ymap question

• So I have made a map using menyoo and saved and as a .xml (cars.xml) and then I used this tool : https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/mapeditor-2-ymap-converter

I converted it to a .ymap then put it inside my dlc.rpf but when I load the game the ymap isnt loaded... am I doing something wrong.... or what??? I need help any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

• @skylumz Provide a better description, maybe?

• @skylumz said in ymap question:

So I have made a map using menyoo and saved and as a .xml (cars.xml) and then I used this tool : https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/mapeditor-2-ymap-converter

I converted it to a .ymap then put it inside my dlc.rpf but when I load the game the ymap isnt loaded... am I doing something wrong.... or what??? I need help any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

If you set things up properly, your ymap should now reside inside:

Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\CustomMaps\dlc.rpf\x64\levels\gta5\_citye\maps\custom_maps.rpf

If it's anywhere else, you did it wrong.

But, erm, ymap doesn't do cars (at least not the way you may think). There's a section called:

<carGenerators>

You can't spawn your tuned addon cars with it, though. It's meant to work in conjunction with popgroups, to spawn certain types of cars with (very) limited variety within a certain vicinity. So far I've only discovered like 4 color tune parts. Nowhere near enough for a fully tuned car. Sorry, but ymap was simply never meant for that purpose.

• @krashadam said in ymap question:

@skylumz Provide a better description, maybe?

Alright so I used map editor to add cars to this add-on : https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/grand-theft-auto-v-liberty-city-gta-iv

I added cars to many places around the city and it was a .xml file named cars.xml I then used the tool mentioned above - https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/mapeditor-2-ymap-converter

I then got a .ymap named cars.ymap converted from the cars.xml.

I then used OpenIV and placed the cars.ymap inside = Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\libertycity\dlc.rpf\x64\levels\gta5\liberty\liberty_metadata.rpf\

Now when I load the game the .ymap isn't loaded? Why? How could I make this work. Is there an easier way. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated thank you!

@meimeiriver said in ymap question:

@skylumz said in ymap question:

So I have made a map using menyoo and saved and as a .xml (cars.xml) and then I used this tool : https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/mapeditor-2-ymap-converter

I converted it to a .ymap then put it inside my dlc.rpf but when I load the game the ymap isnt loaded... am I doing something wrong.... or what??? I need help any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you. @krashadam

If you set things up properly, your ymap should now reside inside:

Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\CustomMaps\dlc.rpf\x64\levels\gta5\_citye\maps\custom_maps.rpf

If it's anywhere else, you did it wrong.

But, erm, ymap doesn't do cars (at least not the way you may think). There's a section called:

<carGenerators>

You can't spawn your tuned addon cars with it, though. It's meant to work in conjunction with popgroups, to spawn certain types of cars with (very) limited variety within a certain vicinity. So far I've only discovered like 4 color tune parts. Nowhere near enough for a fully tuned car. Sorry, but ymap was simply never meant for that purpose.

I have made .ymaps using <carGenerators> but they still don't seem to spawn? Anything I'm missing I could give you more details on how I made them etc. Thank you! @meimeiriver

• @skylumz its car generators so its random and mapeditor2ymap tends to just make the car generators generate random cars you need to change the model name back

• @Derpy-Canadian said in ymap question:

@skylumz its car generators so its random and mapeditor2ymap tends to just make the car generators generate random cars you need to change the model name back

It's not the model name that's the problem, really, but that ME2YM leaves popgroups undefined (at least with the cars I tried it with). At any rate, other than generating a certain type of cars within a certain area, I still maintain ymap is not very well suited for spawning your 'choice' car lot: Menyoo is ten times better equipped to do that.

• @meimeiriver well yeah popgroups are not necessary unless you want it to generate a random car from a certain group e.g army generates any army car. also ymap is fitted to spawn your choice of car, just do not place cars with map editor or whatever and convert use codewalker to make a car gen and a ymap put your model name in there and that is literally it it will have a chance of spawning. you also should use codewalker tbh for making the map itself it is so much better even if you are just making it out of props because you have full control over placements, rotations etc and its just easy because you are able to drag the rotation sphere and use the arrows to drag it which is so much easier than Map Editor. Also I will make a tutorial on the car gens today to help you I will link it to you in over an hour from the time I am posting this

• @Derpy-Canadian said in ymap question:

@meimeiriver well yeah popgroups are not necessary unless you want it to generate a random car from a certain group e.g army generates any army car. also ymap is fitted to spawn your choice of car, just do not place cars with map editor or whatever and convert use codewalker to make a car gen and a ymap put your model name in there and that is literally it it will have a chance of spawning. you also should use codewalker tbh for making the map itself it is so much better even if you are just making it out of props because you have full control over placements, rotations etc and its just easy because you are able to drag the rotation sphere and use the arrows to drag it which is so much easier than Map Editor. Also I will make a tutorial on the car gens today to help you I will link it to you in over an hour from the time I am posting this

In all honesty, I hadn't given cargenerators in ymap much time, as I assumed it was really just meant for spawning certain cars in certain areas.

Yeah, Map Editor is the worst for building. I've been using Menyoo, though, for fine-grained control. Only recently I looked into building with CodeWalker too; and yes, I can drag objects, and rotate them by arrow (like you can do in Second Life, for instance), but I miss the tenth-of-a-milimeter control Menyoo offers with the Up-Down-Right-Left keys: for precise alignment, just dragging is often simply too imprecise.

Also, LOL, I still haven't figured out how to save a ymap I made changes in, using CodeWalker.

Tl;dr: a tutorial on cargens in CodeWalker, and its editor use in general, would be welcome! It's already an invaluable tool for finding parent milo's and such, and identifying objects in general. As an editor it would be even more awesome! :) (if for nothing else, because you don't run the risk of crashing mid-game).

• @meimeiriver the creator of codewalker, dexyfex has a lot of tutorials on his youtube they are really helpful also for getting precise movements in codewalker when you have to project window open click on the entity you are editing and there will be coordinates that you can adjust and get it to be exactly how you want and to save there is just a button in a dropdown menu on the project window

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.