LOD issues with TREES and BUSHES (IMAGES + VIDEO)

• Hi folks,

I hope this message finds you well.

There is a situation that I really would like to solve and it´s related with LODs on TREES and BUSHES (mainly in cases where I use no FOGs in my timecycles, because since the "weather" is more clean, such LODs issues are more visible).

IMAGE 1 is what I see when I am far for the object. IMAGE 2 is what I see when I am near it.

IMAGE 1
    IMAGE 2

For sure the rational behind this context is to avoid computer extra resources if I am so so far and almost cannot see the object. But in many (MANNNYYY) cases i am not so far and even so I still seeing IMAGE 1 instead of IMAGE 2... This situation happens with a lot of TREES and BUSHES.

See for example the video below which also demonstrates this situation (IMAGE 1 switching to IMAGE 2) - pay attention in the FAR trees.

I already edited SETTINGs LodScale parameters (changing to 5.000000) ...

For the TREE (Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b) mentioned in the images 1 & 2 above, I also checked the v_bush.ytyp file and I found this parameters:

<Item type="CBaseArchetypeDef">
    <lodDist value="299.00000000"/>
    <flags value="536936448"/>
    <specialAttribute value="31"/>
    <bbMin x="-11.84027000" y="-9.59345800" z="-2.43020000"/>
    <bbMax x="20.26517000" y="13.25681000" z="20.64618000"/>
    <bsCentre x="4.21245400" y="1.83167800" z="9.10799000"/>
    <bsRadius value="22.83316000"/>
    <hdTextureDist value="30.00000000"/>
    <name>Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b</name>
    <textureDictionary>prop_bush_lrg_04</textureDictionary>
    <clipDictionary/>
    <drawableDictionary/>
    <physicsDictionary>v_bush</physicsDictionary>
    <assetType>ASSET_TYPE_DRAWABLE</assetType>
    <assetName>Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b</assetName>
    <extensions>
    <Item type="CExtensionDefParticleEffect">
    <name>Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b</name>
    <offsetPosition x="7.95349100" y="-0.60224870" z="6.40035200"/>
    <offsetRotation x="0.00000000" y="0.00000000" z="0.00000000" w="1.00000000"/>
    <fxName>amb_falling_leaves_m</fxName>
    <fxType value="0"/>
    <boneTag value="0"/>
    <scale value="1.00000000"/>
    <probability value="40"/>
    <flags value="0"/>
    <color value="0xFFFFFFFF"/>
    </Item>
    </extensions>
    </Item>

Even changing lodDist and hdTextureDist values didn´t fixed the issue.

Just to clarify, the IMAGE1 and IMAGE2 was captured in the VANILLA GAME (without any MOD) and in the VIDEO there are a lot of MODs (NVE etc.) ... but this situation happens with or without such MODS.

I really appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.

Best regards,

JR

• @jrchaves said in LOD issues with TREES and BUSHES (IMAGES + VIDEO):

I already edited SETTINGs LodScale parameters (changing to 5.000000)

settings.xml:

Did you try:

<LodScale value="5.00000" /> <!-- I just left this at 1.00000 in the pictures below -->

OR

<MaxLodScale value="5.00000" />  <!-- if not edited already, this is the one you want to edit -->

With '<MaxLodScale value' set to '5.000000' it should look like this (ie no LOD models obviously visible in this area):

LOD

Zoomed In:

LOD Zoomed

Transition Flickering:
    Not sure exactly why your LOD transitions are flickering before they change, but if you edited the 'BBMin' or 'BBMax' values in that 'v_bush.ytyp', I would set them back to vanilla (setting BBMin/Max too small (smaller than the model) can cause flickering/disappearing models).
    A corrupted or broken '.ydr' can also cause funky LOD transitions. I'd probably remove any map mods & also any scripts (rename 'scripts' folder etc) while you diagnose this.

Let me know how you get on with '<MaxLodScale value=5.000000' anyway (hopefully, that fixes everything :fingers_crossed: ).
    If not, let me know anything you discover & we'll investigate further. :thumbsup:

• Hi friend and thank you for analysing this matter and help me with this "old" issue.

Unfortunately I´ve already tried change the MaxLoadScale and other parameters inside SETTINGS.XML (including LodScale, PedLodBias and VehicleLodBias).

I changed the MaxLodScale to 5.00000 and, as you can see in the video I just uploaded, there a lot of issues with trees and bushes switching from LOD to the REAL props. It´s really annoying and I always got frustrated about this. I love the game and everything but this situation doesn´t allow me to take a whole :100: game experience :(

Here is my full SETTINGS.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Settings>
      <version value="27" />
      <configSource>SMC_AUTO</configSource>
      <graphics>
        <Tessellation value="3" />
        <LodScale value="1.000000" />
        <PedLodBias value="1.000000" />
        <VehicleLodBias value="1.000000" />
        <ShadowQuality value="3" />
        <ReflectionQuality value="3" />
        <ReflectionMSAA value="8" />
        <SSAO value="2" />
        <AnisotropicFiltering value="16" />
        <MSAA value="8" />
        <MSAAFragments value="0" />
        <MSAAQuality value="0" />
        <SamplingMode value="0" />
        <TextureQuality value="2" />
        <ParticleQuality value="2" />
        <WaterQuality value="2" />
        <GrassQuality value="3" />
        <ShaderQuality value="2" />
        <Shadow_SoftShadows value="3" />
        <UltraShadows_Enabled value="true" />
        <Shadow_ParticleShadows value="true" />
        <Shadow_Distance value="1.700000" />
        <Shadow_LongShadows value="true" />
        <Shadow_SplitZStart value="0.930000" />
        <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.890000" />
        <Shadow_aircraftExpWeight value="0.990000" />
        <Shadow_DisableScreenSizeCheck value="false" />
        <Reflection_MipBlur value="true" />
        <FXAA_Enabled value="false" />
        <TXAA_Enabled value="false" />
        <Lighting_FogVolumes value="true" />
        <Shader_SSA value="true" />
        <DX_Version value="2" />
        <CityDensity value="1.000000" />
        <PedVarietyMultiplier value="2.000000" />
        <VehicleVarietyMultiplier value="2.000000" />
        <PostFX value="3" />
        <DoF value="true" />
        <HdStreamingInFlight value="true" />
        <MaxLodScale value="5.000000" />
        <MotionBlurStrength value="0.000000" />
      </graphics>
      <system>
        <numBytesPerReplayBlock value="9000000" />
        <numReplayBlocks value="36" />
        <maxSizeOfStreamingReplay value="1024" />
        <maxFileStoreSize value="65536" />
      </system>
      <audio>
        <Audio3d value="false" />
      </audio>
      <video>
        <AdapterIndex value="0" />
        <OutputIndex value="0" />
        <ScreenWidth value="2560" />
        <ScreenHeight value="1440" />
        <RefreshRate value="59" />
        <Windowed value="0" />
        <VSync value="0" />
        <Stereo value="0" />
        <Convergence value="0.100000" />
        <Separation value="1.000000" />
        <PauseOnFocusLoss value="1" />
        <AspectRatio value="0" />
      </video>
      <VideoCardDescription>NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER</VideoCardDescription>
    </Settings>

Thank you for your support dude!

• @jrchaves
    Yeah, defo something up with your setup :thinking:

Have you tried setting 'GTA5.exe' to 'High' CPU priority to give the game as much resources as possible? It can help a lot with texture streaming issues, so you never know, might work:

• Download Prio
    • Install it
    • Start GTA V & then Alt+Tab out
    • Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
    • Go to the 'Details' tab
    • Find GTA5.exe & right-click it
    • 'Set priority' > 'High' (just High, Realtime won't help)

If that makes no difference (leave it on 'High', it'll help you out sooner or later), try uninstalling your Nvidia Drivers in Safe Mode using DDU & then reinstall the latest one normally.
    You'd be surprised what issues can stick through multiple normal driver installs.
    A DDU reinstall will give you a guaranteed fresh start in perfect working order :thumbsup:

Note:
    If you backup the files in:

ProgramData > NVIDIA Corporation > Drs

you can save any nvidia driver games profiles you may have created previously.
    Test the game before re-applying those profiles though, just to rule them out.

Talking about nvidia game profiles, do you have Grand Theft Auto 5 set to:

• 'Power Management Mode = Prefer Maximum Performance'?
    • MFAA = ON?
    • Texture Filtering Quality = High Performance?

They will all help your game run better with no dicernable drop in visual quality, so just thought I'd mention them. :thumbsup:

Maybe also try running sfc /scannow & a CHKDSK on your OS & game drive (if different)

Questions:

• Any overclocking of CPU/RAM/GPU?

• What are your PC specs (CPU/RAM/HDD or SSD?) & what's your framerate like with that 'settings.xml'?

• Do you get the same issue if you turn your graphics settings down to the lowest settings? You can leave your resolution the same, just put everything else down.

• Hows your VRAM ingame? Anywhere near or over the limit? That could cause a limiting of resources similar to what you are experiencing.

• Have you reinstalled GTA5 since having this issue? If you do, install the game to a new folder structure, not the same place as before (just rename one folder slightly in the folder structure or something, anything different will do).

• Hi a63nt-5m1th ...

Thank you again for all instructions. I will make a backup of several files here (just in case) and I will replicate all steps mentioned by you!

After that, I will let you know the result.

Best regards,

JR

@a63nt-5m1th sorry to butt in, I've seen this suggestion before, yet on my game, when I set <MaxLodScale value' set to '5.000000 I simply crash at the loading circles right around where it starts loading rpf's and scripts normally
    I can however set <LodScale value' set to '5.000000 without it having an effect?

• @ReNNie said in LOD issues with TREES and BUSHES (IMAGES + VIDEO):

I can however set <LodScale value' set to '5.000000 without it having an effect?

Yeah, I think that's right, 1.0000 is the max for that, anything higher = 1.0000, so has no effect.

Not sure why yours is crashing tho, it shouldn't be :thinking:

I've gone as high as:

<MaxLodScale value="100.0000" /> <!-- that's way past what's nessessary obvs (somewhere between 10 & 100 framerate stays the same) -->

with no ill effect (apart from ~16fps @4K)

• @a63nt-5m1th

Again, I appreciate your comments.

I have proceeded with all structions, step-by-step and unfortunately the error persists... :(

In regards to your questions:

1. No
    2. I9-9000KF - RTX 2060 SUPER - 16 gb RAM - 1Tera SSD
    3. Yes. I already tried several settings and the error remains the same
    4. How can I check it?
    5. See answer below.

I decide to make a fresh Windows installation and then i will reinstall GTA V from the Scratch. As soon as I conclude it I will let you know.

Best regards,

JR

• Hi a63nt-5m1th,

No way man ... lol.

Almost didn´t sleep trying to fix and it has not worked.
    I am almost giving up this situation... already consumed a lot of time.

Take a look on how my Vanilla game is really odd with this new video (after a fresh Windows + GTA + NVIDIA installation) - check the far trees (in the mountains) - Trevor is feed up of me (lol):

For this video I changed a little bit the parameters, but MaxLoadScale remains 5.000000 ...

<Settings>
      <version value="27" />
      <graphics>
        <ReflectionQuality value="2" />
        <ReflectionMSAA value="4" />
        <SSAO value="2" />
        <AnisotropicFiltering value="16" />
        <MSAA value="8" />
        <ParticleQuality value="1" />
        <GrassQuality value="2" />
        <Shadow_SoftShadows value="1" />
        <Shadow_ParticleShadows value="true" />
        <Shadow_Distance value="2.000000" />
        <Shadow_SplitZStart value="0.930000" />
        <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.890000" />
        <Shadow_aircraftExpWeight value="0.990000" />
        <Lighting_FogVolumes value="true" />
        <DX_Version value="2" />
        <PedVarietyMultiplier value="2.000000" />
        <VehicleVarietyMultiplier value="2.000000" />
        <PostFX value="3" />
        <DoF value="true" />
      </graphics>
      <system>
      </system>
      <audio>
      </audio>
      <video>
        <Windowed value="0" />
        <VSync value="0" />
        <Stereo value="0" />
      </video>
    </Settings>

best regards,

JR

• @jrchaves
    You can monitor your GPU usage with GPU-Z, might indicate something. :thumbsup:

That last vid you posted is Rockstar's poorly implemented streaming extents in the '.ymap's for those bushes (happens there in my game as well). Try from the other side & they will transition to HD much further away I think (I never actually checked that, I'm just going by the vanilla x,y,z streaming extent coordinates, but I'm sure that's the case).

Fix (just for those 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' bushes):
    Download & install these two '.ymap.xml's, install them (Ctrl+F3 in OpenIV to find them & overwrite (drag & drop) the ones you find in the highest patchday##ng folder structure) & those bushes in that area should transition further out.
    They will also transition a lot smoother over a bigger distance (from roughly where Franklin is in the first pic to where the bottom of the red box is in that same pic) rather than instantly, which makes any transition far less noticable.

A lot of your percieved lod transition issues will be related to poorly thought out streaming extents, but not all. I've never seen such a prominent shadow line while flying a helicopter, like in your second video. Not sure what's going on there?!

Install those linked 'cs3_08f'' '.ymap's anyway, & let me know if it increases the lod transition distance for the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' bushes in that area? That'll at least give us some diagnostic info :thumbsup:

• Hi mate!

Thank you so much for the explanations. I will have a deep look in the files (as soon as you share). For proeminent trees (depending the region I am playing, i will make the adjustments as I understood you made for 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' .

Based on your considerations, I have to distingue two situations: 1) the poorly streaming extents in the YMAP for the bushes (which I am "glad" - sorry - that it always happen with you, because at least it´s a general error; 2) something odd in happening here that causes this proeminent transition between IMAGE1 and IMAGE2 above. This one happens in the whole map for me.

Don´t you mind if you share your SETTINGS.xml file?

Is it possible (i don´t know how) to share the SETTINGs how your NVIDIA Control Panel is set for GTA V?

best regards,

JR

• @jrchaves
    I've been playing around with the lod hierarchy for all the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' props in the game for a while now (it's some of the ugliest lod implementation I've ever seen in a game, not even trying :slight_frown:).
    Note: Increasing the streaming extents won't fix all your problems. It may even create new ones.

Example:
    Sometimes increasing the lod distance for a group of bushes causes them to all spawn in at the same time suddenly, which is proper immersion breaking. I'm diagnosing that issue at the moment.

If you're planning to fix all the lod issues, prepare for it to take a while. So far, I've made about 4500 manual edits in about 150 ymaps (& that's just the cityhills_01/02/03_metadata areas. Probably talking 10,000>15,000 edits for all '.ymap's lol).
    I've fixed some lods (& they work/look real nice), but others have caused their own problems & some just plain refuse to have their lod increased much, no matter the lod/streaming extent used in the ymap's & the values used in 'settings.xml'.
    Just trying to suss out if there is something else that influences lod distances or whether it's just shodding R* workmanship. Possibly the latter, wouldn't be the first time :rolling_eyes: .

LOD TRANSITION EDITING:

For editing lods you'll need to brush up on lod hierarchy. Codewalker can help there (get it from that Codewalker Discord link as the one on this site is ~2 years old & out of date for a lot of things).

This is the basic process I use in regard to LOD hierarchy:

Example:

• Using Codewalker ('[<<]' > 'Selection' tab > tick 'Mouse select (right-click)' > Mode: Entity > right-click prop > details appear in righthand side info box), find & right-click a 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' you want to edit
    • Use Codewalker to find out what ymap it resides in ('Ymap' (near bottom of list) (Example: 'ch2_03b_critical_2.ymap')
    • Use Codewalker to find the parent ymap of the one it resides in ('Parent' > 'Ymap') (Example: 'ch2_03b.ymap')
    • In OpenIV, search (Ctrl+F3), find & extract them both to '.ymap.xml'
    • Open the ymap with the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04's in it (Example: 'ch2_03b_critical_2.ymap.xml')
    • Edit the '<lodDist value=' for the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04's in it
    • Increase the '<streamingExtentsMin/Max' values if the '<lodDist value=' you choose is larger than the distance from the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' to the edge of the '<streamingExtentsMin/Max' box.
    • Change the parent ymap (Example: 'ch2_03b.ymap.xml') file extension to 'ymap.txt' & open it with TextPad & perform this Replace (F8):

TextPad Replace

Find what: <Item type="CEntityDef">
    Replace with: <Item type="CEntityDef"> \i{0,1,0, }

• That will number the '<parentIndex value' into the parent '.ymap' so you can find the position in the file easily (Note: Rename file extension back to 'ymap.xml' after the TextPad Replace is complete & then open & edit with text editor of choice. Notepad++ etc).

LOD Hierarchy & ParentIndex Example:

'ch2_03b_critical_2.ymap.xml'

<Item type="CEntityDef">
          <archetypeName>Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b</archetypeName>
          <flags value="1572876"/>
          <guid value="3835495955"/>
          <position x="1374.08500000" y="873.58450000" z="106.39120000"/>
          <rotation x="0.00000000" y="0.00000000" z="0.60943110" w="0.79283910"/>
          <scaleXY value="0.92919200"/>
          <scaleZ value="0.92919100"/>
          <parentIndex value="353"/> <!-- <<< this is the parentindex you need to find in the 'ch2_03b.ymap.xml' parent ymap -->
          <lodDist value="601.00000000"/> <!-- primary lod distance, increase this value -->
          <childLodDist value="0.00000000"/>
          <lodLevel>LODTYPES_DEPTH_HD</lodLevel>
          <numChildren value="0"/>
          <priorityLevel>PRI_REQUIRED</priorityLevel>
          <extensions/>
          <ambientOcclusionMultiplier value="255"/>
          <artificialAmbientOcclusion value="1"/>
          <tintValue value="0"/>
        </Item>

ch2_03b.ymap.xml (parent of 'ch2_03b_critical_2.ymap')

<Item type="CEntityDef"> 353 <!-- <<< this (353) is the '<parentindex' value from 'ch2_03b_critical_2.ymap.xml' that TextPad Replace added. Find it by searching for 'CEntityDef"> 353'  -->
          <archetypeName>CH2_03b_props_combo0108_08_LOD</archetypeName>
          <flags value="68681728"/>
          <guid value="1642129666"/>
          <position x="1388.54100000" y="913.76220000" z="107.52300000"/>
          <rotation x="0.00000000" y="0.00000000" z="0.00000000" w="1.00000000"/>
          <scaleXY value="1.00000000"/>
          <scaleZ value="1.00000000"/>
          <parentIndex value="22"/> <!-- This is this parent's parentindex value. Usually in the same file nearer the top. Find it (Search for: 'CEntityDef"> 22') & change it's '<childLodDist value' to 800 (example) to match '<lodDist value=' below -->
          <lodDist value="800.00000000"/> <!-- to keep all lod hierarchy levels you would edit this value to higher than '<childLodDist value' below -->
          <childLodDist value="601.00000000"/> <!-- <<< Needs to be the same value as '<lodDist value=' in 'ch2_03b_critical_2.ymap.xml' -->
          <lodLevel>LODTYPES_DEPTH_LOD</lodLevel>
          <numChildren value="7"/>
          <priorityLevel>PRI_REQUIRED</priorityLevel>
          <extensions/>
          <ambientOcclusionMultiplier value="254"/>
          <artificialAmbientOcclusion value="0"/>
          <tintValue value="0"/>
        </Item>

Note:
    You probably want to check the streamingextents of the parent '.ymap' too.
    Streamingextents further back in the lod hierarchy (parent's parent etc) shouldn't need edited & are usually already pretty huge, taking up most of the map etc.

Edit:
    Once you've finished editing the parent '.ymap' you can remove the numbering (added by the TextPad Replace).

If you use Notepad++ you can perform a Replace (Ctrl+H) to remove all numbering quickly in one go, like this:

Notepad++ parentindex Replace

Find what : CEntityDef"> .*
    Replace with : CEntityDef">

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:

I've highlighted the settings for best performance.
    Other settings are specific to my game/hardware setup (G-Sync, no in-game AF/Vsync etc).

NCP

settings.xml:

I game at 4K 60fps & have been playing about with the values while testing things, but this is generally close to what I normally use:

<Settings>
      <version value="27" />
      <graphics>
        <Tessellation value="0" />
        <PedLodBias value="0.200000" />
        <VehicleLodBias value="0.800000" />
        <ReflectionMSAA value="0" />
        <SSAO value="0" />
        <AnisotropicFiltering value="0" />
        <MSAA value="4" />
        <ParticleQuality value="0" />
        <GrassQuality value="0" />
        <Shadow_ParticleShadows value="false" />
        <Shadow_Distance value="3.80000" />
        <Shadow_LongShadows value="false" />
        <Shadow_SplitZStart value="1.000000" />
        <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.999900" />
        <Shadow_aircraftExpWeight value="0.999700" />
    	<multicorerendering value="true"/>
    	<textureplaceholder3 value="1.000000"/>
        <particleplaceholder1 value="1"/>
        <particleplaceholder2 value="true"/>
        <particleplaceholder3 value="1.000000"/>
        <waterplaceholder1 value="1"/>
        <waterplaceholder2 value="true"/>
        <waterplaceholder3 value="1.000000"/>
        <lightingplaceholder2 value="true"/>
        <lightingplaceholder3 value="1.000000"/>
        <shaderplaceholder1 value="1"/>
        <shaderplaceholder3 value="1.000000"/>
        <Lighting_FogVolumes value="false" />
        <Shader_SSA value="false" />
        <DX_Version value="2" />
        <PedVarietyMultiplier value="0.600000" />
        <VehicleVarietyMultiplier value="1.000000" />
        <PostFX value="2" />
        <DoF value="true" />
        <MaxLodScale value="0.000000" />
      </graphics>
      <system>
      </system>
      <audio>
      </audio>
      <video>
        <ScreenWidth value="3840" />
        <ScreenHeight value="2160" />
        <Windowed value="0" />
        <VSync value="0" />
        <Stereo value="0" />
      </video>
      <VideoCardDescription>NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti</VideoCardDescription>
    </Settings>

Note:
    I have a few of the values switched off (AF, AO etc) because I either use the Nvidia Control Panel equivalent or ENB/Reshade/SweetFX for the effects instead. Certain effects don't suit my timecycle or are just horribly implemented (Lighting_FogVolumes etc, has annoying pop-in, very noticable in countryside night driving). <MaxLodScale is set to zero because, as mentioned, I'm working on increasing the lod manually/individually, so it's more select & optimised.

Setting:

<Shader_SSA value="false" />

can save you a few frames without noticably dropping visual quality.

Also, see if:

makes any difference to your shadow line that was moving in front of the helicopter (in vid 2)

If you have any questions about lod hierarchy & what-not, give me a shout, I can probably answer most things & will be sussing out new things each day I work on it :thumbsup:

• WoW Man... No words to say in order to thank you by the clear explanations and detailed information. A big THANK YOU very much!

I will follow your explanations step-by-step and check the results ... I undestood everything you said above and it makes all sense to me. If, for some reason, i don´t solve my issue, i learnt a lot in this TOPIC. Really appreciated!

As soon as I have some results I will let you know (as well as to help others in the future with the same issue - or similar).

best regards,

JR

• @jrchaves
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot (updated previous post too), after you've edited everything in the parent '.ymap' it's probably best to remove the numbering (added by the TextPad Replace) from the file (I'm not sure it makes any difference (& haven't tested), but I have a philosophy of not adding any unaccountable variables into the work I do, especially where GTA V is concerned :thumbsup:)

If you use Notepad++ you can perform a Replace (Ctrl+H) to remove all numbering quickly in one go, like this:

Notepad++ parentindex Replace

Find what : CEntityDef"> .*
    Replace with : CEntityDef">

• Great!

Thank you for the updated information! I will replicate this additional step too (I do agree that it´s a very good practice!)

• @a63nt-5m1th

Hi friend!

Well, it take a while to understand each line you wrote but this was the best detailed tutorial i´ve ever read with a lot of important aspects for GTA modders. A big thanks A.S.!

I am "glad" to know that the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' props was also bug for you. These trees (Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b, Prop_Bush_Lrg_04c and Prop_Bush_Lrg_04d) really annoys me a lot and frustrates me from time to time when play GTA 5.

LOD TRANSITION EDITING:

As you can see in my VIDEO #04 below, since i start the game so far from the Prop_Bush_Lrg_04's region, even you increased the lodDist value to 601.00000000 , I still seeing the LOD issue, but now the change (from IMAGE1 to IMAGE2 - I mean, from the LOD to the model itself) happens far from me (it´s less proeminent).

If I change the lodDist to 5001.00000000 (in order to totally fix the issue), you mentioned that I would need to change the streamingExtentsMin/Max ... Could you help me to change the values below accordingly?

<streamingExtentsMin x="-1294.63900000" y="2684.83700000" z="-836.83470000"/>
    <streamingExtentsMax x="705.36120000" y="4684.83700000" z="1163.16500000"/>

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:

Thank you so much!

Settings.xml:

Thank you so much again! Here I have a couple of questions:

1. Why don´t you use MSAA 8 (i noticed you use 4)?
      1. Why do you use ReflectionMSAA = 0? It will not reflect anything.
      1. I undertood that Ambient Oclusion and Anisotropic Filtering you have set both to ZERO, because you set them individually through ENB/Reshade. In regards to Tesselation: you also set it to ZERO ... where (or in which FX or parameter in ENB/Reshade) do you configure it?
      1. I´ve always playing with ENB or Reshade ... Not with SweetFX ... i thought it was a bit old to use SweefFX. Why do you use it? (just curious here)
      1. When you set <Shader_SSA value="false" />, what effects are disabled (AO, AF and Tesselation)?

Shadow line:

You mentioned the shadow line issue in the 2nd video (with the helicopter).
    If you check my VIDEO 04 above (in the very beginning of the video), you will see also this problem with the brushes. Additionaly, I don´t know if it´s somehow related, but if you check also my VIDEO 05 (below), it seems that this situation has not happening only with brushes, but also with the shadows in the buildings.

Just to make things transparent, this is the settings.xml file used for those videos:

<Settings>
      <version value="27" />
      <graphics>
        <ReflectionMSAA value="8" />
        <SSAO value="2" />
        <AnisotropicFiltering value="0" />
        <MSAA value="8" />
        <ParticleQuality value="2" />
        <GrassQuality value="3" />
        <Shadow_ParticleShadows value="false" />
        <Shadow_Distance value="2.000000" />
        <Shadow_aircraftExpWeight value="0.999700" />
        <Lighting_FogVolumes value="false" />
        <DX_Version value="2" />
        <PedVarietyMultiplier value="0.100000" />
        <VehicleVarietyMultiplier value="0.100000" />
        <PostFX value="3" />
        <DoF value="true" />
      </graphics>
      <system>
      </system>
      <audio>
      </audio>
      <video>
        <Windowed value="0" />
        <VSync value="0" />
        <Stereo value="0" />
      </video>
    </Settings>

Do you know if those Shadow Line bugs are related each other? Do you know if it´s something related with LodDist value too?

Again, thank you so much for instructing me on all this matters!

Best regards,

JR

• @jrchaves said in LOD issues with TREES and BUSHES (IMAGES + VIDEO):

These trees (Prop_Bush_Lrg_04b, Prop_Bush_Lrg_04c and Prop_Bush_Lrg_04d) really annoys me a lot and frustrates me from time to time when play GTA 5

Totally with you on that one :thumbsup:. I've had a personal vendetta against them for the past few months.

Streaming Extents:

Try this:

<streamingExtentsMin x="-7294.63900000" y="-4684.83700000" z="-836.83470000"/>
    <streamingExtentsMax x="6705.36120000" y="9684.83700000" z="7163.16500000"/>

GTAV co-ordinates work like this around a central x=0, y=0 point (blue marker):

xy co-ordinates

z= height (so not shown on a 2D map).

This interactive GTA V map is quite handy when it comes to x & y co-ordinates.

In the 'Data (1 per line):*' text box you would enter them like this:

Format:

xmin,ymin
    xmax,ymax

So for my example above:

-7294.639,-4684.837

& then hit the 'Find (Multi)' button below the text box (zoom out (mouse scroll wheel back) if you can't see the blue marker co-ordinates).

Note:
    Forcing the game to use the hd lods (as much as it is willing to. As mentioned in previous posts, certain props refuse to have their lods increased past a certain point or begin to spawn in all at the same time for some reason) will have an effect on your framerate. You'll have to balance looks to framerate sooner or later.

Settings.xml:

• 1: Performance really, diminishing returns. 4xMSAA is plenty when playing at 4K
    • 2: ReflectionMSAA is just MSAA applied to reflections (the reflections will still appear without it),
    • 3: I don't bother with tesselation, it only applies to a few select trees throughout the game & I have never noticed a visual difference from having it ON or OFF so just turned it OFF.
    • 4: Preference, I basically use a modded version of Photovision. It's an older Reshade/SweetFX/ENB combo that combined with my own timecycle gives me a really nice look:

Pic 01

Pic 02

Pic 03

Pic 04

• 5: <Shader_SSA value="false" /> just disables the
      Screen Space Anti-Aliasing used by the shaders in the game. It's poorly optimised (so quite a resource hog) & hardly makes any noticable visual improvement.

Shadow Box:

The helicopter vid looked wrong, but those bike vids are pretty much how GTA V does shadows.
    You have the higher quality shadow box around you & it's blend into the lod shadows is total :poop:, leaving a shadow line racing ahead of you when you are driving.

Shadowbox Line

I don't think LodDist has any effect on it. ShadowDistance can somewhat, but I've never found anything that could get rid of it completely.
    Personal vendetta no.2, I hate that shadowbox :angry: .

We might be able to do something about it once the community is able to edit & add 'cameras.ymt' back into the game (not possible at the moment, but hopefully at some point in the future :fingers_crossed: )

• Hi mate!

Thank you for the additional clarification and all rich information. You really know a lot of GTA Modding and I am quite sure it consumed a lot of your time to learn (and in most cases, by trial and error experience).

By the end of the day I will make the adjustments in the streamingExtentsMin and check the results.

P.S. I loved your images.

Best regards,

JR

• @jrchaves
    Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
    The lod distance issues I mentioned are kicking my ass at the moment. If I check the hd lod transition when I head towards the 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04' props from the North or East they work perfectly (1000 range lod to hd transition), head towards them from the South or West tho & they transition to hd ~250 :angry: .
    It ain't ymap/lod/slod streaming extents, it ain't timecycle modifiers, it ain't the '.ytyp' archetypes, it ain't SLOD BoundingBox/Sphere values. Totally running out of ideas here lol.

Specifically it's these 'Prop_Bush_Lrg_04's highlighted here:

LOD Transition Issue

They transition independently when set to vanilla lod distances, but group together when the lod distance is increased & then all transition in at the same time. As mentioned, from the North or East the transition is almost out of sight, but come at them from the South or West & they transition real close in (~200 range, somewhere near the bottom & the left edges of the pic)?! :confused:
    If you happen to edit them, I would be interested to know if you have the same issue? (don't worry about it if not :thumbsup:).

• @a63nt-5m1th said in LOD issues with TREES and BUSHES (IMAGES + VIDEO):

Prop_Bush_Lrg_04

Hi friend!

I took the adjusted files cs3_08f.ymap and cs3_08f_critical_0.ymaped that you have shared and I have increased the streamingExtentsMin and streamingExtentsMax as you have indicated and I also increased the lodDist value from 601.00000000 to 5001.00000000 and now the problem was GONE!!! Finally!

I had to replace the files in two locations as you can see in this image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zewx2PAOQVNgPqxgC6j31wu5d2w6sxsF/view

I got a shot from far from the tree (as per this image):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h8x9_uDuOiozz6lYfrz899p3dBB1-YUR/view

And for my surprise,, when I ZOOM into it (from that distance), I got the following:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLi9gxt9owpxbofkKEfB1i8ZZ42CyXxZ/view

P.S.: Sorry, i have registered in Flickr but I don´t see the IMAGE URL to share here and easily show the image.

I also uploaded a video to youtube demonstrating the final result (i used a different timecycle without FOG in order to allow a better visualization - sorry for the clouds).

If anyone wants to download the files that I edited with the adjustments you mentioned, here is the link to download them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZRW7cE1mTxrr9N6ndv7GYji10lRGgTK7/view?usp=sharing

In regards to the Prop_Bush_Lrg_04 in the region you highlighted, i will try to also replicate the issue and begin analyzing if I solve it (i promisse to share if i do, but i am sure it will take time).

It is a pity that we have to locate all YMAPs and punctually make this adjustments in everysingle LodDist in order to fix the issue with this tree but, anyway, that´s the way GTA V was created.

Man, I thank you very much for your support and patience here! It´s SOLVED!!! I am quite sure that this TOPIC will help a lot of GTA modders and players!

Sincerely yours,

JR

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.