[ Tutorial ] - dlclist.xml Troubleshooting/Syntax Rules/All DLC stopped working possible FIX

• Just covering the most common 'dlclist.xml' errors that can cause all your dlc to stop working/loading & also some guidelines on formatting & avoiding syntax errors.

Note: Reference to capital ('I') or lowercase ('i') apply only to the <Item>/~/</item> parts of the lines. Not to the dlc name or anything else.

No DLC is loading:
    If all your dlc has suddenly stopped loading, the most common cause is that there is a line in your 'dlclist.xml' that starts with a capital 'I' in the '<Item>' part & ends with a lowercase 'i' in the '</Item>' or vice versa (<item>/dlc-name-here/</Item> etc).

Capital ('<Item>')/Lowercase ('<item>'):

Both of these will work:

<Item>dlcpacks:/mpxmas_604490/</Item>

<item>dlcpacks:/mpchristmas2/</item>

You can have different lines, some with two capital 'I's ('<Item>' & '</Item>'), some with two lowercase 'i's ('<item>' & '</item>'). That's totally fine. They will both work. :thumbsup:

Example (all your dlc will load perfectly fine if formatted something like this):

<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpBeach\</item>
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpBusiness\</Item>
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpChristmas\</item>
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpValentines\</item>
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpBusiness2\</Item>
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpHipster\</Item>
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpIndependence\</Item>
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpPilot\</item>
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\spUpgrade\</item>
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpLTS\</Item>

Just make sure not to mix & match capitals 'I's ('<Item>' or '</Item>') & lowercase 'i's ('<item>' or '</item>') within the same line (see below).

Any one or more lines like this, will break 'dlclist.xml' functionality & STOP ALL DLC from loading:

<item>dlcpacks:/mpxmas_604490/</Item>

<Item>dlcpacks:/mpchristmas2/</item>

Example (some of these lines will cause your game to not load any dlc):

<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpBeach\</Item> (bad)
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpBusiness\</item> (bad)
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpChristmas\</item> (good)
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpValentines\</item> (bad)
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpBusiness2\</Item> (good)
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpHipster\</Item> (bad)
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpIndependence\</Item> (good)
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpPilot\</item> (good)
    		<item>platform:\dlcPacks\spUpgrade\</Item> (bad)
    		<Item>platform:\dlcPacks\mpLTS\</Item> (good)

Easy way to find syntax errors:
    If you use 'Edit' (right-click file>'Edit' or 'Ctrl+Enter') to open a file using OpenIV, a '[</> XML]' button will appear at the top when you are in the file. Tap that button & OpenIV will check the file for syntax errors & take you to where it thinks the error is if it finds one. After you fix the error, hit the '[</> XML]' button again to check there isn't more than one & then '[Save]' the file (bottom right). :thumbsup:
    Note: OpenIV will now also notify you of syntax errors when you attempt to '[Save]' a file after editing it.

Backslashes or Forwardslashes on either side of the dlc name:
    These don't matter, in that they can be backslashes (' \ ') OR forwardslashes (' / ') & even if you mix & match in the same line, the dlc will still load perfectly fine.

Example (all this dlc will still load perfectly, even if formatted like this):

<Item>dlcpacks:/forest/</Item>
    		<Item>dlcpacks:\firebird77/</Item>
    		<item>dlcpacks:\na1\</item>
    		<item>dlcpacks:/16challenger\</item>

Correct general formatting of 'dlclist.xml' file & where to add new lines:

If you're new to GTAV modding, it's not always clear in mod instructions where exactly one should add the dlc line, so just to clarify, it can go anywhere below '<Paths>' but above '</Paths>' & in it's own line is usually best/easiest to read etc.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <SMandatoryPacksData>
    	<Paths>
    Add DLC Lines HERE (below what already exists is usually best, but anywhere here, in it's own line, will work)
    	</Paths>
    </SMandatoryPacksData>

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <SMandatoryPacksData>
    	<Paths>
    		...~
    		<Item>dlcpacks:/forest/</Item>
    		<Item>dlcpacks:/firebird77/</Item>
    		<item>dlcpacks:\na1\</item>
    		<item>dlcpacks:\16challenger\</item>
    		<Item>dlcpacks:\zmissile\</Item>
    		<Item>dlcpacks:\dov\</Item>
    		<Item>dlcpacks:\satoca\</Item>
    		<Item>dlcpacks:\gto2\</Item>
    		Adding a new line in here is usually easiest
    	</Paths>
    </SMandatoryPacksData>

That's the basics coverered I think :thinking: but if you find any other common 'dlclist.xml' issues I've forgotten to mention, give me a shout & I'll add them :thumbsup:

• Great article. Very well explained. Thanks for the share. Just what I needed, worked a treat, thank you! mcdvoice

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.