sound mod issue, not with installing, trying to create a new sound mod

• So, as an audio engineer and gamer who's recently gotten into thee joys of Open IV I've decided to try my hand at doing an audio conversion of everything in the game. Yes, I'm aware of the way the game engine works, very weird of rockstar to do things this way, certainly not the way I would've done things. That's not the point. The problem I and another friend of mine are having is that when we import our new OAC files in the audio of what ever is in the AWC doesn't play in game. Example, say we replace the sounds of the copter doors in resident, for both of us as soon as you go in game and get in or out of a copter you don't hear the door, even though the sounds are in the awc according to the Open IV audio player. We're modifying the original files in our audio editing software. Could that be the problem, because I've had no issues doing the same process on sound mods from here, and I'm absolutely stumped.

• @techmaster20
    Correct Format:
    Make sure your replacement '.wav' files are 16-bit PCM mono.

Audacity is free & does it well (batch convert is pretty quick etc).
    'File' tab > 'Export' > 'Export as WAV/Export Multiple...' etc & select 'WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM' in the 'Save as type' dropdown before hitting '[Save]' & then '[OK]'

Everything I have converted using that has worked 100%. Try it out & see if your oac '.wav' format is the issue anyway :thumbsup:

• @a63nt-5m1th No Luck. I know for a fact that my editor saves at 16 bit 44 1, and I even resaved them with audacity. I don't think it's the audio that's causing the problem.

• @techmaster20
    What is/are the name/s of the audio file/s for the helicopter door (or any other sound that doesn't work for you that I can easily test) & what '.awc' are they in etc? I'll see if I get the same results :thumbsup:
    In answer to part of your previous question, I've edited vanilla sounds (mostly to reduce volume) & they have all played fine in game.
    Also, you might try exporting the vanilla sounds to openformats '.oac' & then immediately reimporting them unedited, to see if there is something funky going on with the OpenIV import etc.

• Here's my resident.rpf. it's the lugsury sport door sound that's being bad, but this same issue has happened on litterally anything I mod, also the same for my friend. We might be doing something wrong. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgwjcrfqyvcl39j/RESIDENT.rpf?dl=1

• @techmaster20
    I'll check it out :thumbsup:
    What helicopter are you testing?
    'SPORTS_LUX_OPEN' & 'SPORTS_LUX_CLOSE/2' yeah?

• @techmaster20
    Try the 'SPORTS_LUX_OPEN' & 'SPORTS_LUX_CLOSE'/'SPORTS_LUX_CLOSE_2' '.wav' files in this .zip.
    They are edited versions of your audio & work in my game :thumbsup:

What I did was:

• Open up the vanilla file in Audacity & then open your file next to it.
    • Cut any silence off the start of any of your files
    • Use the yellow vertical line that appears & marks the end of a file when you hover over that area with the Selection Tool (F1) active, to then copy the exact vanilla file length/time out of your file.
    • Paste your audio over the original vanilla file
    • Remove your audio clip & then save as .wav 16bit PCM

Audacity Heli Door

Best guess, it's either the files have to be the exact same length/time as vanilla or there is a kb/s or file size cap that your files are going over. Those were the only three differences I could see with the files.
    Probably the length/time I reckon.

• @a63nt-5m1th thanks, I'll try it. I try to avoid audacity as I'm blind and it doesn't play nice with my screen reading software despite their attempts to rectify it. Probably time code errors. Thanks.

• @techmaster20 said in sound mod issue, not with installing, trying to create a new sound mod:

Probably time code errors

Yeah, time code errors I reckon.
    Let me know how you get on anyway, especially if you find a solution, as I'm always looking to confirm & update my knowledge base with evidence based info. Thanks :thumbsup:

• is there anyone knows how to play an external audio file from the game..
    i want to add my custom sound for my script
    like dispatch call out sound from a fire dept..
    like that kind of things..
    please help

• @hideo - I think you can just extract sound files using OpenIV...? Though I haven't used it in a while...

• @TheMurderousCricket ive tried it and call the function on script but nothing happened...gta only reads its own audio file..only works when replacing audio file i guess but not in adding a custom sound without replacing anything..anyway thanks for the responce :)

• @a63nt-5m1th So I went and tried it again, and I'm still getting the same issue! I don't know what is causing it, because I went and trimmed all the silence this time, and am absolutely confused.

• @a63nt-5m1th I don't know how you're doing it. I'm sure everything's correct as far as audio but damn it nothing's working. This is confusing me.

• @techmaster20
    Both files (vanilla & yours) were the exact same length/duration, yeah?
    Try opening up the original sound file in the software you are using & then paste your sound data into it (cutting any excess so as to maintain exact same duration).

That's basically what I did (to remove as many variables as possible).

I'd reckon file size, bitrate, duration or a combination of them is the issue, but could easily be something else I've missed. Just have to rule each of them (& any other ideas) out one at a time.
    What software are you using to edit the files by the way?

Also, after confirming you hear the sounds I linked to in previous post, throw them into your audio editing suite & then, without editing them, export them as normal & see if they work? Might be diagnostically informative.

• @a63nt-5m1th I'm using GoldWave. I open the files that I've extracted from open IV, delete the sound from the audio files im gold wave, then replace the sound data with somethig else of my own design, and still am not getting anywhere. I wonder if I create new files with the same names and replace would it work.

• @a63nt-5m1th I just tried in sound forge and still no luck.

• @a63nt-5m1th Just tried what I usually would do using your files in the editor and it worked... What the hell?

• @a63nt-5m1th Never mind, it was time issues. Alright, getting back to work now.

• @a63nt-5m1th well, my mod's going smooth. Almost done with vehicle doors, although do to rockstar's stupid audio methods my sound design is starting to remind me of the doors from GTA 4.

• @techmaster20
    GTA V certainly has a lot of unessessary restrictions in it. They lacked a lot of forethough when designing/coding the games engine, probably created countless problems for themselves by doing so.
    You'll know yourself, get it right from the start & you define what the game can do, it should never define what you can do or you restrict creativity at later stages.

• @hideo - I'm sure you can do it, because now I remember (and found the file) that I have extracted a music tune from GTA and convert it to an "end-user" format like .wav or .mp3.

Oh wait... looks like you want to add an extra sound to the pool of existing ones? Right?

[Sorry for hijack-replying guys. Do not ban.] ;)

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.