How to create a vehicle livery ?

• I'd like to create a livery for the Vapid Cara mod but I couldn't find a way to create one since i thought its just a ytd but it turned out that most of the liveries are yft's and I dint know how to edit or if it is even possible.

• @flying_bulletzzz
    You should be able to export, edit (in Photoshop etc) & then import the embedded textures back into the '.yft' using Texture Toolkit :thumbsup:
    Note: From my experience (editing textures in '.ypt' files anyway), Texture Toolkit crashes a lot! If you have problems, stick at it & it will work sooner or later. It's just a matter of luck for the most part but it's always worked for me in the end. Best of luck :thumbsup:

• @a63nt-5m1th Thanks for replying, but I cant find a tutorial that shows how to import textures into a yft file.

• @flying_bulletzzz
    It's pretty simple really. I'll cover the whole export > edit > import process here so you know what you are doing :thumbsup:

Install:

Export:

• Easiest way to open a '.yft' with it is either drag & drop the '.yft' onto the 'TextureTool.exe' (works with it's shortcut too) or run 'TextureTool.exe' & select 'File' tab > 'Load' ('Ctrl+O') & then browse to the file in question & hit the '[Open]' button.
    • If the '.yft' contains embedded textures you will see a selectable list of the textures contained on the left & a visual preview of the selected texture on the right of the Texture Toolkit window.
    • To Export the texture so you can edit it, select it & then go to 'Edit' tab > 'Export' & export it to a location of your choosing.
    • The texture will be exported as a '.dds' file that can be edited using Photoshop (or something similar).

Edit:

• You need one of these plugins for Photoshop to open & edit '.dds' textures:

IntelĀ® Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop (my first choice)

NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop

Import:

• Once you have edited the texture to your liking. Open up the '.yft' with Texture Toolkit & select 'Edit' tab > 'Import' to browse for the new texture (Note: make sure the texture name is the same as the original) & import it.
    • The visual preview should update with the new texture.
    • Select 'File' > 'Save' (Ctrl+S) or 'Save as...' to save the new edited '.yft' to a new location.
    • All done. Install the file in the game :thumbsup:

As mentioned, Texture Toolkit has a habit of crashing. For this reason, it's a good idea to keep backups of the files you are working with. Especially if you are editing multiple textures or dealing with files that contain a lot of them.

Any other questions, give me a shout :thumbsup:

• @a63nt-5m1th Thanks šŸ™šŸ». Sorry I'm taking up your time but I don't really work with texture editing programs so I'm not used to this.

• @flying_bulletzzz
    No probs, everyone's got to start somewhere :thumbsup:
    What is the exact mod you are trying to edit? I downloaded a few but couldn't find one with embedded liveries.

• @flying_bulletzzz
    Cheers :thumbsup:. Had a look at the cara liveries & here is a basic outline of what you will have to do (this time with pictures :slight_smile:).

Texture Toolkit seems quite stable with '.yft' files (just tested it) but if it is giving you trouble crashing you can cut down on how much you need to use it by exporting the textures from the '.yft' using the 'Export embedded textures' link in OpenIV's Model Viewer :thumbsup:

Export Embedded Textures

After that, open the 'cara_sign_1>11.dds' etc with texture editing software that can open & edit '.dds' files (like Photoshop. Google for others with .dds editing capability (Gimp/Paint.net etc) if you don't have Photoshop).

Edit: If using Photoshop & this box appears when you open the livery '.dds', tick the 'Load Transparency as Alpha channel' tick box (you don't need to tick the 'Load mip-maps into separate layers' as mip-maps can be created on export usually (certainly with 'IntelĀ® Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop' anyway (see export settings pic below. 'Mip Maps' > 'Auto Generate')).

Note: If you are using different software do a test export to see what you are dealing with first before editing the texture as they may have a different procedure etc & you don't want to find that out after spending time editing your texture & have to start all over etc. :thumbsup:

Load Transparency as Alpha channel

After the texture loads you'll find the Alpha/Transparency channel (if the texture has one) in the 'Channels' tab of the toolbar on the right of the screen. (Hint: In the alpha/transparency channel Pure Black = 100% invisible/hidden, Pure White = 100% visible. With varying degrees of visibility/transparency possible using greys inbetween the two & also those little eyes make the layer visible/invisible when you click on them. You have to hide all other layers & have the alpha channel selected to clearly see & edit it in black & white (shows up in a shade of red overlay otherwise)).
    Transparency is very useful in a multitude of ways & is, in my mind, the best way to get nice clean lines in liveries etc. It's worth taking some time to play around with the Alpha channel & get a feel for how it works. :thumbsup:

Alpha Channel

Edit your texture visually to your liking & save it (usually as DXT5 as this allows transparency/alpha channel & most liveries use that).
    Edit: If you're using Photoshop & the 'IntelĀ® Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop' these are the export settings you would choose:

IntelĀ® Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop DXT5

Next, using OpenIV, drag & drop the '.yft' livery files to a Windows folder of your choice.

Drag a '.yft' file from that Windows folder onto a shortcut to the Texture Toolkit 'TextureTool.exe' (or straight onto the 'TextureTool.exe' itself) & it will open it automatically & should look something like this:

Texture Toolkit Window

At this point rename your edited '.dds' to the same name as the one you intend to replace in Texture Toolkit (in this case 'cara_sign_11')

Go to the 'Edit' tab & hit 'Import' ('Ctrl+I')

Import

& then navigate to the folder where you have saved your edited texture of the same name & select it

Texture Toolkit will update & display the new edited texture

Updated Texture

From there, you hit 'File' & then 'Save' (to save over the original) or 'Save as...' (to choose a save destination of your choice) to save the new '.yft'

All that's left after that is to drag the new '.yft' into OpenIV over the original & replace it & then test it in-game.

• @a63nt-5m1th Thanks again.:smiley:

• @flying_bulletzzz
    No probs. Let me know how you get on :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

• it's easier when you use OpenIV program, if you interesting how to do just PM me

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.