How to change headlight direction (for RHD cars)?
The cars in this game have headlights designed so that the headlights are bit pointed more towards the right of the car, so as to not blind oncoming traffic, just like in real life.
However, it doesn't make sense for a car designed as right-hand-drive.
I've noticed some RHD car mods actually have this designed properly. Others don't. In this case, I was wondering how to flip the headlights on these cars so that the lights are more directed to the left like actual RHD cars?
- Jump into 'graphics.ytd'.
- Export a 'vehiclelight_car_' texture of choice (or export all with 'vehiclelight_car_' in name etc).
- Rename the exported texture/s to something like 'vehiclelight_car_standard70s_RHD' etc.
- Open them with Photoshop or some such.
- Flip the image vertically (top to bottom & bottom to top) & save.
You may need to reposition certain headlight textures slightly within Photoshop, if they're not centred vertically etc.
- In OpenIV's Texture Viewer window, use Import (top left) to import the edited/flipped RHD texture/s back into 'graphics.ytd'
Make Vehicle Use New RHD Headlights:
- Use the vehicle's 'carvariations.ymt/.meta' to figure out what '<lightSettings value=' the vehicle uses.
- Find that light id value in the '<Lights>' section of the vehicle's 'carcols.ymt/.meta'
- Find the '<headLight>' section in that light id section:
<headLight> <intensity value="1.00000000"/> <falloffMax value="35.00000000"/> <falloffExponent value="16.00000000"/> <innerConeAngle value="0.00000000"/> <outerConeAngle value="60.21000000"/> <emmissiveBoost value="false"/> <color value="0xFFFFFFCC"/> <textureName>vehiclelight_car_standard70s</textureName> <mirrorTexture value="false"/> </headLight>
- Edit the '<textureName>' line to the name of your new flipped RHD texture/s
<headLight> <intensity value="1.00000000"/> <falloffMax value="35.00000000"/> <falloffExponent value="16.00000000"/> <innerConeAngle value="0.00000000"/> <outerConeAngle value="60.21000000"/> <emmissiveBoost value="false"/> <color value="0xFFFFFFCC"/> <textureName>vehiclelight_car_standard70s_RHD</textureName> <!-- Now uses flipped RHD texture --> <mirrorTexture value="false"/> </headLight>
That should do it
OpenIV > Ctrl+F3 > Search for 'graphics.ytd'
By default it's here:
but could easily be here (if a mod has installed it there or like a lot of people, you try to have as many of the files you edit to be inside 'update.rpf' etc):
Edit the 'graphics.ytd' in 'update.rpf' if it exists (as that will be the one loaded by the game), if not, edit it wherever you find it or move it to 'update.rpf\x64\textures\graphics.ytd' & edit it there, up to you