Inserting Lines in Dlclist.xml with OIV

• I hate OIVs and when I have to install a mod with an automatic installer I simply extract the oiv file and install manually, selecting what I want. One of the worst things selfish and/or incompetent mod creators will do is overwrite your dlclist.xml file with their own - essentially wiping out all your addon lines in one fell swoop.

Having said all that, I'm using OIVs that I've started to create for personal use, to update my insanely complex GTA 5 setup which has 9 different mod folders. Each of these folders shares the same Dlcpacks folder which I moved to the root folder. The only issue I had, to minimize duplicating files and folders, was editing dlclist.xml because each mod folder has its own specific dlclist.xml - each loading only specific assets such as worlds, maps, and MLOs.

So I thought I'd share what I've found on how to edit assembly.xml to insert one or many lines into a dlclist.xml. The code below is for one mod folder but can be expanded to as many as you want.

Example 1 - adding the vehicle fairlane64 as last line of file
    You want to insert one or many lines at the very end of the dlclist.xml file, just before the closing </Paths> tag.
    <insert where="Before" line="*&lt;/Paths&gt;*" condition="Mask">&lt;Item&gt;./DLC/Cars/American/fairlane64/&lt;/Item&gt;</insert>

Note: I use dozens of subfolders for my dlc for easier maintenance.

If you are using a regular mods and dlcpacks folder it would be:
    <insert where="Before" line="*&lt;/Paths&gt;*" condition="Mask">&lt;Item&gt;dlcpacks:/fairlane64/&lt;/Item&gt;</insert>

Note: you can't use < and > for your paths, so you need lt and gt respectively for less than and greater than. The ampersand (&) is to concatenate.

output would be at the very bottom of the dlclist.xml file and look like this:
    <Item>./DLC/Cars/American/fairlane64/</Item>
    </Paths>
    or with a regular setup
    <Item>dlcpacks/fairlane64/</Item>
    </Paths>

Example 2 - adding the vehicle fairlane64 anywhere you want
    To do this you might want to add a comment header. For example you could use <!--CARS--> as your comment header.
    In this case we will add the new dlc item after the header comment.

<insert where="After" line="*&lt;!--CARS --&gt;*" condition="Mask">&lt;Item&gt;./DLC/Cars/American/fairlane64/&lt;/Item&gt;</insert>
    or with a regular setup
    <insert where="After" line="*&lt;!--CARS --&gt;*" condition="Mask">&lt;Item&gt;dlcpacks:/fairlane64/&lt;/Item&gt;</insert>

output:
    <!--CARS -->
    <Item>./DLC/Cars/American/fairlane64/</Item>
    or, for a regular setup, no subfolders:
    <Item>dlcpacks/fairlane64/</Item>

More Detailed Example:
    <archive path="update\update.rpf" createIfNotExist="False" type="RPF7">
    <text path="common\data\dlclist.xml" createIfNotExist="False">
    <insert where="After" line="*&lt;!--CARS --&gt;*" condition="Mask">&lt;Item&gt;./DLC/Cars/American/fairlane64/&lt;/Item&gt;</insert>
    </text>
    </archive>

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.