R$ Launcher Issues

• (Sigh) For the life of me can someone….anyone please tell me if there is a better way to fix the age old problem with R$ shitty Launcher. As of two days ago (of which there may have been a R$ Launcher update?) I can’t even start the game……

Just for clarity I have tried
    -making R$ Launcher Administrative priveledges
    -Re-installed the Launcher
    -Renamed the Social Club folder
    -delete the SC folder
    -Start GTA V from Steam (has never worked since I’ve installed the game)
    -re-install the game

What USED to happen was I start the R$L “Play from Steam” it would pop up that Steam is doing some shit (essentially thinking) take some ~15 secs then start it’s boot process (R$ splash screens etc.)

Then after the last re-install (#4 ~ 2 mos ago) the R$L would launch then Steam then go to the ReDirector Launcher (to which I would then End Task on the active GTA V in Task Manager) and then re-press “Play from Steam” again and it would start

NOW I get no Steam pop up despite there being the usual collection of steam parts running in TM, it says GTA is one of the active tasks in TM but nothing else happens. I could spend all night ending the GTA V task then pressing “Play from Steam” again and still nothing.
    I am sick of this BS. I have NEVER played GTA online. NEVER. This #*)#% Launcher is the curse that we must all bear but it’s soooo stupid how a game from 2013 has all this just to start the goddamn process. I have reached out before to R$ bs “tech support” about the start process 2 mos ago to which they spent a WEEK asking me about computer specs and various unrelated questions to which my specific directed question at the time to them was WHAT DOES THE GTA V re-director launcher REALLY DO (at that time it was a continual loop of R$L then RDL then error and no start). The never answered that……

In any case can someone, anyone please let me know if there is some current hack or trick in 2020 just to play the #*#)@Q% game…..
    Thanks in advance

• If you somehow managed to save the previous game and launcher versions, you may try clearing all C* related folders and crap and do the following:

1. Paste the entire backup folder into Rockstar Games folder on your drive (or any other folder you have used).
    2. Run the launcher. A pre-launcher will activate first. Don't turn the Internet on just yet.
    3. When the launcher appears, turn the Internet on.
    4. The launcher should start to download the missing updates. Wait for a few seconds, and cancel.
    5. Turn the Internet off, and start the launcher again.
    6. Choose "play offline". The game should run.

I have never updated my game ever since Arena Wars using the above trick. And yes, this is a legal copy if anyone has any doubts.

• So

I guess the issue is I don't have an older Launcher (I would have never thought to keep one....until now) and IDK if there is a place to get one.

Secondly, I can disable my Internet connection but the Launcher/Game detects that there is no connection and won't start anyway. I have never been able to "play offline" in GTA V, unlike ALL the other games on Steam I have in my library. Naturally R$ and their shit Launcher won't allow it

So @TheMurderousCricket if you can upload your old Launcher then great and I can try your hack otherwise I'm open for other recs.

IDK if folks use any of the Launchers on the site (my guess is not many?) and looking at this one (https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/gta-v-launcher#comments_tab) it seems that there is an issue with using mods (the whole reason why I would play....why anyone would play SP)

So again if there is anyone out there....I am open to recs.....

• @Zeta09 said in R$ Launcher Issues:

So @TheMurderousCricket if you can upload your old Launcher then great and I can try your hack otherwise I'm open for other recs.

I can't do that. Sorry man.

I'm no expert in the meanders of the new "Cockstar Games Launcher", so I'm afraid I can't help you more (though I would like to).

I'm full of fear actually just thinking of the day I'll be in need of a new, machine and system...! :nauseated_face: For now, I can lock myself out in the Arena Wars version bliss. :relieved:

• So.

As these things go and for @#$^ sake because it's R$ for the first time EVER (and I mean it)
    I was able to get into the game through Steam. I'm sorry what did you say? You didn't even log into your Social Club acct? How is that humanly possible you ask?

I don't effin know. I have had this game for 6 mos. and not ONCE have I been able to go through Steam. The usual procedure for me has been:
    -Login through R$ Launcher
    -Go through the stupid effin captcha screens.
    -Press play through Steam
    -Wait for 30-45 secs for Steam and R$ to circle jerk around each other.
    -Finally get to the R$ Splash screens

I mean it's a miracle from Christ that I'm able to get into the game a bit faster than the P$4 loading process so there's that. But the "update" apparently now allows me to just go through Steam but no where is this stated or mentioned or able to be deducted from R$ support. So quite by trial and error I was able to find out that I now can just go through Steam. Press play GTA V, watch it launch R$ Launcher then have the R$ Launcher processing screen (black screen with the glowing R pulse) go through it's matters for ~25 secs then go right into the in-game R$ splash screen.

Maybe this is a regular Tues for most of you but again I have never been able to do this for my game and Setup. So I guess this is my intro to gaming in 2020
    In any case I suppose the one thing I learned is NEVER update the R$ Launcher and another thing is be very very cautious about buying a R$ game.

Thx @TheMurderousCricket for at least trying to help. (Still could've at least sneak put a old Launcher on Mega anonymously or Google drive that bih)

• @Zeta09 how old of a launcher do you need? I have the files for the last 2 updates, probably more if you google hard enough

MODERATOR BREAK (meimeiriver): Distributing, or linking to, original game files, is strictly verboten here. Links removed.

Thx @TheMurderousCricket for at least trying to help. (Still could've at least sneak put a old Launcher on Mega anonymously or Google drive that bih)

I understand your disappointment with the Launcher, but the answer is still no. ;) See, I lead a decently satisfying life and don't want to have it destroyed by some bitch-ass Fake2 lawyer should somebody squeal on me.

Rest assured, I don't want to be banned from this site either...

R$ shitty Launcher

Not an accurate description. Most of the time it's a problem stemming from the user's pc, not Rockstar's Launcher.

@Zeta09 said in R$ Launcher Issues:

Yeah, we're NOT doing that here. We don't make request for original game files here, nor offer them, directly or indirectly. If you want older files, make a backup.

• I hope that the Moderators forgive the people trying to help me and accept my apologies as I was hardly trying to get anyone in trouble here.

Considering my post was very tongue-in-cheek I was trying to be as humorous as possible during my frustration. @InfiniteQuestion & @TheMurderousCricket were only trying to help so again I apologize to them and for them for any trouble

As for my issue @IreBurn IDK what ur on but there isn't a game that I own that requires a effin Launcher to sign in to an online server to play a single player campaign Other GTA forums & Reddit are crowded with people that despise the Launcher and I'm proud to be one of them.

• Actually you are both right - problems with running the game or even the launcher might be rooted in one's configuration...

...and at the same time, "C* Games Launcher" is a piece of a stinking pile of bloatware that is useless from a purely IT point of view.

Soon, I guess, Lemmings 2 (by DMA Design, Rockstar's predecessor) will also be accessible only through the launcher... :rolling_eyes:

• @Zeta09 Of course there isn't. We don't own the games that we play. We only have a license to play them. Kinda a rather rude response, with your statement about not knowing what I'm on. Offensive, but that's going off topic.
    @TheMurderousCricket Nah, that description of the launcher is also inaccurate. Let's not start an argument though.

As for my issue @IreBurn IDK what ur on but there isn't a game that I own that requires a effin Launcher to sign in to an online server to play a single player campaign Other GTA forums & Reddit are crowded with people that despise the Launcher and I'm proud to be one of them.

It behooves us to make distinction between the Rock* Launcher doing an online check, and actually going online to play, well, GTA V:Online. The latter is never required, of course, as you can simply choose 'Story Mode'. The former, however, is a must. The Launcher will force a Social Club login (sooner or later), and this can't be bypassed.

Last problem I had with Launcher, is that it insisted I play with a newer version of SC. I was able to postpone the update a bit (UAC is your friend), but eventually it will require a newer version, and no longer starts the game without it. Newer SC broke my old game, though (nothing had changed, except new SC and Launcher). So, I had to upgrade my entire game, with all the ensuing breakage that followed as a result (like Dilapidated's gameconfig no longer working, for one). All is well again, now, though.

Tl;dr: Rock* Launcher is passive-aggressive piece of fei-oo, and should never have existed, but is something we will likely have to live with for a long time to come.

• There ARE programs out there that bypass all launchers and social clubs online requirements. It's is not mandatory to go online to play offline. I never get launcher had stopped working issues, the game starts way faster in a predictable amount of time, I feel like the stutters and fps has also decreased. I'm never letting this game connect to the internet again, and there are rumors of a new update soon.

@InfiniteQuestion said in R$ Launcher Issues:

There ARE programs out there that bypass all launchers and social clubs online requirements. It's is not mandatory to go online to play offline. I never get launcher had stopped working issues, the game starts way faster in a predictable amount of time, I feel like the stutters and fps has also decreased. I'm never letting this game connect to the internet again, and there are rumors of a new update soon.

Why, if those tools are legal, I'd love to hear about it (otherwise NOT). The Launcher bypass mod on 5mods is legal, btw. But avoiding a SC login, I never heard of that.

• @meimeiriver How is one launcher by pass legal, but another would not be legal? Also define what would be legal versus not legal in this case? One by passes the rockstar launcher, intro video, and legal info. If rockstar cared, don't think they would approve of that. All this would do is just start the game directly.

If you know what to type in, it's literally Google result number one.

@InfiniteQuestion said in R$ Launcher Issues:

@meimeiriver How is one launcher by pass legal, but another would not be legal? Also define what would be legal versus not legal in this case? One by passes the rockstar launcher, intro video, and legal info. If rockstar cared, don't think they would approve of that. All this would do is just start the game directly.

Social Club calls are made from within the gta5. exe file. So, hacks to the gta5.exe would be tantamount to a crack. Not starting up a file, however, like the Launcher, is not illegal per se (even though Rock* may not like it). The Launcher is just a game shell, basically.

• @meimeiriver Ya that makes sense. Not that I'm promoting it, but just curious. Sad we can't have that option. So many games lost to time because of an online requirement.

• Alright!

THIS it the type of robust discussion that I had hoped would originally attempted to spark. Better late than never....

As far as your concerned @IreBurn in the interest of prevent a flame up I apologize to you as well. I'm no 12 y/o so my intent was not to trigger anyone but I still respectfully disagree with the passe' statement that we don't own the games we play. There is some truth to that with some newer titles but there is purchasing power there that we do not have to relinquish as I own as many GOG games as I can as well as many of the newer games aren't THAT groundbreaking. Games like DOTA, OW, LOL that are strictly online are different from games that promote and are strictly a SP experience(God of War; Witcher 3 etc). @InfiniteQuestion is def hitting this out of the park IMHO since the Launcher IS def bloatware and again as I posted originally I have NEVER played GTA Online on my PC nor do I care to. And again this a game from 2013 for christ sakes so what are they protecting? There are THOUSANDS of mods on this damn website that R$ has to know about that has been very active still. I mean I haven't even bought GTA until this year so this has been eye opening if you will. I own a heavily modded Skyrim, a fairly modded WarHammer 2 and planning on getting Sekiro and have not seen anything close to having to do an online check to play SP.... But I digress.....

@meimeiriver the bypass of Social Club is what I would be clamoring for and as you have said cannot be bypassed. Most games still just allow you to boot up and go. IF this was required for GTA Online then I could understand but if I want to play Story Mode only then I should be able to play it and disconnect my internet entirely and again to even get into story mode that is impossible and thus the crux of my issue....

• Eh. ~shrugs~

@meimeiriver the bypass of Social Club is what I would be clamoring for and as you have said cannot be bypassed. Most games still just allow you to boot up and go. IF this was required for GTA Online then I could understand but if I want to play Story Mode only then I should be able to play it and disconnect my internet entirely and again to even get into story mode that is impossible and thus the crux of my issue....

Online checks are the bane of the gaming industry. The problem with SC is more insidious, though. My working game install (not the latest) would suddenly crash when a new SC was installed. That's insane. So, I restored an older version of SC, and my older game was working again. So far, so good. Except, after 2 weeks or so, the dreaded Launcher would no longer start the game, insisting I install the latest SC. So, my game would crash again, basically forcing me to upgrade my game.

And that is where I draw the line, really. SC is really, purposely, committing an act of sabotage, on a game version of mine that was running perfectly smoothly. And forcing you to play the latest version always exposes you to risk: will there be a new SHV? A new Menyoo? A new Simple Trainer? And, last but not least, a new stable gameconfig.

See, I don't mind an occasional online check; but I reserve the right to play my game, offline, at any version that works for me. Of course, we have no real rights; but what about just stopping this hopelessly passive-agressive BS, Rockstar!? It's not just Rockstar, though. STEAM itself has already long since removed the option to no longer update a game. Consumer rights are all but extinct nowadays.

EDIT: Setting Topic to 'Resolved', btw; Rock* Launcher issues are simply a permanent issue, so not ever potentially going to be 'solved'. :)

• @meimeiriver said in R$ Launcher Issues:

EDIT: Setting Topic to 'Resolved', btw; Rock* Launcher issues are simply a permanent issue, so not ever potentially going to be 'solved'.

Truth.

• @meimeiriver said in R$ Launcher Issues:

See, I don't mind an occasional online check; but I reserve the right to play my game, offline, at any version that works for me. Of course, we have no real rights; but what about just stopping this hopelessly passive-agressive BS, Rockstar!?

Yep. My sentiments exactly. I hear/agree with every sentence in your last post @meimeiriver. Sure it's "solved" but again I am going to hold out as much as possible and not succumb to the insidious business practices that RS, Bethesda, Bungie and the ever popular EA seem to all act like their forced to enact. Although I have no interest in RDR2 I've heard plenty of complaints about the launcher. Just cuz it's "in the game" doesn't mean I have to buy it and it sure as hell doesn't mean that those are the only options I have to support a Developer that continues to sabatoge it's own gaming community and potential future customers....

Thanks for the help.....and the discussion all

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.