Browser hijacks and pop-ups on mobile.

• In the past three weeks I've noticed a dangerous trend while browsing GTA5M on a mobile browser (Chrome for Android specifically.)

It started out as simple fully new-tab pop-up that while highly aggravating and annoying were benign in their capabilities. But over the course of three weeks I've had full page redirects occur, sending me to fake AV pages (ones stylized like Google's 404 page seem to be common but not the only ones), Android system pop-ups declaring massive infection, and on one occasion a page cranked my system's volume to maximum and began ranting "Warning, warning, malware detected," etc.

Just before typing this, a tab I had open had sent me to a fake AV page, and then while typing this very post, another gta5m tab redirected (and brought itself front and center in chrome) to a blank page with a system message declaring I needed to update flash, before attempting to open the Play Store App.

This is unacceptable. I understand the need for advertisement revenue, I really do, but the site's apparent disregard for what ads it hosts opens up its users to attack from what are quite obviously malicious entities. The fact that the ads have in quick fashion escalated from browser pop ups to full redirects, hijacking, and attempted Play Store access means that they are one step away from drive-by downloads - at which point GTA5M will be complicit in infecting its users with malware. And if this starts occurring on desktop pages or ads begin intercepting the mod download links? I can't even begin to lay out the issues that will cause.

This needs to be fixed immediately. I have a screenshot of the flash redirect page but I'm not sure how to upload it from mobile, if some one could advise I'd appreciate it.

• I can say that this is also happening on Chrome for Windows - GTA5mods pages are redirecting to shady Indian tech support and Russian fake chrome extension pages and bring my browser to a standstill since I can't close or switch from the offending tabs. I really want to support this site, but until the threat of having my credentials stolen by some shady individual in an Indian Tech Support Scam call centre is gone, I'll be keeping my adblocker on, thank you very much.

• IGNORE THIS, DARK0NE CORRECTED MY STATEMENT ON THE ADS.
    @Dark0ne said in Browser hijacks and pop-ups on mobile.:

the ads thing only started happening when @rappo dropped the ball as admin and let Dark0ne, our new admin, be... well... the new admin.

https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/10747/ads/2
    https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/11270/pop-up-add-60-of-screen

Just two threads I found about bad ads on 5Mods before Rappo left, from a very quick search of the forums. So that's not true.

Unfortunately, bad ads getting through from time to time is a bad reality of internet advertising, and I freaking HATE that fact. It completely justifies adblockers because of it.

If you're interested in the topic, including how online advertising works and how bad ads can occur, I wrote a relatively in-depth article about it on Nexus Mods a year ago that is relevant to 5Mods as well. You can find that here.

@Kiryu This has been my most common statement, but...

the ads thing only started happening when @rappo dropped the ball as admin and let Dark0ne, our new admin, be... well... the new admin.

And since, several changes have been made. For example, file uploads are now automatic (yay, 10k times faster spamming of same shitty and overrated mods!)

And now, stolen mods don't even get removed (well, not remotely true, but there's often a few I see that are stolen and I'm shocked nobody's reported them, yet. Another issue with automatic mod uploads.)

And now, the ads. Oh fuck me, the ads. I keep getting PS4 ads that have their volume at 1000+, and they automatically play their shitty commerical for their fucking shitty console. IDC about ads being existent but if they're a bundle of shit like Sony's ads, then spare me.

I don't often receive many ads on Mobile, probably because I don't like Google watching what I do on my IPad, or what data is on my IPad. At this point, it's literally physical malware sitting on my desk. Why I stood with Safari.

I'm not trying to put down the admin, but his moves have been questionable, the ads more than anything, and @axslayer33's complaint even more.

(again, Dark0ne clarified me on the ads, see bottom post)

• ADMIN

Definitely not intended, I'll get on to the ad agency straight away. Thanks for reporting it and sorry for the hassle.

Just two threads I found about bad ads on 5Mods before Rappo left, from a very quick search of the forums. So that's not true.

Unfortunately, bad ads getting through from time to time is a bad reality of internet advertising, and I freaking HATE that fact. It completely justifies adblockers because of it.

If you're interested in the topic, including how online advertising works and how bad ads can occur, I wrote a relatively in-depth article about it on Nexus Mods a year ago that is relevant to 5Mods as well. You can find that here.

• @Dark0ne said in Browser hijacks and pop-ups on mobile.:

Definitely not intended, I'll get on to the ad agency straight away. Thanks for reporting it and sorry for the hassle.

My bad, I remember that first thread, I actually didn't have ads annoying me, then, so I never understood everybody else's issue.

Let me edit my above post for a minute...

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.