Mafins is officially done with Menyoo...Volunteers?

• "...I do not update this project anymore as I am busy with other things.
    ...this went open-source under the GPLv3 licence was so that the community could update this, whether via revival projects using forks (persuant to the licence terms) or by creating merge/pull requests so that the main project can be updated with commits made by multiple individuals."

So Mafins is officially done with Menyoo. But he has left it open source to 'multiple individuals' to update the main project. Buttloads of you guys out there know how to do this and still use this mod. I've used a couple of updates that were here on 5Mods.com but they all got pulled for one reason or another. I would do it, but I know squat about coding and don't have the time to learn. So who's going to step up and make this happen?

I got this directly from Mafins and anyone with a potential 'trip' can verify it on his github page.

• @iammistahwolf Sadly the only "volunteers " you're likely to get are the ones who will want donations. Ever notice the people who write scripts or create mods rarely help anyone? There are a few exceptions ofc but most want money for the "hundreds" of hours they spent on their menyoo maps or ugly ped conversions.

• @JohnFromGWN I do get the desire for 'compensation' for one's work. I also get for all purposes 'modding is supposed to be free.' In this instance however, Menyoo is a valuable tool many map makers use to create their 'hundreds of hours' worth maps. Even my most elaborate maps took probably a year or more, but only because I did other things and eventually came back to them. If I were going to charge, it would be for 5M as many of those groups make money off their videos and merch sales. There were a couple of times updates were made and put up on this site but the mod's pulled them. Mafins said 'there were those who used 'forks' or 'merge/pull requests' to keep the mod going. Since he made this open source, there's 'nobody' out there with the knowledge and 'wantitude' to make this happen? If that's the case, what does that say about modders in general?

• @iammistahwolf said in Mafins is officially done with Menyoo...Volunteers?:

what does that say about modders in general?

We have to be careful about what we call modders. The 10 year old who starts with Michael's vanilla white tshirt, adds a logo in MS Paint, self declares it as a masterpiece, and uploads it along with 20 variations doesn't have anywhere the talent required to modify Mafins source and recompile it.

Same goes for the hundreds of "modders " who think a Menyoo map is a real map. It's not, not even close. A Menyoo map is just a saved game with a collection of game assets.

I once made a minor change to Menyoo's source code, and recompiled it successfully although i ran into some VS issues that @Jitnaught resolved for me.

In fact, from my very limited knowledge of programmers who are both active and experts on this forum, he's the only one i know who has the talent to do this.

I sure as hell don't and never will.

• "We have to be careful about what we call modders. The 10 year old who starts with Michael's vanilla white tshirt, adds a logo in MS Paint, self declares it as a masterpiece, and uploads it along with 20 variations doesn't have anywhere the talent required to modify Mafins source and recompile it."

Well, I never expected 'weenies' like you mentioned to step up. It was always going to come down to the 'serious programmer' to tackle this. Mafins gave up on updating the dlc content years before finally casting Menyoo aside. In truth, it doesn't need that part so much. Being able to recognize 'assets' (vehicles, props and peds) is key as Menyoo shines best as an asset 'manipulator'. I've tried building with codewalker but I can build 4 maps of the same calibre in Menyoo in the same amount of time with far less effort.

I do get your beef with the 'mod weenies' you mention in many posts. I've done some recolors in Photoshop and even 'MS Paint' (just to see if it could be done.) Many I've liked and use for peds, but there's few I'd consider putting out for release without far more work up. My 'beef' is seeing maps get multiple thousands of downloads that are utter crap that had no real thought or effort put into them. Even MLO's seem to get a 'pass' just because even when they're just slapped together!

• @iammistahwolf said in Mafins is officially done with Menyoo...Volunteers?:

Well, I never expected 'weenies' like you mentioned to step up. It was always going to come down to the 'serious programmer' to tackle this.

I get you, and if this was 2017 it would be feasible. But the experts have likely moved on, graduated from computer science, and now have full time paying jobs, possibly married with children.

Thankfully, I only use Menyoo sparingly. I've moved all my addon cars, peds, and teleports to LemonUI menus - more work than using Menyoo but everything is customized exactly the way I want it to be. And I even have tasks.

• EDIT: I've just seen that your direct contact with Mafins was just an issue raised on his github, not an official announcement that he was stopping support. People can still provide the pull requests and that has been working fine for the last few years.

I have already modified a fair amount of the menyoo code for additional functionality and continue to develop it.

I have been meaning to ask Mafins if he is happy for me to take over/replace the modpage on here, as a lot of new users don't know/won't download the version from Github.

John, stop being so bloody negative all the time, there are still plenty of us out there who do it for the love of doing it, chill out.

• @ItsJustCurtis said in Mafins is officially done with Menyoo...Volunteers?:

John, stop being so bloody negative all the time, there are still plenty of us out there who do it for the love of doing it, chill out.

So I'm not allowed to have, and share, my opinion on, of all places, a public forum?

Sorry for my negativity offending your sensitive nature.

As for the "love of doing it", despite your knowledge and experience, I seldom have seen you help any new users.

In the relatively short time I've been here I can see a downward trend with respect to both the quality of mods and the participation of the ones who once were experts. Given the PC version was released in 2013, it's normal they moved on.

Negative or realistic? Perhaps in this context they're the same?

Going back to doing it for the love of it, would be nice of you to help occasionally with user issues, new users asking for help in one sentence, blaming all issues on the mods, providing no or little useful information to help help them, rarely giving feedback on resolution, and most importantly if they do post the outcome, rarely saying thank you.

• @ItsJustCurtis

I have already modified a fair amount of the menyoo code for additional functionality and continue to develop it.

I have been meaning to ask Mafins if he is happy for me to take over/replace the modpage on here, as a lot of new users don't know/won't download the version from Github.

That sounds great!

• @ItsJustCurtis , Mafins pretty much made it official when he said he was 'leaving' that post up so others would know. If you're serious about updating menyoo, it probably wouldn't be an issue were you to ask. Menyoo is a staple and many of its aspects are difficult to beat without specific attention. Wouldn't be a thing if literally 'millions' of map makers 'ammy' or 'pro' didn't use it.

I do get 'John's' lament about the state of mods. I started in shortly after buying the game in 2017. I can track the 'decline in quality' since then. There's still some 'heavy hitters', but the trend has gone to 5M which I can understand as the game is best played in 'Multiplayer'. But without the 'unholy shenanigans' of MP Online. 'R' missed a real opportunity, but they got their 'shark card mainline' and that's all they care about. From what I'm seeing, most of the best mods are written for 5M with a 'backhanded' conversion to SP if at all. That's too bad since the game still attracts new players and potential mod users after all this time.

• @iammistahwolf

Yo dawg 2 things.

Respectfully...

1. Dayuuum. Fascinating you say FiveM MP GTA V is best.
      I cant see the appeal in FiveM MP or online. SP only for me. I like being a lone god in my own GTA V world.
      With others in my game it would instantly become war / green light / kill on site lol.

2. FiveM mods. Just to see whats out there I recently checked any and all FiveM sites /forums.
      Imho the FiveM mods I found both free / paid were trash.
      Except for one paid mod which was a European tree palm replacement mod which would be dope for Christmas time with snow.
      I know someone balls deep strictly into FiveM. He said the best FiveM mods are server specific / not sold publicly. Must be all hush hush secret stuff because even all the FiveM vids on YT look basically like vanilla GTA V / feature trash interior mods etc.

• @gtavjamal I figure if the choice were 'R's' mp or the 5M version, it looks like the latter would be the obvious choice if you actually wanted to do more than 'circle jerk' for hours on end while waiting to respawn. At least on a 5M server (private) you establish the tone of play and what all was in it unlike 'R's' 'take what we give you and shark card the rest.' What I'm hating (very much) lately, is when you ask a modder a simple question the answer is, 'Join my Discord.' Most of the time they just want the 'numbers padded' and will only get back if you're a freakin' patreon.

• @iammistahwolf Yeah for those into the GTA V social aspect 5M hands down. At least it offers way more control etc.

As for people trying to lure others into their Discord (incl Patreon) I also noticed when some ask questions they post here then say...reply to my Discord and let me know. Yeah right lol.

• @gtavjamal
    I give people my Discord server or my Discord name to send me a friend request because I don't personally check my mod pages very often and a lot of people also don't tag you in their comments so you don't get any notifications. Discord makes it a lot easier to share pictures and all of that as well.

• @IAmJFry Fair enuf dawg. I get many such as yourself like it. All good. Personally I hate Discord and quit it long ago for multiple reasons.

Btw. In your case you are not asking for help you are offering value. The onus should be on those seeking the help.

• @gtavjamal said in Mafins is officially done with Menyoo...Volunteers?:

Personally I hate Discord and quit

You have to admit, if the definition fits, you must then quit.

Definition of discord (Entry 1 of 2)
    1a: lack of agreement or harmony (as between persons, things, or ideas)
    … must we fall into the jabber and babel of discord while victory is still unattained?
    — Sir Winston Churchill
    b: active quarreling or conflict resulting from discord among persons or factions : STRIFE
    marital discord
    discord between the two parties

• @JohnFromGWN Touche haha.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.