy so to speak.

So your clean version would be called something like Grand Theft Auto V - Online and your modded version would be called Grand Theft Auto V - Mods. When you want to play online, you change the Grand Theft Auto V - Online version, to just Grand Theft Auto V and the registry will be pointing at that version.

When you want to use mods, you rename Grand Theft Auto V back to Grand Theft Auto V - Online and then rename Grand Theft Auto V - Mods to Grand Theft Auto V and the registry will use that one.

The danger is of course, that you forget which version is the current active version and go online with the wrong version and get banned. If I get chance, I will create a couple of batch files that handle the renaming, which will make things easier as you will just need two shortcuts.

• I should just add to this, both versions must be in the same location for this to work. You can't have one version on your C drive and another version on your D drive. If you wanted two versions in different locations, you would have to resort to registry edits instead.

This is basically what your Rockstar Games Folder would look like with this setup.

0_1486473499259_multi-gtav.png

To get this working, you need to make sure that you have the two folders created and named with one version as the active version.

Then you need to create two text files, one called Play GTAV - Mods.bat and one called Play GTAV - Online.bat. In those files add the following text.

Play GTAV - Mods.bat

IF EXIST "Grand Theft Auto V - Online" GOTO end
    REN "Grand Theft Auto V" "Grand Theft Auto V - Online"
    REN "Grand Theft Auto V - Mods" "Grand Theft Auto V"
    ECHO Playing with Mods

:end
    cd "Grand Theft Auto V"
    GTAVLauncher.exe
    exit

Play GTAV - Online.bat

IF EXIST "Grand Theft Auto V - Mods" GOTO end
    REN "Grand Theft Auto V" "Grand Theft Auto V - Mods"
    REN "Grand Theft Auto V - Online" "Grand Theft Auto V"
    ECHO Playing Online

:end
    cd "Grand Theft Auto V"
    GTAVLauncher.exe
    exit

Create the two shortcuts to those .bat files (right-click and drag a .bat file and choose Create shortcuts here) and place them anywhere you like, on your desktop etc... Just make sure you can tell them apart somehow.

• @Kwebbl I have a steam version, and wanted to buy a new copy for the modded version (can be a retail version too)
    I also wanted to seperate the two if thats possible (because I have 2 ssds)

• @KCmichi Do exactly what LeeC2202 said. :slight_smile:

• @LeeC2202 @V4D3R ok thank you :)

• @KCmichi Just be sure to take note of what I said about the locations... you can't have them on different drives using that method.

If you wanted to do that, you will need to start exporting registry keys, modifying them and then every time you wanted to play a different version, you would have to put new registry values back again. That's a messy and risky way to do it.

• @LeeC2202 ok thank you :)
    Seems like, this is the safest way 😊

• ok i try to load gta5 online it just doesn't load after i extract the files. or i load for like 1 min maybe and it says network error. what am i doing wrong?

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.