Reputation vanished?

• I just noticed that the most of my reputation vanished. I was on my forum profile and refreshed the page. After that refresh my reputation went down from something about 30 - 35 to 9? Is it some kind of side problem or what happened?

@Oskar nah... some people on this site are childish and will dislike any comment you make. Probably has to do with the argument on the Nathan James' thread. Don't pay attention to it.

@rappo I'm not sure if it is possible, but could you give a thread's author to block/delete off topic comments? It really clutters up a thread. (In all fairness, I'm guilty of that as well). And while I'm here, perhaps a "thread gallery" or something, like on the side of the page, where the author can post all the media related to said mod in one place, instead of on the main page - or throughout the thread as some are extremely long.

• @nathanjamesddg151 I was thinking about that it has something to do with the James thread but I didn't know that dislikes makes reputation go away. lol.
    I think that the systems needs to be reworked so that you can't abuse it.

@Oskar agreed. But how? And likes = more reputation. Dislikes = less reputation. (1 like = 1 rep point, and vice versa).

• @nathanjamesddg151 I really don't know how but I know exactly who gave us that many dislikes for no reason. That's so childish just beacause we say that we indeed did stay on topic.

@Oskar here's a rep point, just for you... : D And if you think you know who is doing it, report it or something. Frankly, only a loser would do something like that. It's unprofessional and stupid.

• @Oskar Probably just trolls, there are plenty of them in the main site. It would be nice to see who dislikes our posts in the forum.

@Oskar lol. abuse can go two ways. :laughing: Yeah... the system needs to be reworked. @Akila_Reigns but it would also somewhat defeat the purpose. That would have be left to the admins. They'd have to review what constitutes trolling and then decide on what to do. That, would be a lot of work.

• @nathanjamesddg151 Totally agree with you, it's totally hard to catch them. but at least @Oskar is back, with 32 rep points...

@Akila_Reigns Yeah... perhaps a counter that says how many times you've voted, not being specific to upvotes/downvotes. That way, if somebody is trolling, it would be easier to narrow it down. Somebody really has it out for @Oskar, basically downvoting every one of his posts. ( @rappo?)

• @nathanjamesddg151 Good idea.

@Akila_Reigns Another idea would be to add a cooldown period between votes to somewhat irritate spammers. Like on the main mods page you have to wait 3 minutes between posts. Maybe 30 seconds or something like that. ( @rappo?)

• @nathanjamesddg151
    We can see who upvoted though.

@Akila_Reigns yeah, but that's somewhat different. No one is going to downvote your posts because you upvoted theirs. My guess for not allowing users to see downvotes is so that the person who got downvoted won't go downvote that person's totally unrelated post, or posts. (ie payback, which is why @Oskar upvoted a lot of posts, sort of (Probably to make things the way they were before))

I get repetitive downvoting posts if the posts had nothing to do with the current thread (Like the Nathan James thread), but going out of ones way to find posts that are unrelated to the current thread and intentionally downvoting them (like @Oskar's German Armed Forces mod) is another story entirely.

That being said, it also allows users to hide behind a certain level of anonymity because no one can see who downvoted the post which allows for spamming.

• @nathanjamesddg151 said in Reputation vanished?:

My guess for not allowing users to see downvotes is so that the person who got downvoted won't go downvote that person's totally unrelated post, or posts.

I agree with you. If someone get continuously downvoted, for example, by a troll, adding a "voting counter" like you said might help that person and the admin to identify them. I personally think there should be more time period between posts, at least 1 minute, but it's kinda unfair for regular users. Sometimes they're easy to recognize, like this guy. alt text
    (I had to blur it because I would be supporting them if I posted it unedited) For others, your idea might work.

• @nathanjamesddg151 You may know this, but for people who don't know what to do when it comes to dealing with trolls, here are the easiest things I think anyone should do when dealing with those people:

1. Ignore the troll. Refuse to interact with him, but respond to others, and shun the troll and give no reply to any of his accusations and remarks.

2. Post "don't feed the trolls" in the thread and leave the conversation. Let others deal with him if they want. Just identify the troublemaker as a troll and move on to other things. and report him.

3. Give him a taste of his own medicine, by relentlessly restating your opinion, in complete oblivion to anything the troll says, like you're not even reading his remarks.

4. Misinterpret his statements. This is a very effective technique for derailing a troll and making them upset. Make it seem like the troll is agreeing with you. Like "I agree. Thanks for seeing my viewpoint, "We seem to be on the same page now." etc.

Doing these will make a troll lose his interest, and eventually he will leave.

@Akila_Reigns yeah, agreed, except what do you do about trolls who spam the reputation system? You don't want to spam the wrong person...

• @nathanjamesddg151 I just posted that to help other people to identify a troll, sorry I tagged you in it. My mistake.

@Akila_Reigns Yeah... it's all cool. Didn't think you meant me as that really didn't apply the current situation, mostly. But good advice nonetheless.

• @nathanjamesddg151 Thanks man.

@Akila_Reigns No problem.

• Honestly these kinds of changes to the forums functionality will probably not happen. I'm using forums software here and it's a hassle for me to go in and change little things like this because I didn't develop it from scratch and I don't know how everything works. You can make feature requests to the developers of the forums software here: https://community.nodebb.org/category/5/feature-requests

@Oskar as for why your reputation may have significantly dropped - if it wasn't from downvoters, it could have also been from a deleted topic. If you posted on someone's topic and got reputation points from it, then they went and deleted it and a staff member purged it from the site, your reputation points would go with it.

@Oskar same idiot keeps on downvoting posts for no reason. @rappo if you know who it is, could you PM the guy and tell him to knock it off? It's really childish.

• @nathanjamesddg151 If you link me to an example post then yes, I can see who the downvoters are

@rappo The last two posts made by me on this thread: https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/128/vehicle-wip-uss-nathan-james-ddg-151-us-navy-destroyer/624?_=1472837511551&page=25

You will see that it has [net] zero votes because someone also upvoted the post. Full disclosure: I have downvoted several posts on that page because they were off topic (I know, I am also guilty of that earlier in the thread), and I get the off-topic downvotes, however, the posts in question were on topic and also not really meant for anyone not working on the project, so there would be no reason for said downvotes unless they were made by someone working on the project. This is also happening to @Oskar as well on his German Armed Forces mod. https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/473/collection-wip-bundeswehr-german-armed-forces-mod

It appears that someone is doing this for no apparent reason other than being a - well - I'll let you choose an adjective. Thanks.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.