[Tutorial] Grand Theft Auto V Modding - A Few Things You Should Know

• Fixed some minor issues. Added some missing information.

• Can anyone tell me the best place to get mods for GTA 5 online on Xbox One????! I've been searching for some time now and I could really use some Info....

• @Inrage369 Don't hijack my thread. And you're trying to discuss two prohibited topics.

1. Online modding.
    2. Console modding.

Both are NOT supported here, in this forum.
    P.S. I didn't downvote.

And Don't lock this topic, out of habit please. :slight_smile:

• Edited the tutorial a bit. :)

• @Frazzlee Yeah, you and another one I know. :)

@Akila_Reigns Now looks much better ^^, you know ;)

• @Reyser Yeah, thanks for the
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ :)

Edit: Added a link to your thread as well. :slight_smile:

• 10K views.. I feel like I've done something for the community :)

• @Frazzlee Thanks! :slight_smile:

• Just thought I'd bring this to attention again:
    @rappo said in Easy-to-access thread for complete modding beginners:

If anybody wants to write up something like this in the Tutorials section, I will gladly pin it :slight_smile: Thanks for the suggestion!

Further plans include providing links on mod pages to tutorials on the forums for installation help if the mod is covered by a tutorial here.

• @kaddigart What about it?

• @Akila_Reigns Your tutorial fits the description - thought that it may be helpful to those new to modding if it were pinned.

• @kaddigart I don't like the idea of pinning my thread, every tutorial on this forum is important.

• Absolutely. This one is just a good starting point for the many people that ask the basic question of "how do I mod my GTA 5?" It was a suggestion for ease of reference, not status.

• Friends, what's the max amount of add-ons you have listed in your dlclist.xml? Last update I had about 104 add-on entries, excluding the official DLC. Now I can't even have half of that!

I tried every updated gameconfig on this site, even the one from RDE, the Batman vehicle pack, etc.. F7YO's gameconfig used to work wonders for me but now even that doesn't solve it. R* really messed it up lol

I assume the only way to keep all my addons is to merge them into a single or fewer DLC folders? For now I just have addonpeds but I'd really like to have all the addon vehicles back :frowning2:

• @stillhere I use F7YO's as well, and I had to remove around 60% of add-on mods after import/export update. I currently have around 40, including all DLC and patchday updates.

• @Akila_Reigns Thanks for the reply!
    About 40 including official DLC/patchday? There is exactly 41 official DLC folders, at least from what I see in my dlclist. Your estimate is so close to that number; really shows how little space we have to work with now. D:

• @stillhere Oh my bad, I didn't count them, let me see how many I have exactly. And I forgot the DLCs in x64w.rpf. :)

• @stillhere I have 61. I removed most of them because some made the game crash, and mostly because I don't use many of them. I used to have more than 150. :(

• @Akila_Reigns It's okay, I assumed you were estimating based on your wording! So about 20 modded add-ons... I guess I will have to choose what I want to keep :open_mouth: I'll keep my backup just in case the next update gives us more room, by some miracle lol. Thanks!

@stillhere I have more than 350 using F7YO gameconfig. Do you use Benny's Motorworks mod?

• @Frazzlee 452 separate folders per add-on? or combined? That's crazy lol

@Reyser I do not. How would that affect this issue, if I may ask?

@stillhere I had the same problem as you in December and was solved removing this mod. From 30 Add-On cars working to 337 after deleting it.

Maybe your problem's another script mod that's outdated, or if you have more than 80 DLC folders in dlcpacks, then you should put all your Add-Ons as packs. I mean, do a DLC folder called "ADDONS" or whatever you want as name and keep adding your Add-On vehicles and their DATA into it until the dlc.rpf file size were around 3,5GB.

After this, if you have more Add-On cars to put, create a new DLC folder and repeat the process with the rest.

None of the DLC folders should exceed the 4.0GB limit, otherwise your game will crash.

@Frazzlee 452 Folders??? That's so crazy and very bad for your game to load. Your game open, read and close every folder each time you start it, so your losing (don't know how much) performance.

• @Reyser Aw man, I just tried with all mods removed except for OpenIV.asi and of course scripthookV, still get the FIL_ERROR crash :( I will combine my add-ons eventually.. someday lol. Thank you for the help!

@stillhere Did you removed the lines added for all your Add-Ons in dlclist.xml file and it's still giving the error?

If yes, maybe you deleted any game file and as you can verify the mods folder cache, it crashes.

If no, remove all non original DLC lines and keep adding and trying them 1 by 1 until the game crashes. If removing the last line you added before the crash and adding any other the game don't crash, you'll know which DLC folder causes the error.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.