Is there a way to tell if an add-on car mod has LODs?

• So I like downloading add-on cars, but I'd also like to see them spawn naturally in traffic without my game crashing. I can get them to spawn naturally in traffic by adding them to popgroups.ymt, but I've been reading about how a lot of car mods don't have proper LODs so they'll be rendered in full detail regardless of distance. And the more cars that do that, the more strain on the game and/or PC, meaning more crashes.
    But what I haven't been able to find is if there's any way to tell if a car mod has LODs. I'm assuming if I could figure this out and only add cars with LODs to my popgroups.ymt then my game would be a lot more stable.

Follow-up question: In the "lodDistances" section of vehicles.meta files, there are 6 values, but I don't know what they mean. Can someone explain that? And if a car doesn't have LODs, would modifying these values do anything to improve stability if it's spawning naturally in traffic?

One more question: There wouldn't happen to be a relatively easy way to modify car models to add LODs would there? I'm assuming the answer is "no" since a lot of modders don't include LODs in their add-ons.

Last question (seriously): Does increasing the number of vanilla cars in popgroups.ymt sections decrease stability? For example, I like to see rare cars in traffic and just more general variety, so my modified VEH_FREEWAY section has 162 vanilla cars. That's not increasing the number of cars that spawn, just the variety of cars that can spawn, so I don't see why it would make the game less stable, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did.

@BloodyRonin said in Is there a way to tell if an add-on car mod has LODs?:

So I like downloading add-on cars, but I'd also like to see them spawn naturally in traffic without my game crashing. I can get them to spawn naturally in traffic by adding them to popgroups.ymt, but I've been reading about how a lot of car mods don't have proper LODs so they'll be rendered in full detail regardless of distance. And the more cars that do that, the more strain on the game and/or PC, meaning more crashes.

correct, this also applies to vehicles having 4K textures (resize to 2K)
    and/or having not POT (Power Of Two) textures (being 128x128, 512x128, 1024x512 etc)
    so try to resize those whith minimal aspect ratio loss if you can

But what I haven't been able to find is if there's any way to tell if a car mod has LODs. I'm assuming if I could figure this out and only add cars with LODs to my popgroups.ymt then my game would be a lot more stable.

open the regular yft in OpenIV and click the 'Level of Detail' on your top right hand
    and if you can cycle through it (High, Med, Low, VLow...)
    then voila, this vehicle has LODS and you can keep the loddistances section in vanilla state for optimal performance
    do check if the polygon and vertices count are not too high still on Low and VLow compared to vanilla vehicles

alt text

Follow-up question: In the "lodDistances" section of vehicles.meta files, there are 6 values, but I don't know what they mean. Can someone explain that? And if a car doesn't have LODs, would modifying these values do anything to improve stability if it's spawning naturally in traffic?

it's distance in meters ingame
    so the first value is the distance the game serves the highest Level of Detail, further away less detail
    that is why these LODless "HQ" cars disappear from a distance, they lack that Level of Detail

One more question: There wouldn't happen to be a relatively easy way to modify car models to add LODs would there? I'm assuming the answer is "no" since a lot of modders don't include LODs in their add-ons.

there actually is via 3D modeling software, both via creating auto LODS and creating LOD from the L0 Level of Detail, but it takes extra time in the conversion process and for some reason most mod authors are completely ignorant to basic game functions or the users performance

Last question (seriously): Does increasing the number of vanilla cars in popgroups.ymt sections decrease stability? For example, I like to see rare cars in traffic and just more general variety, so my modified VEH_FREEWAY section has 162 vanilla cars. That's not increasing the number of cars that spawn, just the variety of cars that can spawn, so I don't see why it would make the game less stable, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did.

yes and no, I'm not sure tbh
    the game does not serve you all the vehicle entries in the specific ZONE sections right away, you'll have noticed that by now?
    it is both controlled by popcycle.dat (percentage of vehicles per ZONE category in popgroups), time of day, progress ingame, current protagonist, area on the map you're at
    the game unloads vehicles too after some time ingame and when you're moving over the map
    when you have a lot of entries in it does mean the game needs to load in more unique vehicle models than in vanilla state
    but as long as those models are optimized I don't think it leads to extra strain

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.