How To Replace Weapons.awc - Realistic Gun Sounds 2.6

• Hi,

Yesterday I installed realistic gun sounds 2.6 into my game and before that I had gun sounds overhaul 2.0 installed.

I installed realistic gun sounds 2.6 manual version exactly as per the readme.

After playing I wanted to delete or replace realistic gun sounds with gun sounds overhaul.

The problem I have is the weapons.awc file from realistic gun sounds will not replace, delete or modify. It appears to overide any weapons.awc in openiv.

I have tried replacing with backup versions of weapons.awc and still nothing. For some reason the weapons.awc is overriding it reverting back to the weapons.awc from realistic gun sounds and cannot be deleted or replaced.

Does anyone have any idea on what to do.
    Any help is appreciated.

• why don't you just install gun sounds overhall like how you did it before

• I did and the weapons.awc from gun sounds overhaul won’t replace the weapons.awc from realistic gun sounds.

• @9Lincoln20 try to delete weapon.awc then defragment that rpf file and then put there your backup file. Or delete manually whole folder which include this file and put there backup if you have it whole backed up.

Had this problem with vehicles few days ago. I replaced model as hundreds before and the model was showing right in OpenIV, but in the game was model still old one (no new and no vanilla, totally different model which was nowhere in the game files anymore :grin: ) and I solved it by deleting mods folder, put there backup mods folder and replace it again.

I think it is some type of glitch after too many times replacing the same item. Even delete model and put there vanilla one didn't worked for me, had to delete whole mods folder and use backup one.

• @ArmaniAdnr said in How To Replace Weapons.awc - Realistic Gun Sounds 2.6:

@9Lincoln20 try to delete weapon.awc then defragment that rpf file and then put there your backup file. Or delete manually whole folder which include this file and put there backup if you have it whole backed up.

Had this problem with vehicles few days ago. I replaced model as hundreds before and the model was showing right in OpenIV, but in the game was model still old one (no new and no vanilla, totally different model which was nowhere in the game files anymore :grin: ) and I solved it by deleting mods folder, put there backup mods folder and replace it again.

I think it is some type of glitch after too many times replacing the same item. Even delete model and put there vanilla one didn't worked for me, had to delete whole mods folder and use backup one.

Ok I will give that a try. I have tried installing weapons.awc from my back ups or even he fresh original version but for some reason the weapons.awc from realistic gun sounds keeps appearing and cannot be replaced

@9Lincoln20 try to delete weapon.awc then defragment that rpf file and then put there your backup file. Or delete manually whole folder which include this file and put there backup if you have it whole backed up.

Nope this didn’t work either

• @9Lincoln20 lol wtf, so I don't have idea when I don't sit behind this problem :disappointed_relieved:

@9Lincoln20 lol wtf, so I don't have idea when I don't sit behind this problem :disappointed_relieved:

Either do I it’s so weird.

I have deleted and tried to re instal from backups but for some reason this weapons.awc overrides any attempt to replace it.

I think I may have to uninstall GTA V and reinstall but what happens if the weapons.awc overrides the new file coming being reinstalled.

I just don’t know how I can delete it. It’s like it’s permanently installed.

• @9Lincoln20
    Can you confirm that when you try to replace or delete 'weapons.awc' OpenIV gives you an error etc or that you are presuming there is an issue as the in-game sounds sound the same even though you have successfully replaced 'weapons.awc'?

'Weapons.awc' Confirmed Unable To Edit/Delete (OpenIV Error etc):

If all other '.awc' are working correctly, it's most likely that 'weapons.awc' is corrupt.
    Backup any '.awc' files you have edited & want to keep & then replace/remake entire 'RESIDENT.RPF' from backup & then re-install anything that is missing.
    Sorry, it's not much help if you don't have a thorough backup regime. Implement one if you don't already have one.
    A less severe solution might be to just rebuild 'RESIDENT.RPF' manually somewhere in OpenIV (ie create new 'RESIDENT.RPF' in a folder in the root of GTA install (for example) & then move all '.awc' from the old one to Windows Explorer folder & then into the new 'RESIDENT.RPF'). You never know, could get rid of your GTA gremlins.
    Best of luck :thumbsup:

'Weapons.awc' Presumed Not Working As In-Game Gun Sounds Do Not Change:

The sounds for the player's weapons are here:

...\mods\x64\audio\sfx\WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf

If you are only changing the 'weapons.awc' here:

...\mods\x64\audio\sfx\RESIDENT.rpf\weapons.awc

then you are only changing the sounds for the ai, not the gun's that the player uses.

Replace the 'snp_heavy.awc', 'snp_rifle.awc', 'spl_grenade_player.awc' etc files in 'WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf' with the ones from Gun Sounds Overhall to fix if this is the case. :thumbsup:

• @a63nt-5m1th said in How To Replace Weapons.awc - Realistic Gun Sounds 2.6:

@9Lincoln20
    Can you confirm that when you try to replace or delete 'weapons.awc' OpenIV gives you an error etc or that you are presuming there is an issue as the in-game sounds sound the same even though you have successfully replaced 'weapons.awc'?

'Weapons.awc' Confirmed Unable To Edit/Delete (OpenIV Error etc):

If all other '.awc' are working correctly, it's most likely that 'weapons.awc' is corrupt.
    Backup any '.awc' files you have edited & want to keep & then replace/remake entire 'RESIDENT.RPF' from backup & then re-install anything that is missing.
    Sorry, it's not much help if you don't have a thorough backup regime. Implement one if you don't already have one.
    A less severe solution might be to just rebuild 'RESIDENT.RPF' manually somewhere in OpenIV (ie create new 'RESIDENT.RPF' in a folder in the root of GTA install (for example) & then move all '.awc' from the old one to Windows Explorer folder & then into the new 'RESIDENT.RPF'). You never know, could get rid of your GTA gremlins.
    Best of luck :thumbsup:

'Weapons.awc' Presumed Not Working As In-Game Gun Sounds Do Not Change:

The sounds for the player's weapons are here:

...\mods\x64\audio\sfx\WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf

If you are only changing the 'weapons.awc' here:

...\mods\x64\audio\sfx\RESIDENT.rpf\weapons.awc

then you are only changing the sounds for the ai, not the gun's that the player uses.

Replace the 'snp_heavy.awc', 'snp_rifle.awc', 'spl_grenade_player.awc' etc files in 'WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf' with the ones from Gun Sounds Overhall to fix if this is the case. :thumbsup:

When I try to replace or delete weapons.awc there is no error code from openiv. When I replace the weapons.awc with the one from gun sounds overhaul 2.0 when you to open the weapons.awc the files from realistic gun sounds are still sitting there even though the weapons.awc file was just replaced.

When I delete the weapons.awc and try to replace with a standard base game weapons.awc from my backups no luck. Again when I open the weapons.awc the files from realistic gun sounds are still there.

I have tried everything to replace or delete this weapons.awc but for some reason it won’t delete or replace and the files remain. It’s like the files are now permanently installed.

• @9Lincoln20
    Hmmm? Yeah, that's a weird one. Gonna have to be a shotgun approach I reckon :slight_frown:.

Try running an error-checking scan on the hard drive you have GTA & also OpenIV installed on:

My Computer > Right-click said hard drive > 'Properties' > 'Tools' Tab > 'Error Checking' > '[Check Now]'
    Note: After hitting '[Check Now]' it is probably best to make sure ONLY "automatically fix file system errors" is ticked (ie 'Scan for and attempt... should be unticked this time but might be worth trying at some point (if you have the time, by all means tick them both but probably run it overnight as it can take ages to complete).

Just to eliminate, it's probably worth running a system file scan also:

Windows Orb > 'Run' > Type 'cmd' & hit Enter > then type 'sfc /scannow' & hit Enter > Wait for scan to finish (it will tell you at the end if it finds/replaces any corrupted Windows .dll's etc)
    Note: If 'Run' is not present right-click Windows Orb > 'Properties' > 'Start Menu' Tab > '[Customise...]' & then hunt for 'Run' dialogue & enable it.

The instructions above are for Win7. Should be similar on other Win versions (Google will answer specifics for Win8/10 etc).

If any errors are discovered & fixed try replacing 'weapons.awc' again.

If nothing is found at least you know Windows is in good shape & has been eliminated as a variable :thumbsup:

I'll try & think of anything else that might help :thumbsup: Are you using a 'mods' folder? (ie are the sounds in your 'mods' folder directory or are you editing the game files in the game folder?)

Extra (still shotgun/guess approach):

Try using OpenIV's right-click 'Replace' (Shift+Ins) functionallity to replace 'weapons.awc' (rather than drag & drop etc).

Edit: Try re-installing OpenIV while being sure to delete this folder path & everything in it before you re-install:

C:\Users\ <username here>\AppData\Local\New Technology Studio

@9Lincoln20
    Hmmm? Yeah, that's a weird one. Gonna have to be a shotgun approach I reckon :slight_frown:.

Try running an error-checking scan on the hard drive you have GTA & also OpenIV installed on:

My Computer > Right-click said hard drive > 'Properties' > 'Tools' Tab > 'Error Checking' > '[Check Now]'
    Note: After hitting '[Check Now]' it is probably best to make sure ONLY "automatically fix file system errors" is ticked (ie 'Scan for and attempt... should be unticked this time but might be worth trying at some point (if you have the time, by all means tick them both but probably run it overnight as it can take ages to complete).

Just to eliminate, it's probably worth running a system file scan also:

Windows Orb > 'Run' > Type 'cmd' & hit Enter > then type 'sfc /scannow' & hit Enter > Wait for scan to finish (it will tell you at the end if it finds/replaces any corrupted Windows .dll's etc)
    Note: If 'Run' is not present right-click Windows Orb > 'Properties' > Hunt for 'Run' dialogue & enable it.

The instructions above are for Win7. Should be similar on other Win versions (Google will answer specifics for Win8/10 etc).

If any errors are discovered & fixed try replacing 'weapons.awc' again.

If nothing is found at least you know Windows is in good shape & has been eliminated as a variable :thumbsup:

I'll try & think of anything else that might help :thumbsup: Are you using a 'mods' folder? (ie are the sounds in your 'mods' folder directory or are you editing the game files in the game folder?)

Extra (still shotgun/guess approach):

Try using OpenIV's right-click 'Replace' (Shift+Ins) functionallity to replace 'weapons.awc' (rather than drag & drop etc).

Edit: Try re-installing OpenIV while being sure to delete this folder path & everything in it before you re-install:

C:\Users\ <username here>\AppData\Local\New Technology Studio

Thanks very much and I will try the error checking scans.

Yes I do have a mods folder and I’ve yried deleting and replacing this folder from a backup several times to no effect.

Yes I tried the replace metjod using the shift key but no luck.

I will try deleting the new technology data before reinstalling openiv.

Thank you for all your help but I have never seen anything like this.

• @9Lincoln20 said in How To Replace Weapons.awc - Realistic Gun Sounds 2.6:

I have never seen anything like this.

Me neither. It's a weird one for sure.

@9Lincoln20 said in How To Replace Weapons.awc - Realistic Gun Sounds 2.6:

I have never seen anything like this.

Me neither. It's a weird one for sure.

Tell me about it.

I am thinking I may have to uninstall everything including GTA V and reinstall and rebuild my game.

I just hope once I reinstall the original game files and I reinstall openiv the weapons.awc doesn’t revert back to realistic gun sounds

• @9Lincoln20

Possessed Compter

Have you tried Holy Water? :smile:

Maybe it's a demon :slight_smile:, but my money is on some corruption somewhere. Let me know how you get on with the Error Checking & System Scan/Reinstall OpenIV :thumbsup:
    If that doesn't change anything then we'll call that Preacher lol or maybe try something else like deleting the entire mods/x64/audio folder (making backup first if contain files important), restart PC (do full power off/drain of power completely) & see if files appear again & if not then try loading the game to see if sounds back to default?
    If that works then copy game folder /x64/audio over to mods folder, restart computer, load up game & check sounds etc. There will be a workaround somewhere, we just need to find it :thumbsup:

You might want to try and use R* own GTASetupTool.exe

It verifies the game archive files aswell as the Social Club installation

@9Lincoln20

Possessed Compter

Have you tried Holy Water? :smile:

Maybe it's a demon :slight_smile:, but my money is on some corruption somewhere. Let me know how you get on with the Error Checking & System Scan/Reinstall OpenIV :thumbsup:
    If that doesn't change anything then we'll call that Preacher lol or maybe try something else like deleting the entire mods/x64/audio folder (making backup first if contain files important), restart PC (do full power off/drain of power completely) & see if files appear again & if not then try loading the game to see if sounds back to default?
    If that works then copy game folder /x64/audio over to mods folder, restart computer, load up game & check sounds etc. There will be a workaround somewhere, we just need to find it :thumbsup:

😂😂😂😂😂😂 so i did all the scans and all scans came back with no errors. C drive is all clear.

I tried deleting my mods folder, replacing with default sound and full shut downs all to no success.

@9Lincoln20

Possessed Compter

Those PCs being labelled "demons" are probably running Windows 10, hence why they're being labeled as demons.

• @9Lincoln20
    Exorcism it is then. lol

So if you delete your mods folder (without replacing from backup) & restart your PC the 'mods' folder & all of it's contents stay deleted or reappear?
    If they reappear it may be a corrupted Recycle Bin:

Remove Corrupted Recycle Bin -

• Run Command Prompt as an administrator.

• Type the command rd /s /q C:$Recycle.bin and press Enter.

The command above assumes that drive C: is where your GTAV install resides. If it uses a different drive letter replace C: in the line above with the correct letter.
    After the command completes (a few seconds usually) restart your PC & Windows will automatically create new Recycle Bin/s (one for each drive) as it loads up.
    Note: You are safe to run that^ command even if the 'mods' folders/files are not reappearing. It won't cause any harm. You'll just get brand new Recycle Bin/s. :thumbsup:

Windows Permissions:
    Make sure your permissions for 'RESIDENT.RPF' look like this for 'SYSTEM' & your user account/s (right-click 'RESIDENT.RPF' > 'Properties' > 'Security' Tab).
    Resident.rpf Permissions

Reinstall - Probably the Easiest Solution:
    How much hard drive space do you have? Enough to keep the 'possessed' installation & reinstall GTA in a new location? I reckon that might be your quickest solution as I am pretty sure there is no way this side of hell that the demon 'weapons.awc' could move itself to your new install. Also, having the old install on hand has it's obvious benefits & should slipstream the whole process some.

Extra:

HDDScan – Free HDD Diagnostic Utility
    It might be worth downloading HDDScan (it's completely free) & running a scan on your hard drive for bad sectors/blocks or at least checking your drives S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) for any fails. This won't fix your problem but will give you information on the health of your drive that might save you hassle in future if it's on it's way out etc.

@9Lincoln20
    Exorcism it is then. lol

So if you delete your mods folder (without replacing from backup) & restart your PC the 'mods' folder & all of it's contents stay deleted or reappear?
    If they reappear it may be a corrupted Recycle Bin:

Remove Corrupted Recycle Bin -

• Run Command Prompt as an administrator.

• Type the command rd /s /q C:$Recycle.bin and press Enter.

The command above assumes that drive C: is where your GTAV install resides. If it uses a different drive letter replace C: in the line above with the correct letter.
    After the command completes (a few seconds usually) restart your PC & Windows will automatically create new Recycle Bin/s (one for each drive) as it loads up.
    Note: You are safe to run that^ command even if the 'mods' folders/files are not reappearing. It won't cause any harm. You'll just get brand new Recycle Bin/s. :thumbsup:

Windows Permissions:
    Make sure your permissions for 'RESIDENT.RPF' look like this for 'SYSTEM' & your user account/s (right-click 'RESIDENT.RPF' > 'Properties' > 'Security' Tab).
    Resident.rpf Permissions

Reinstall - Probably the Easiest Solution:
    How much hard drive space do you have? Enough to keep the 'possessed' installation & reinstall GTA in a new location? I reckon that might be your quickest solution as I am pretty sure there is no way this side of hell that the demon 'weapons.awc' could move itself to your new install. Also, having the old install on hand has it's obvious benefits & should slipstream the whole process some.

Extra:

HDDScan – Free HDD Diagnostic Utility
    It might be worth downloading HDDScan (it's completely free) & running a scan on your hard drive for bad sectors/blocks or at least checking your drives S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) for any fails. This won't fix your problem but will give you information on the health of your drive that might save you hassle in future if it's on it's way out etc.

YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THIS I UNINSTALLED GTA V. PERFORMED A FULL REINSTALL AND UPDATED TO THE LATEST VERSION. REALISTIC GUN SOUND FILES ARE STILL IN THE WEAPONS.AWC FILE HOWEVER THE DEFAULT WEAPONS SOUNDS ARE SOUNDING IN GAME. HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN AFTER A FRESH INSTALL.

• @9Lincoln20
    Satan Inside

Was the fresh install in a new location, yeah? That's demonic if it is lol. That should NOT happen!
    If you installed it in the same location as before it IS possible. I've seen problems like that with Windows in the past. Where files refuse to change or appear not to etc. Corrupted MFT (Master File Table) most likely but could be a host of other things also. Tricky to fix without a heap of investigation (posting Windows logs to experts online to decipher etc).
    Also, make sure you run a good anti-virus scan just to be sure :thumbsup: I use SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition & it has never let me down. Has even found things Kaspersky has missed.
    Sounds like your issue is fixed though? Sorta.

@9Lincoln20
    Satan Inside

Was the fresh install in a new location, yeah? That's demonic if it is lol. That should NOT happen!
    If you installed it in the same location as before it IS possible. I've seen problems like that with Windows in the past. Where files refuse to change or appear not to etc. Corrupted MFT (Master File Table) most likely but could be a host of other things also. Tricky to fix without a heap of investigation (posting Windows logs to experts online to decipher etc).
    Also, make sure you run a good anti-virus scan just to be sure :thumbsup: I use SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition & it has never let me down. Has even found things Kaspersky has missed.
    Sounds like your issue is fixed though? Sorta.

I’m just going have to use the sounds that working.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.