Codewalker and Map Editor

• I am sure you all know what I am going to say here judging by the title of this. Codewalker is a terrible program and people should use Map Editor instead Codewalker is so much better than Map Editor and people need to get their heads unstuck from Map Editor and make mods with quality and that have potential to actually feel natural and have schedules in place on them, or have traffic drive around them, or have new traffic, or car generators instead of cars that are always there. I am sure almost 100% of you reading this are going to be like "what why? Map Editor is the best there is nothing better than it, what are you talking about" and to those of you who's heads are that deep into Map Editor, I am saying one thing. Map Editor maps never change. It is constantly just the same thing over and over in different locations, not to say all map editor maps are bad, sure the rare .1% are good but the rest usually make no sense or are just useless. As for Codewalker maps which really do not exist as of now other than my barge mod (I have seen no other one.) you can do so many things, to the point that it ACTUALLY feels like it is meant to be in the game. Set Schedules for when people (or vehicles, and yes even moving vehicles ) spawn and when they don't spawn, make car gens so you could have either A. Random cars spawning in your spot from a certain group of cars, or B. The same car spawning over and over if necessary but still not ALWAYS spawning. You can also adjust the traffic paths so for maps that add road construction you could adjust it so peds do not go right through it, or altogether remove a route if the entire street is to be blocked off. Then here you go again you are probably saying "but Derpy, there are so many different file formats you would have to use to get one simple mod with all of these features". But my response to that is simple, why lack quality just to save at most 30 seconds of installation time.

In the end, all I am saying is we NEED to have more people that make their content in Codewalker and not Map Editor. And no I am not really saying Map Editor is bad. I am really just saying that mapping needs to evolve because to start, Map Editor is outdated, and has less features as I just discussed.

Make the maps section great again! (sorry I just had to)

Also here are some examples of the editing things you can do in CW, and yes these paths shown in the image actually work and overwrite the standard ones. Blue paths being the standard ones, red being the new.

alt text
    alt text

• @Derpy-Canadian This was a very well made statement. I actually have Codewalker installed on my PC and I'm trying to learn how I can use it so I can add traffic to my favorite maps.

Sadly Menyoo doesn't read my props correctly and Object Spawn Unlocker is pretty much obsolete. I'll DM you 'bout this later.

I think a Codewalker tutorial should actually be considered and made. I think we should also be more creative with what maps we make with Menyoo/Map Editor. We make too many boring ass scenes and I think to have like REAL TOWNS/CITIES for once like The Great Island by @T3mas1 would just be dandy and make Codewalker more worth the time to use.

Edit: you got a downvote, I fixed it for ya.

• @krashadam yeah. Shaez has never agreed with my opinions on Map Editor :P imo he just needs to get over it and move on :shrug:

• @Derpy-Canadian again a useless topic to push your hate on map editor/menyoo and saying only you do well etc etc we know you already said it enough i think.

There is newbie in modding that can start with map editor/menyoo wich is easyer to use than codewalker, more again now that we can turn xml to ymap

then they can still add scenario/path etc with codewalker once they're a bit more experienced.

It can also be a matter of free time, codewalker is good i'll not deny it, that the tool i waited since long time ago,
    but some people don't have time to learn that much ( mostly newbie), nor doing deep worked mod these it mean they shouldn't mod ?
    If so you should remove your map that have low level of detail ?

An other point is that there is multiple way to do map mod depending what you wanna do, your skill etc etc, just let people choose the way they want and stop trying to impose your way with such useless topic not comment on 5mods

INstead of complaining you could have been usefull and do some tuto to help newbie to learn mapping or just give them link to codewalker tuto but you just say them they do bad and never help them so don't cry after them...

I remember the first time i saw one of your comment,
    it was like " i'm da best modder "( not mapper you litteraly said modder yep yep) and well i just thought it was related to your age but doesn't seems to change ( or at least not in good ) with time.

Just let people do as they want, or help them , renseign them etc ( it look like you don't want other map than model one to reduce the concurence by jalousy lel ?) instead of doing harasment with this kind of topic nor your comment on 5mods ( some are correct i'll not deny it and sometime a bit usefull, but some other literraly releve from harasment due to your hate of map Editor/menyoo )

don't take it bad, but you're good to critic them but not really for helping them so that a bit boring to see this kind of comment at the end.

And keep in mind MapEditor/menyoo are a good place to start for newbie ( soon it will be better Dek,Omega, i and few other are building props to help them, so if you wanna help us you're welcome even if i know you'll probably not xD ) , then if people have time or begin to be a bit more experienced they can start doing thing deeper but i don't think such aggressive behaviour will motivate them as much than you think... or may you just want demotivate them ?

That like if i said your map mod are not that good cause you don't take time to blend terrain or add detail for exemple, that not cool so i don't do it, it's called being mature and tolerant ..

• @westcoastsosa @krissboo @Biggdogg @messi3194 Thiss Is What I Been Talking Aboutt I Wanna Make A Busy Partial NYC Map(LC) TRAFF PEDS TRASH ETC

• @Shaezbreizh I have a tutorial fool and I am still making more

• @Derpy-Canadian you don't share them that much with people that you critic map mod ( I never seen you give any link but i'm not omnipotent or checking all your message so may i miss it but 90 % of message i saw was not that helpful)

and pls stay correct in your word ;)

• @Shaezbreizh said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

@Derpy-Canadian again a useless topic to push your hate on map editor/menyoo and saying only you do well etc etc we know you already said it enough i think.

Where exactly is the hate in his post? He was just saying to try something new. I don't see any hate in his post whatsoever.

And keep in mind MapEditor/menyoo are a good place to start for newbie ( soon it will be better ;)

It's had all the time to "be better", and it's not gotten better from the look of it.

then if people have time they can start doing thing deeper but i don't think such aggressive behaviour will motivate them as much than you think... or may you just want demotivate them ?

He wasn't being aggressive, nor was he trying to "demotivate" them as you say.

The reputation that basic map editing has right now is content like this:

https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/gta5-house-party

https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/plane-crash-4-on-seabed (funny, there already exist pre-crashed planes if you look in the right spots underwater)

Because we just don't have enough zombie maps: https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/zombie-map-v-1-0-menyo

https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/police-checkpoint-at-highway

https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/police-code-five-stop

Because Franklin is so inclined to have his own fucking airport: https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/green-runway-house-franklin

Franklin's "new house", built on top of the same house that he already lives in, therfore completely removing the fact it's new: https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/franklin-party-house-bos_ist

And so fourth. I'm not saying that these maps are bad but this is literally all people do with the ability to map edit. If @Derpy-Canadian was intending to demotivate them, he doesn't (and wouldn't) have to - the map modding community is already demotivated - demotivated of originality and variety.

He wasn't hating on the people who make map mods, nor was he hating on the person/people who made Map Editor. I'm not sure how you managed to extrapolate that that was what he was doing, but so far, he wasn't.

• @krashadam i'm not talking about only this post but the multiple post or comment he already did in the past and what impression it leave at the end ;) ( and there is a lot between comment and topic )
    May harasment isn't the correct term idk english that well, but that kinda not helpfull most of time ( not always as i said sometime he is helpful )

and yeah we're few doing prop to help newbie to do map mod without they waste their time learning moddeling so they'll have time to learn how to use CW, but we do it on our free time so just be patient pls it take a lot of time to do these props
    then people will be able to build island/ little town or whatever

• @Shaezbreizh this is my first forum post about this topic.

• @Derpy-Canadian you can get the opinion you want that a right all human have and that i respect, what i don't really agree with his the way you critic that many people while you never link them to helpful tuto and mostly just leave them a kind of " it's bad, do it with codewalker "
    ( as i said not always fortunately )
    @krashadam for menyoo, you need to reload the objectlist once you added your prop else menyoo will not detect them ;)

• IMY

• @Shaezbreizh said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

@krashadam for menyoo, you need to reload the objectlist once you added your prop else menyoo will not detect them

I did that 3 times and it still didn't read the objectlist.

• @krashadam well not really going to talk of this here since it's off topic but pm if you need help ( i guess it's a ytyp error maybe ? well just pm we will see that ;P)

• @Derpy-Canadian said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

I couldn't agree more, with everything you said! CodeWalker is exceedingly superior to Map Editor (even Menyoo is). I made a topic, a long time ago already, called something like 'Please, discontinue your use of Map Editor' (aimed at map makers).

Seems I'm still using only a fraction of what CodeWalker can do.

You can also adjust the traffic paths so for maps that add road construction you could adjust it so peds do not go right through it, or altogether remove a route if the entire street is to be blocked off

I still need to look into that! I have a fancy home, at Cassidy Creek, and I hate peds trying to walk in/bump into wallls, etc, because of existing paths.

You can't spawn objects with CodeWalker, though, right? (That would make it complete). And I wish it had a 'search' option, to find objects in a loaded ymap (you can't always select an inworld object with your mouse, but selecting it from inside the ymap file makes everything selectable).

And CodeWalker is superior, for this reason alone already, because it can scale objects! And re-position them in their scaled state (objects needs to have 8192 added to their ymap flags, btw, to make them scaleable in-game: everything is scaleable that way, far as I know, except for ASSET_TYPE_FRAGMENT objects).

Tl;dr: I am very glad you posted this! If I could give you 10 Upvotes, I would.

@Southsde04 "Wanna Make A Busy Partial NYC Map(LC) TRAFF PEDS TRASH ETC"

Bro would be dope, I tried using the codewalker but didn't have the patience lol

• @krashadam said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

@Derpy-Canadian again a useless topic to push your hate on map editor/menyoo and saying only you do well etc etc we know you already said it enough i think.

I, for one, I'm glad he said what he did. It's high time someone had the guts to do it, anyway. I tried the same once too, and you rarely get many popularity points for doing so, but the man is 100% right.

And, as you say, @Derpy-Canadian is not intending to demotivate ppl, but rather show them what's really possible these days! That's a true motivator.

• @Biggdogg forealll i'll try learning;.(

Sadly Menyoo doesn't read my props correctly

First time I heard of this. What exactly does Menyoo do? Does it give you an 'Invalid Object' error? Does it despawn directly?

• we hate fgz

• @meimeiriver said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

@krashadam said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

First time I heard of this. What exactly does Menyoo do? Does it give you an 'Invalid Object' error? Does it despawn directly?

Well, actually, the prop gets listed but never shows up. Spawning it responds with the error "[ERROR]: INVALID MODEL CHECK SUGGESTED LOCATIONS [ NO SUGGESTED LOCATIONS ]"

And every model that's been listed but doesn't show up when highlighted will do this. I've considered a new proplist naming half the props I need and want, it seems pre-made buildings (the ones you see in Los Santos) don't like being spawned. Don't know why, they just don't seem to...

@meimeiriver said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

Well, actually, the prop gets listed but never shows up. Spawning it responds with the error "[ERROR]: INVALID MODEL CHECK SUGGESTED LOCATIONS [ NO SUGGESTED LOCATIONS ]"

And every model that's been listed but doesn't show up when highlighted will do this. I've considered a new proplist naming half the props I need and want, it seems pre-made buildings (the ones you see in Los Santos) don't like being spawned. Don't know why, they just don't seem to...

Some ingame props are known to do this, when they can't be spawned in the area you're in. Only way to solve that, is to simply copy the desired object and its corresponding ytyp entry, required dictionaries, etc, and add it (renamed) to your own addon props, in order to bypass the spawn-location restrictions.

• @meimeiriver said in Codewalker and Map Editor:

Some ingame props are known to do this, when they can't be spawned in the area you're in. Only way to solve that, is to simply copy the desired object and its corresponding ytyp entry, required dictionaries, etc, and add it (renamed) to your own addon props, in order to bypass the spawn-location restrictions.

That's one fucking nasty restriction. I've thankfully downloaded Custom Props by @Shaezbreizh so I'll happily add the buildings there. Glad someone warned me about this, it's not common for community members to help out someone else especially when they're really stressed about props not working for strange unknown reasons.

That's one fucking nasty restriction. I've thankfully downloaded Custom Props by @Shaezbreizh so I'll happily add the buildings there. Glad someone warned me about this, it's not common for community members to help out someone else especially when they're really stressed about props not working for strange unknown reasons.

It's an annoying restriction, yes; and actually happening with quite a bit of objects (like objects from Michael's house, for instance, like trinkets on the dresser in the bedroom of Michael's daughter). I'm used to it by now. :) So, if I want a object that won't spawn in the area I'm building, I just relist it as my own prop, in my own, private addon props DLC. Easy-peasy.

Modders often suggest you visit the allowed-spawn areas first (like TP to Michaels home, then load your map); but fuck that! LOL.

• @meimeiriver Your tactic sounds better, so I'll try it out when I've fixed my mod and then installed Custom Props.
    (also some PCPD cars...)

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.