[Tutorial] How to do: Add-On / Replace (Vehicles & Weapons)

• @Reyser I have got two addons that are a bit unusual compared to the rest I have been dealing with. One seems to have an excessive amount of data in the <Lights> section of Carcols. The other comes with car and wheels in separate rpf files. So it has 2 for the normal vehicle and another 2 in the vehiclemods folder... as well as a <Wheels> section in Carcols.

I have managed to combine pretty much every car addon I have now, which has got everything into 2 addon packs. But I have had to keep these two separate because I'm just not sure what to do with them.

The <Lights> problem is on this https://www.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/austin-healey-3000-add-on

And the rpf problem is in the 2016 Dodge Charger by tkOwnz https://www.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/2016-dodge-charger-sxt-r-t-srt-392-hellcat-add-on-replace-hq

@LeeC2202

For Austin Healey: You just need the <Lights> section that has as <name> tag "austinh". The rest are trash.

For 2016 Dodge Charger: Is the same process as with only 2 rpf files in a simple Add-On, but with 3. The only thing that changes is that you'll need to edit the content.xml file to add the new rpf file "16chargerwheel_mods" as a new rpf to load. Just copy/paste this:

For <dataFiles> section:

<Item>
          <filename>dlc_YOUR_DLC_FOLDER_NAME:/YOUR_DLC_FOLDER_PATH_TO_VEHICLEMODS_FOLDER/16chargerwheel_mods.rpf</filename>
          <fileType>RPF_FILE</fileType>
          <overlay value="false" />
          <disabled value="true" />
          <persistent value="true" />
        </Item>

For <contentChangeSets> section:

<Item>dlc_YOUR_DLC_FOLDER_NAME:/YOUR_DLC_FOLDER_PATH_TO_VEHICLEMODS_FOLDER/16chargerwheel_mods.rpf</Item>

• @Reyser Thank you, that's great... just one question about what you posted for the Charger, in your addon base folders, the vehiclemods section is like this:

<Item>
    	<filename>dlc_pre1990:/%PLATFORM%/vehiclemods/rmodmustang_mods.rpf</filename>
    	<fileType>RPF_FILE</fileType>
    		<locked value="true"/>
    		<disabled value="true"/>
    		<persistent value="true"/>
    		<overlay value="true"/>
    </Item>

Which is what I have used for all of my vehiclemods... is that wrong? Should I be using what you posted above instead, with just the three value entries??

@LeeC2202 I knew you were going to ask that XD

Use the #4 value entries instead of the ones I've posted on my last comment. Not really needed to choose between both entries options for Add-Ons, because a new Add-On pack won't replace old vehicle files like Rockstar does with their patchdayng folders.

But yeah use the #4 ones, just to avoid any problem that could occur with any of your Add-Ons.

EDIT: Also, using the #4 ones, if you're going to install Add-On vehicles that are original game vehicles but modded or something else, that will benefit your purpose to use the new files instead of the old ones.

• @Reyser Thank you. :slight_smile:

@LeeC2202 Np, I'm glad to help :)

Quick question, what do you do when an add-on car has no carcols.meta file? (For creating compound DLC's) Just ignore it?

• @meimeiriver I hope the answer to this is yes.... because that's what I did.

@LeeC2202 Thx. That's what I'll just do then. :) I thought maybe you had to create some empty placeholder carcols.meta entry for it or something; but I'll just leave it open for now.

@meimeiriver @LeeC2202 If the vehicle doesn't have tuning parts (or it has an empty vehicle_mods.rpf file), then yes. I never have carcols.meta data for a vehicle without tuning parts.

BUT, never forget that if any of both situations mentioned above occurs, then the carvariations.meta <kits><item>CONTENT</item></kits> lines should be like that:

<kits>
       <item>0_default_modkit</item>
    </kits>

• @Reyser Every car I have had that has had no carcols.meta has always had a carvariations.meta... so I presume the author knew enough about the rest of the files to add the correct entries to cater for that.

I hope so anyway, because I don't fancy trying to find the ones that didn't have a carcols.meta to check.

@Reyser said in [Tutorial | Vehicles/Weapons] How to do: Add-On's / Replacer's:

@meimeiriver @LeeC2202 If the vehicle doesn't have tuning parts (or it has an empty vehicle_mods.rpf file), then yes. I never have carcols.meta data for a vehicle without tuning parts.

BUT, never forget that if any of both situations mentioned above occurs, then the carvariations.meta <kits><item>CONTENT</item></kits> lines should be like that:

<kits>
       <item>0_default_modkit</item>
    </kits>

Check! The second car I'm adding has no carcols.meta (and indeed the proper kits setting). The first car is a bit weird, though; it has both these files in vehiclemods:

empty_mods.rpf
    ninjah2_mods.rpf

The former archive is, indeed, empty. :P And is not referenced at all. I'm thinking of just deleting it.

@LeeC2202 carvariations.meta file is necessary for any game vehicle, so if you find a vehicle without it, you'll need to create one.

Anyway, as all the vehicles I install as Add-Ons goes to a pack, I check every essential file to be sure it'll work as it should on mine.

Even doing that, I've experienced that 2 vehicles (one is not released yet and the other one is on this site, but don't remember who's his author) can't be added to my packs.

For an unkown reason they crash my game (the unreleased only crash if it has his tuning parts installed in a pack of mine, but as single Add-On works fine), so when I'll have holidays I'll look into it.

So, before you go crazy trying to find why any of the Add-Ons you install crash, be sure to check and try everything as single mod with the latest vehicle that caused this issue. (Just a tip).

@meimeiriver If it's empty, yeah delete it. You don't need an empty rpf file, it's just consuming MB.

• @Reyser Luckily (touch wood) every car apart from a Mercedes 300SL has gone in and not caused a crash. The majority of them seem to have faulty tuning parts if I try and change them but as default, they all work and I've done about 40 or so over the last few days.

As long as they spawn and stay stable, I don't mind. I never get chance to drive for more than 5 minutes anyway, so tuning wouldn't have much value. :D

Hmm, working less well than I wanted. Keep getting ERR_SYS_FILELOAD error, probably indicating it wants to reference a file somewhere, but can't find it. Everything seems to be there, though.

• @meimeiriver How many cars have you combined?

@LeeC2202 Just 2, for now. :)

• @meimeiriver If you want to host it somewhere and PM me a link, I can have a look if you'd like... or PM me the links to the 2 cars and I will build the same pack and you can compare. I don't mind, I'll be up for a while yet, it's only 2:35am.

@meimeiriver @LeeC2202 I won't be active until Friday (an exam and 2 projects keep me busy until then), I'm sorry if I can't find a moment to help you both 😥.

Btw good night, here in Spain we're currently at 3:52 AM at the moment I wrote these lines from my smartphone.

• @Reyser Np, thank you for all the help, it is very much appreciated. Good luck with the exam. :slight_smile:

@LeeC2202 Okay, I finally figured it out.

Some strange characters appear to be in setup2.xml of the DLC 4 template. When you look at it, in the OpenIV viewer, it shows as:

o;?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

You don't normally see that 'o;?', (EF BB FB in hex) in your editor: it's the 'textified' version of what the OpenIV viewer shows you. So, if you Ctrl-A copy such text, from the OpenIV viewer, you get the literal 'o;?', textified prefix in your xml file. Which is what happened in my case. Took me half a day to figure it out. :)

Upon closer examination, I'm seeing that EF BB FB triplet prefix in many setup2.xml files, btw (because they all used the same template?). I don't think it should be in there, really. I'm no expert on XML, I haste to say, but I can't imagine non-visible hex chars to be an official part of the lingo.

Anyway, once I realized what had happened, my own compound-rolled DLC worked again! :)

And, of course, Lee, a profuse 'Thank you!' to you for helping me, in the middle of the night no less! It was at least hopeful, to me, that I had essentially understood the process correctly; but, as these things go, it's always something as banale as what happened that trips you up, after all. :)

• @meimeiriver I must confess, I don't use the base folders. I created my own template set from the original game files. I know which characters you mean though, I've seen them in files myself but I can't remember if that was a reason for me creating my own set... not sure.

Edit: They are there in OpenIV even from my own set of files... maybe it's an OpenIV thing, because they don't show in Notepad++ when I show all unprintable characters. :\

As far as I know, that line simply defines the schema for the XML file, I am not sure if it is even processed by an XML reader, I'll do a test with one of my test readers and find out.

The reason I hate XML is because it is so awkward to deal with, even down to the case of the element tags causing a problem as I saw in another thread. Trying to spot the error between two elements, when the only difference is a capital or lower case 'i', is a nightmare. In the middle of a 400+ line XML file, it's the proverbial needle in the haystack. If you're creating it from code, it's fine... but by manual input, it is fraught with danger.

The important thing is you got it working... and I am glad I was able to help in any way to get you there. One more person understanding the process is always a bonus. :slight_smile:

@LeeC2202 said in [Tutorial | Vehicles/Weapons] How to do: Add-On's / Replacer's:

Edit: They are there in OpenIV even from my own set of files... maybe it's an OpenIV thing.

Well, like I said, that EF BB FB isn't normally visible in your editor. So, yeah, maybe OpenIV shouldn't try and make it readable text, as that can lead to weirdness -- QED. Or it could indeed very well be an OpenIV generated 'text' too. In which case it would probably qualify as a bug (but one, as you said, which generally goes unnoticed, as no sane XML parser would try to interpret those tokens).

P.S. My apologies to Reyser if those weird tokens aren't actually in his templates. At this point, I can't tell, of course, as the only way I can view those dlc.rpf files is with OpenIV. Considering they appear inside your own XML files too, Lee, I reckon it's really just OpenIV, though.

• @meimeiriver I've just extracted the setup2.xml from the base folders pack and those characters aren't there in Notepad++, so it definitely looks like an OpenIV thing...

I think even when they add XML editing in OpenIV, I will export and edit outside... I'll stick with what I know and trust.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.