How to change headlight direction (for RHD cars)?
The cars in this game have headlights designed so that the headlights are bit pointed more towards the right of the car, so as to not blind oncoming traffic, just like in real life.
However, it doesn't make sense for a car designed as right-hand-drive.
I've noticed some RHD car mods actually have this designed properly. Others don't. In this case, I was wondering how to flip the headlights on these cars so that the lights are more directed to the left like actual RHD cars?
- Jump into 'graphics.ytd'.
- Export a 'vehiclelight_car_' texture of choice (or export all with 'vehiclelight_car_' in name etc).
- Rename the exported texture/s to something like 'vehiclelight_car_standard70s_RHD' etc.
- Open them with Photoshop or some such.
- Flip the image vertically (top to bottom & bottom to top) & save.
You may need to reposition certain headlight textures slightly within Photoshop, if they're not centred vertically etc.
- In OpenIV's Texture Viewer window, use Import (top left) to import the edited/flipped RHD texture/s back into 'graphics.ytd'
Make Vehicle Use New RHD Headlights:
- Use the vehicle's 'carvariations.ymt/.meta' to figure out what '<lightSettings value=' the vehicle uses.
- Find that light id value in the '<Lights>' section of the vehicle's 'carcols.ymt/.meta'
- Find the '<headLight>' section in that light id section:
<headLight> <intensity value="1.00000000"/> <falloffMax value="35.00000000"/> <falloffExponent value="16.00000000"/> <innerConeAngle value="0.00000000"/> <outerConeAngle value="60.21000000"/> <emmissiveBoost value="false"/> <color value="0xFFFFFFCC"/> <textureName>vehiclelight_car_standard70s</textureName> <mirrorTexture value="false"/> </headLight>
- Edit the '<textureName>' line to the name of your new flipped RHD texture/s
<headLight> <intensity value="1.00000000"/> <falloffMax value="35.00000000"/> <falloffExponent value="16.00000000"/> <innerConeAngle value="0.00000000"/> <outerConeAngle value="60.21000000"/> <emmissiveBoost value="false"/> <color value="0xFFFFFFCC"/> <textureName>vehiclelight_car_standard70s_RHD</textureName> <!-- Now uses flipped RHD texture --> <mirrorTexture value="false"/> </headLight>
That should do it
OpenIV > Ctrl+F3 > Search for 'graphics.ytd'
By default it's here:
but could easily be here (if a mod has installed it there or like a lot of people, you try to have as many of the files you edit to be inside 'update.rpf' etc):
Edit the 'graphics.ytd' in 'update.rpf' if it exists (as that will be the one loaded by the game), if not, edit it wherever you find it or move it to 'update.rpf\x64\textures\graphics.ytd' & edit it there, up to you
Bit late I suppose, but this didn't work. Still used the same headlights as before.
Which part didn't work for you?
Renaming the texture used in 'carcols.ymt/.meta', or flipping the texture so the ingame left & right horizontal headlight angles are flipped?
When flipping the texture, the headlights will look similar ingame, the only difference being that the left headlight will now shine slightly higher instead of the right one.
To change the headlights texture you need to rename the '<headLight>' '<textureName>' line in 'carcols.ymt/.meta' to the same name as the texture in 'graphics.ytd' you want to use. If done correctly, I can assure you it does work
@a63nt-5m1th It didn't for me. I even tried using the "mirrorTexture" thing just in case, but that didn't do anything. The right headlight still shines more than the left.
Are you editing the 'graphics.ytd' here:
(if not, move your 'graphics.ytd' to there, edit, & then see if it works)
Definitely works for me (see pics). I edited the headlight texture to make the difference easier to see:
I very much doubt the game has the ability to tell the difference betwen the two textures, so you're looking at either, some other value somewhere that flips it, or you weren't editing the 'graphics.ytd' loaded by the game. Those are the most likely reasons for your issue, if you choose to diagnose etc
It could be the car itself. It’s FreedomGundam’s AE86 (the recent one).
If it's his 1983 Toyota Sprinter Trueno 3DOOR 1600GT Apex (AE86) [Add-On | Tuning | LHD | Pop-up Headlight] 4.0.3 RHD one, appears to work here anyway
I edited the headlight texture to make the change more apparent.
To start diagnosing, try this:
- Edit the ae86gts 'carcols.meta' '<headLight>' section to this:
<headLight> <intensity value="1.000000" /> <falloffMax value="35.000000" /> <falloffExponent value="16.000000" /> <innerConeAngle value="0.000000" /> <outerConeAngle value="60.209999" /> <emmissiveBoost value="false" /> <color value="0x00FFE153" /> <textureName>VehicleLight_car_test</textureName> <mirrorTexture value="false" /> </headLight>
- Create a unique & easily identifiable texture & save it as 'VehicleLight_car_test' (.dds/.png etc). Do whatever you like, add colours, stripes, circles, whatever etc. Just make it easy to spot etc. Alternatively, use this LEFT/RIGHT one if you like.
- Open 'graphics.ytd' & import (top left) the 'VehicleLight_car_test' (.dds/.png etc) texture & then save 'graphics.ytd'.
- Test in-game & see if the headlights have changed
- If your new texture doesn't appear, you're most likely editing the wrong 'graphics.ytd'/it's corrupted/not updating, or not being loaded by the game for some reason.
That, or the a86gts 'carcols.meta' changes aren't being applied for some reason.
- If it does appear, replace the 'VehicleLight_car_test' texture with a headlight texture of choice & then work from there to flip the texture vertically (in photoshop etc) causing it to flip horizontally ingame.