Fatal Error when installing Natural Vision with OpenIV

• Hello, can anyone help with this query? I can't seem to find anything related to this online, forgive me if it's been asked before.

I get a Fatal error, install failed message using the OIV files to install Natural Vision (and other OIVs error if the game files haven't yet been copied to mods):

[24/07/2018 12:05:16] [10136] INFO  -> Add file into archive
                                        {
                                            Source: "content/mod/carcols/dlc.rpf"
                                            Destination: "mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\NVR_carcols\dlc.rpf"
                                            Archive: "W:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V"
                                        }
    [24/07/2018 12:05:18] [10136] ERROR -> Unable to add file "content/mod/carcols/dlc.rpf"
    [24/07/2018 12:05:18] [10136] INFO  -> ARCHIVE "GTA V" processed
    [24/07/2018 12:05:18] [10136] INFO  -> Installation FAILED

Now I was getting a lot of these errors until I manually copied the games files into the mods folder (isn't OpenIV supposed to do this for me so you don't end up with duplicates of the entire game?). I copied pretty much everything from GTA5 into mods and it got me passed most of the errors except for the one above.

It feels like I am going about this in the wrong way, moving the files manually to the mods folder for OpenIV to update, and now I am stuck and GTA wont open unless I nuke the mods folder. What am I missing?

I am using a steam version of the game just purchased, it's installed on a network drive (actually it's an internal SSD in UnRaid, but windows views it as a network drive). I tried it with a local C Drive install too but the same happened.

• Out of curiosity, when did you buy the game since you said it’s just purchased? Cause a new update just came out today so most mods aren’t working right now

• I bought it a couple of days ago and have just seen the update go on today. It was failing before the update at the OpenIV stage, before even launching, and would then crash on launching.

Tried a different mod today and it seemed to install correctly with OpenIV but crashes on loading story mode, probably due to the update.

Is it normal practice to have to copy all the games files to the mods folder?

• Banned

@UnexpectedSon You have this all wrong. It's not just a "mods" folder. The mods folder is a container for the games original files - it should mirror all the files from your game directory - this includes x64a.rpf to x64w.rpf, the common folder, x64 folder, and update folder.

• I think I get that, although it wasnt clear at the start.

Should I be expecting OpenIV to copy all the files it needs to mod into the mods folder? Because it doesn't do that, it just fails with a similar error to the above (but refers to common.rfp, the first archive file)

The only way I get anywhere is by copying the whole game manually into mods, then running an OIV.

Even then Natural Vision will fail on the above error, not really sure what I am doing wrong here.

@eshenk said in Fatal Error when installing Natural Vision with OpenIV:

• it should mirror all the files from your game directory -

No, it should mirror all the archives with edited files inside (textures, model information etc) And not even that is completely necessary as eg Vlad has proven in his LA Architecture mod
    The game picks up the yft/ytd and overwrites the textures that way as long as the content.xml is setup accordingly

• Banned

@UnexpectedSon FWIW, I myself manually installed NVR. I don't really like the OIV approach unless I know for 100% that it does not contain any files that might overwrite one's I don't want overwritten. So.....I would advise you to do the same - just follow the directory structure within the manual install folder, mirroring the same in your openIV. You also need to launch the english.html file included, as there are a few things you will need to read, especially about what they say you need to do with settings.xml and visualsettings.dat Also, if allowed that R* update yesterday, and don't have back-ups to overwrite what was overwritten yesterday, the timecyclemods.asi will cease to function until scripthookv is updated.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.