[Tutorial] | Handling.meta

• @MrGTAmodsgerman
    Had a little look through the 'handling.meta's of the game & appears R* decided to use it just on Aircraft (specifically Planes) :thumbsup:
    If you want to extend how far the vehicle free wheels for, you're best bet is to lower 'fInitialDragCoeff':

<fInitialDragCoeff value="0.000000" />

Note: This will noticably change the grip & cornering characteristics of the vehicle (not just top speed & acceleration) & would need to be compensated for.
    The way low values stole my vehicles ability to corner as proficiently as it did before feels like 'fInitialDragCoeff' has a true to life downforce element to it, separate from the independent '<fDownforceModifier value' (which feels like it itself has a drag element to it & thus probably couldn't be used to compensate for low 'fInitialDragCoeff', as they would most likely cancel the inverse of each other out to some degree).
    The '<fDriveInertia value' (lower for more inertia, less acceleration etc. Usually used for big vehicles like Big Rigs & Buses etc) appears to have a very small influence over the freewheel distance but not enough to be of any real use. Extremely low values also break the engine sound making the vehicle silent (only turbo whine can be heard) while high numbers would need to be compensated for by increased 'fInitialDragCoeff' (pointless) or decreased forward grip ('<fTractionCurveMin value'. Not usually desirable/will cause wheelspin).
    As you may be able to tell, I like ripping things apart to see how they work :slight_smile:. Hopefully the info helps you some, even if it's just knowing what they do :thumbsup:

• Hey, i had a problem with some handling. Whenever I break, the front of the car lifts and the rear dives. How do I reverse or fix this?

• @Mlehbleh
    You have the 'z' parameter for 'vecCentreOfMassOffset' set too low :thumbsup:

<vecCentreOfMassOffset x="0.000000" y="-0.120000" z="Raise This Value" />

If you raise it too much the vehicle will start doing the opposite/tipping over on corners.
    Just play about raising (if front still raise under braking) or lowering (if tipping over etc) the value until you find the sweet spot. :thumbsup:
    Hard to guess at a value as I don't know how severe it is but if you can't figure it out give me a shout & I'll help ya out. :thumbsup:

• Can you explain "handlingname"? I mean, i can't find Zentorno, it has another name in handling.meta. Where can i see handlingname for every normal vehicle's name?

• @tedmed
    Sorry for the late message. Be sure to tag users by name if you want them to get a notification by putting a '@' symbol in front of their username ( @a63nt-5m1th etc) :thumbsup:

You can find the handlingid name in each vehicles 'vehicles.meta'. It looks like this:

<handlingId>NINEF</handlingId>

You then search for that name ('NINEF' in this example) in the 'handling.meta' files :thumbsup:

Note: There may be more than one 'handling.meta' location for each vehicle. Watch out for ones in the '...\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf\dlc_patch' folder structure as they load over the ones in '...\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks').

• Is there a way to fix the gear shifting time? For example, when you leave the handling line vanilla the gears are more drawn out, but if you change anything on the powertrain side it shifts from 1st gear to final gear in 1.2 seconds.

• The Tutorial (first post this topic ;) ) says:

FCLUTCHCHANGERATESCALEUPSHIFT
    Clutch speed multiplier on up shifts.

Bigger numbers = faster shifts.
    FCLUTCHCHANGERATESCALEDOWNSHIFT
    Clutch speed multiplier on down shifts.

Bigger numbers = faster shifts

• @a63nt-5m1th said in [Tutorial] | Handling.meta:

To switch 'FREEWHEEL_NO_GAS' to ON you want to make sure the 3rd digit from the right (Note: right to left) is a '1'.
    Leave the other digits as they are. They won't always be zeros (as in my example above) & there won't always be 8 digits either.
    If there is only one zero there, you can pad digits 1 & 2 out with zeroes to get to digit 3 (same applies for any other digit up to 8 ).

Thank you very much for sharing this! <3

I am obsessed with making my GTA 4 / GTA 5 as realistic as possible . . . in really snowy conditions. :D
    This auto-braking bothered me the longest time - but not anymore! This adds perfectly to my scenario. THX a lot :)

• @Hundl So thats not what I mean. FCLUTCHCHANGERATESCALEUPSHIFT/DOWNSHIFT are the clutch engagement times, meaning it changes the time between when the engine is providing power to the transmission and when it is disengaged. I'm looking for longer gears not longer times with no power.

• Hey! which entry in the .handlingfile of a tank ensures that multiple vehicles come are easier under the tracks? (to be flattened)

• @V4D3R Not sure if you copied this from the wiki, or if they copied it from YOUR post, but can you please append the following information?:

fGearDownDragV
    The amount of drag that the landing gear contains

fGearDownLiftMult
    The speed in which the landing gear retracts and detracts

fgeardoor(front / rear)(open / open2)
    The speed in which the gear doors open (which entry takes effect depends on the plane model!)

NOTE:
    You can change the speed of the landing gear to be faster than the speed of the gear door, so the gear can actually clip through; Be sure to scale the speed of the gear-doors to be the same as the speed of the gear itself on the plane;

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.