Popcycle mystery

• Hi,

Is there really a way to edit and increase the ped density because it doesnt seem to change anything, I jump from 20 to 1000 and the density seem to be the same; or I remember in GTA 4 that was obvious, it was working good.

Thanks.

• @yeahmantiptap I think by editing the gameconfig.xml, we can increase ped and traffic density.

• @yeahmantiptap I'm sure there are a few mods on here to cater for your needs. But the gameconfig.xml is what you want to edit. Not sure exactly what needs changing though

• Thanks for the answer guys, editing the traffic density in the gameconfig.xml work but increasing A LOT the ped density doesnt seem to do anything tho.

• @yeahmantiptap The thing about the values in the gameconfig, is they are percentages (as far as I remember). So the <MaxTotalPeds value="200"/> means that it is 200% of whatever is specified in the popcycle.dat file... I think.

So in the popular gameconfig on here, we have these values for the x2.5 Ped density.:

<AmbientPedsMultiplier_Base value="175"/>
    <AmbientPedsMultiplier value="250"/>
    <PedsForVehicles_Base value="75"/>

But that isn't changing the amounts to 175, 250 and 75, it's changing the percentages to 175%, 250% and 75%. And as far as I understand, it's changing the percentages of the values I will show below.

In the popcycle.dat file, there are more values that I believe controls the actual amounts of Peds and Vehicles.

For example: Vespucci Pier

alt text

Those values only apply to that timeslot, which is midnight. As you change timeslots, those values change as well.

I never got round to actually changing those values but that's the information I managed to put together talking to other people doing some changes to density.

• @LeeC2202 What is that tool?
    Edit: Stupid question. I can read it's name, where can I download it? From the main site?

• @Akila_Reigns I never released it... many of the things I create never see the public light of day. It all depends on my mental state when I've finished them and that got finished when I was in a bad place. Tools require a lot of support and I just couldn't be bothered dealing with it at the time.

• @LeeC2202 Sure man, you do what you think is the best. I don't bother about the ped population anyway.. 😂

• @LeeC2202

Oh ok so if I understand, we need to change the value in the popcycle first before the gameconfig ? but even without changing the value in the popcycle, increasing the % for the peds in the gameconfig shoud have work or like in the popcycle it doesnt change anything. #Scenario is the amount of scenario I think, like: ped smoking, ped standing etc etc, so like for GTA 4 increasing the value for #Peds should increase the peds density but that doesn't do anything; for these values: Vespucci_Pier_Beac 40 Vespucci_Street_General BEACH_FAT I am thinking the same of you.

Too bad you didnt release you tool; it looks good !

anyway thanks for the information !

• @yeahmantiptap As far as I can see, the gameconfig only changes those three values that I listed, so I would have thought those would be all that is needed. I know the people I spoke to said it was an extremely frustrating experience trying to change densities... maybe that's why these gameconfigs are so popular. :)

I think it really is a painful trial and error process. I made that tool with the intention of making changes but got put off by other people... it sounded more trouble than it was worth. I would be surprised though if the popcycle values had no effect at all... but you never know.

• @LeeC2202 Okay, from what I have tried with these files, I cant see a difference with the ped density; gameconfig and popcycle, the traffic density is obvious if you touch the values tho so its ok but for the ped, I cant find the solution. I remember in GTA 4, changing just a little bit the ped values was so obvious and, really enough to enjoy a true living city. I even change the ped values in the gameconfig from something like 200 to 10 000 and I cant see a god damn difference.

• @yeahmantiptap I know this might seem like a backward way of doing things but have you tried setting them all really low instead of really high? If setting them lower makes a difference, then you know that setting them high is being stopped by some other factor.

A bit obscure I know but it will let you know whether the values you are changing are having any effect at all.

• @LeeC2202

I didn't try that, I have thought to do so but I forgot and I let it go because the popcycle.dat made me crazy. Im going to try now.

• @LeeC2202

Jesus fucking christ, I set all these values to 0 and what I get was a ghost town, so decrease the value work but increase doesnt work ? so something blocked this.

alt text

• @yeahmantiptap See, to me, there are two values that jump out as being the controlling factors. MaxTotalPeds_Base which is set at 75% and MaxTotalPeds at 200%.

Now this is just a total guess, but I would think that the Base value controls how many Peds can be spawned by the game in that specific zone. MaxTotalPeds probably allows for Peds to walk/drive into a zone from a surrounding area.

I think my next move would be to set the MaxTotals back to default, set the Ambient values back to default and see what kind of peds you get back. Then try changing the popcycle values for #Peds in a specifc zone/time and see what effect that has... again, possibly down to zero first.

I suspect this is going to be a complete pain in the backside to test as you've got to restart the game to let the changes work. You could also do with finding a nice small zone that has good visibility so it's easy to see how many peds are really in it. Maybe the Pier is a good place?

• @LeeC2202

Ok, is this the right location in popcycle VESPUCCI_PIER or DEL_PERRO_PROM ? Im trying anyway, also I noticed that there is also a NET_VESPUCCI_PIER with different values.

• @yeahmantiptap To be honest, I'm not quite sure... my thoughts would be for VESPUCCI_PIER but if you look at a neighbourhood map of GTAV, that pier is in Del Perro Beach, so a bit confusing. I've always thought of the promenade as the road that runs along the beach, where the mask shop is etc... but you never know which R* have chosen. I would think either would be a good choice but personally I would go for VESPUCCI_PIER.

I think the NET_ ones are for the multiplayer/online version of the game.

• @LeeC2202

I tried VESPUCCI_PIER and no change, so I picked Del_Perro_Beach and this is what I've changed:

alt text

from 12pm to 2pm I put 50 peds and I checked in-game and I wasnt sure so I changed again the values to 0 and there was still some peds on the beach so I dont know if I did something wrong but changing these values doesnt change anything, my gameconfig is vanilla.

Changing the density to 0 in the gameconfig work, for increase too but I think there is a limit for the ped density.

• @yeahmantiptap It's definitely VESPUCCI_PIER

I changed #Peds and #Scenario to 0 for the whole day and this is what I got. There is also VESPUCCI_BEACH_BEACH as well though, which could be the area around the pier, then you've got peds leaking in from surrounding zones, like VESPUCCI_BEACH_PROM

alt text

• @LeeC2202

Wow yeah it work, I just tried and you were right about the scenarios I just tested and let the peds values to 0 with the default scenarios value and there was still some peds. So yeah #scenarios has something to do with the ped density. Now lets go for increase.

I also found that map, it can help for the locations:

alt text

• @yeahmantiptap Ambient peds (#Peds) are the ones that just wander around. Scenario peds (#Scenario) are the ones chatting, using their phone etc... as far as I know.

• @LeeC2202

I guess it works ?

alt text

alt text

alt text

• @yeahmantiptap I don't have time to try anything more on this right now, it's 2am here in the UK plus I have got three other projects on the go so I have to split my time up. I will check back tomorrow to see if you have got any further.

• @LeeC2202

Alright man, see you later.

• Ok so here is what I have tried that night, I picked up downtown vinewood and I put the #Peds/#Scenario to 0, then I increase the #Peds to 20 and that was ok, it was working; so after that I take look at the default values wich is 30 for downtown vinewood, so I increase to 35 and then I checked in-game; ok Im not sure if I see a difference but anyway, I keep increasing a bit to 40 then 50 then; then 100 but I cant see a god damn difference ! So what I think is, it is possible to decrease and increase the peds density, but you cant increase more than the default values put by Rockstar, there is a sort of limit, I don't know.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.