Editing Car Names

• Are there any tutorials on how to edit car names? Sometimes when you install package mods, then install real car names mods, you get some cars named incorrectly. For example, Michael's car in Revo is a Lexus but is called a Chevy Cobalt. And most add on cars have names I'd like to change as well

• @Lakeshow2482 You will find all the names in vehicles.rpf using OpenIV. Search for Chevy Cobalt and change it to Lexus. Just don't change anything with the spawn name.

• @JohnFromGWN Thanks mate, I'll suss it out!

@Lakeshow2482 next time please post in the correct forum section

• @ReNNie no worries will do

• @JohnFromGWN Couldn't see it in there. The path I looked in was mods>x64e.rpf>levels>gta5>vehicles.rpf.

From there, there only seems to be the original vehicle name ytd files.

Am I in the right folder? And what file am I editing?

editing car names to be displayed on-screen goes via the entries in vehicles.meta and global.gxt2
    and then having these entries in the dlc.rpf in the lang folder in global.gxt2 (and with having a dlctxt.meta loaded in content.xml)

vehicles.meta entries

<gameName>RS3C</gameName>
          <vehicleMakeName>AUDI</vehicleMakeName>

global.gxt2 entries

AUDI = Audi
    RS3C = RS3 Convertible 2017

which would display Audi RS3 Convertible 2017 when spawning or entering the RS3C spawn name

more info here and others parts of the forum when you search:
    https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/13842/custom-gxt2-for-car-names-for-add-on-dlc-2

• Thanks @ReNNie but I can't manage to get this to work.

Trying to rename Michaels Cobalt to Lexus IS350 and trying to follow the steps above, but Cobolt is nowhere to be found in either file?

• @Lakeshow2482 You mention Revo which is a paid patreon mod i guess? If so, you might want to contact the creator for support although the process will be exactly the same. I can't explain why a search in OpenIV isn't working unless you have the game rather than the mods folder in the search? And make sure you spell it correctly in the search, even in your post you have Cobalt and Cobolt.

• @Lakeshow2482 said in Editing Car Names:

@JohnFromGWN Couldn't see it in there. The path I looked in was mods>x64e.rpf>levels>gta5>vehicles.rpf.

From there, there only seems to be the original vehicle name ytd files.

Am I in the right folder? And what file am I editing?

I just realized your likely not even doing a search, you're looking into a folder, the wrong folder. An addon mod will be in your dlcpacks by default, if this is a mod.

Do an OpenIV search from the top folder. Also, again if this is a paid mod, where did you install it? That's where you will find the information you need.

Search for Lexus or Cobalt or Cobolt if misspelled, but don't look at the folder you mentioned because that's vanilla unless your lexus/cobalt was installed there as a replace.

• @JohnFromGWN Well that's why I looked in there, as I thought it was a replace?

It is a paid mod actually, so good idea, might pay to check with the modder.

Cheers again

• @Lakeshow2482 You can also just do a search from the top of OpenIV. If you installed this in your Mods folder, choose Mods. If this mod is only one or more dlc.rpf files then search inside those dlc.rpf. Should be very easy to find.

• Thanks @JohnFromGWN will look into that a bit later as I'm sort of getting this to work for add on cars.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm still a bit new to all this. So I'm renaming a hellcat to Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

vehicles.meta
    <gameName>CHALLENGER HELLCAT</gameName>
    <vehicleMakeName>DODGE</vehicleMakeName>

global file however shows up as per below

{
    0x7C75E663 = Optima
    0x767A6629 = KIA
    }

So I have changed it to

{
    DODGE = Dodge
    CHALLENGER HELLCAT = Challenger Hellcat
    }

In the game, it shows up as Challenger Hellcat. So I went back in to both files, and have changed wherever it says Challenger Hellcat to Dodge Challenger Hellcat, but it doesn't seem to want to display Dodge, no matter how I do it!

Almost there, and apologies for asking for help on something that is probably so easy for you guys :)

• @Lakeshow2482 I'm not sure but try switching them around? I don't edit these files so not sure.

<gameName>DODGE</gameName>
    <vehicleMakeName>CHALLENGER HELLCAT</vehicleMakeName>

Also check out the link @ReNNie provided.

https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/13842/custom-gxt2-for-car-names-for-add-on-dlc-2

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.