Using GTA 5 map editor for psychology experiment

• Hey everyone! I just joined this site and am planning on building interactive maps in which study participants will drive in for an experiment I am working on in college. I am trying to download and use the maps provided here to do this but am wondering if I already have to have GTA 5 on my computer. I was about to download ScripthookV and then came to the conclusion that this download is more than likely useless unless the game is already installed on my computer. Is this correct?

@danielcote321 Uhm, yes... You simply can't install mods to a game that you didn't install first :thinking:

• @Reyser Very good point. Do you recommend I buy or download GTA5? where would you recommend I buy or install from?

• @danielcote321 Epic Games Launcher has never given me issues, i think you should get it from there. I reccomend not launching it from there though, but rather using the "run" button in OpenIV, a program you'll definitely need to download in order to mod the game.

• Thank you very much!

• Okay so I am having to use shadow to use GTA5 and now have OpenIV downloaded onto their cloud, next step is to download map editor on here on to the cloud I am running off of on shadow correct? I have a mac so I had to use shadow to use OpenIV

• @BrynnaDaRosa Why do you recommend OpenIV, the videos I have been watching and the map editor on the website is recommending that I use scripthookV for editing maps.

• @danielcote321 ScriptHookV is not an editor. It enables you to be able to use script mods in GTA V.

• @danielcote321 I think you should partition your Mac and use bootcamp instead. That's what I did with mine.

• This thread should be pinned for anyone new to GTA V or modding in general.
    Important points:

1. You need to have GTA V installed before you can mod it - and as far as I know you should also install the game before you play it.
    2. SHV and SHVDN are not for editing maps.

• Okay so the game is installed, got past the prologue, installed OpenIV, was watching a youtube video that says when I am in free play that I can press f7 to bring up the map editor but I am unable to do this when I play the game. I have online play available and I have story mode but not free play. Is this because I have not beaten enough of the game yet? If so, if I beat more of the game, will this enable me to use the map editor in the game? What am I missing here.

• @danielcote321 There is no map editor. The video you watched must be referring to a mod you'll have to install that adds one to gta v.

• I do understand that and I installed the mod but still cant seem to open it and did everything that is necessary that the video instructed yet I can't open the mod. I have only played the prologue and not the first mission, I am wondering that maybe I cannot access the mod till I play the first mission to completion? I am told that a lot of things do not unlock till after the first mission is complete.

• You can bring map editor if you installed it correctly, you must have a working latest scripthook version if you have a latest game version. . And you dont need openIV if you only use map editor but you will need openIV for installing other non script based mod. . . Also after installing openIV go to settings and click install openiv.asi ,opencamera.asi,and the third .asi to make it fully working.

• Thanks for all the help thus far guys! So as it is very obvious, I am very new to this site, the game, and modding in general. As I navigate the site, I notice maps available, scripts, tools, vehicles, etc. I have noticed that scripts on the GTA5mods site seem to be the area in which there are missions, scenarios, and tasks that modders have created. For the project I am doing for school, I need to be able to take map downloads and edit them to be able to manipulate and control the onset of certain hazards (pedestrians, other vehicles, etc.) while my character is driving for me to try and avoid. I am assume I would have to build a script and use a modding studio in order to do this? What suggestions does everyone have?

• @jamesays So as it is very obvious, I am very new to this site, the game, and modding in general. As I navigate the site, I notice maps available, scripts, tools, vehicles, etc. I have noticed that scripts on the GTA5mods site seem to be the area in which there are missions, scenarios, and tasks that modders have created. For the project I am doing for school, I need to be able to take map downloads and edit them to be able to manipulate and control the onset of certain hazards (pedestrians, other vehicles, etc.) while my character is driving for me to try and avoid. I am assume I would have to build a script and use a modding studio in order to do this? What suggestions does everyone have?

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.