The Truth (Build 2699)

• Before this abominable update ever existed, I had so many mods installed. ASI mods, Add-On mods, scripts, you name it. However, this update caused my game to crash while loading. I tried everything in my power to fix this. First, I deleted my 'scripts' folder, and the results were the same. I deleted every ASI mod on the root folder. Nothing changed. However, I wasn't going to give up easily. I've decided to reinstall dinput8.dll, and something happened: I could play without crashing on the loading screen, but not for long. My game still crashes upon playing for a couple of minutes, always. I've finally took the radical decision to delete everything associated to mods, and my game is basically as clean as it could ever be. The result? Nothing changed.

If any of you can play this game with this stupid update, I want to know what kind of trick did you use. What kind of magic spell did you made to make this thing work?

The worst thing is that even if I fix this and everything comes back to normal, Rockstar Games will launch another awful update to destroy everything, because apparently they don't even bother to fix their busted, filled baby diaper, dry vomit updates. And no, I refuse to downgrade because some of the most important mods I use will be updated constantly, so they will stop working on previous versions than intended by the modders. I'm not going to wait for the inevitable.

I'm open to suggestions, even if I've already tried them. As for me, I think I'm going to reinstall the game, who knows? For now, I think I'm done with this game.

Curse you, Rockstar Games. Curse you!

• @BallisticTool

Please don't take this the wrong way, but reinstalling dinput8.dll, particularly if you fell for the use dinput8.dll from the system32 folder bullshit, has never and will never fix a broken game. And from the steps you've taken, you basically are doing unnecessary and totally useless changes in a desperate way of fixing a simple problem.

The game is exactly like a car. It is made up of components which if assembled properly and in working order will run as expected.

If you can't run this game unmodded you might have missing or corrupt files.

Step 1. Rename dinput8.dll to dinput8.bak. This keeps all asi from loading, which effectively means your game is now unmodded. You could even play online.
    Step 2. Do a verify integrity
    Step 3. Start your game

Assuming your game ran stably before, assuming you followed the steps above, your game will run.

If it doesn't, download a save game from this site and remove all other save games temporarily.

If it still doesn't run, your problem is with your PC, hardware or software, or your in game settings, particularly the visual ones.

Or, as a last resort, delete the new dlc. Most users have encountered issues with mods after the update, but unmodded should work.

Your game will run if you approach this systematically and logically and avoid watching the 100% guaranteed fix videos by some idiot on YouTube.

• @JohnFromGWN

I don't care about online, want to play with mods. I used the diput8.dll file that's installed through OpenIV. I've also verified the integrity of the game. The game is clean (I even deleted dinput8.dll). I don't think the problem is related to the save files. If that was the case, the game would've crashed upon trying to load them. Also, there's nothing wrong with mi PC. In fact, I've played this game for hundreds of hours with high graphical settings in the same system.

Don't worry, I haven't considered those stupid videos as real information. I think something is seriously wrong with this update.

Without mods, I don't have any reason to play this anymore, to be honest. If you have any other possible solutions, please tell me.

• @BallisticTool there is only one dinput8.dll and it is the same whether you use the one with OpenIV or the one with SH5.

I was just on the Steam discussions for GTA5, which is an incredibly toxic community, and they are mostly anti modders, and i didn’t see activity around the update, in other words no issues because they don't mod.

Similarly, the posts here are mostly about updates breaking mods, not breaking the vanilla game.

I don't understand why your game won't run when you removed dinput8.dll when it ran before.

I suggested you try a new save game and you refused to try it. My save game corrupted once, probably from repeated crashes, but it never gave an error message.

I also suggested you delete all the new dlc, did u try?

Finally you mention all these important mods that you're sure don't work with prior versions of the game. How would you know if you never reverted?

There are compromises in life so you'll have to decide what you want to do, but i can't explain why the game unmodded no longer works unless you changed something in your PC environment.

• @JohnFromGWN

I wouldn't trust the Steam discussions in the first place. There's too much toxicity in general.

Taking that aside, you were right! I've decided to play a new game, and it didn't crash, at least for now.

The horrifying part is that I can't play with my old save files without crashes. If there's no way to fix them, I'm dammed. How could that happen? It's so disheartening.

And yes, I still have the new content activated, but I think I'm screwed anyways.

And to think that I've completed the game at 100%. I can't believe this is happening.

• @BallisticTool Hello friend, first I ask you to stay calm.

You, like John, myself and all the users of this forum have the game with many mods and this expansion has been difficult to take on board.

Don't worry, we will sort it out.

Do the following steps in your game:

Update the Packfile Limit Adjuster: https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/packfile-limit-adjuster

Install a trusted Gameconfig, for example this one from F7YO: https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/gta-5-gameconfig-300-cars

Now in your DLCLIST.XML delete these lines:

<Item>dlcpacks:/mpsum2/</Item>
    	<Item>dlcpacks:/patchday27ng/</Item>
    	<Item>dlcpacks:/mpsum2_g9ec/</Item>
    	<Item>dlcpacks:/patchday27g9ecng/</Item>

Now your updated game with mods should work.

No, you won't get the new content, but for goodness sake, you'll be able to play.

• @Fabito48hd

Deleting those lines didn't work.

As I said already, I can play on a new game, but it crashes when I load my old files, even with an unmodded game. They're corrupted in some way I can't comprehend. None of my mods change the way the game works, whatsoever.

• @BallisticTool Also didn't help with me. the game keeps crashing on the animation that plays after pressing the play button the start the game. the animation freezes for several seconds then ctd. >_>

Even a fresh install twice now didn't help the problem.

• @BallisticTool @MegaTBull

As colleague @JohnFromGWN says , the first thing to do is to make sure that your game works well without mods.

And believe me, that's a big step.

Change yours dinput8.dll for dinput8.bak and try.

If the game works, we now need to find a way to make it load the mods.

What I said in my previous post has managed to get it working for me, albeit without the latest DLC content but... What do you guys prefer?

Also note that you need to have a gameconfig that works with your game with mods.

And above all, don't install new mods without getting your game working.

Believe us, we want to help, but I'm also finding users saying "I don't want to do that, I want to play with the new DLC cars" or "I've overwritten my Update.rpf folder, how do I put back the dlclist I had before?

And the truth is that this is very difficult.

• @Fabito48hd I said the game isn't working now even with a fresh install which means there are no mods being used. the game update R* did is what's causing the problem because it worked perfectly fine before this update came.

• @MegaTBull But that's strange, very strange.

My game also has about 80 mods in the dlclist, apart from many scripts.

It's true that it was giving me problems too, but when I cancelled dinput8.dll I saw that it worked perfectly with all its new content.

The only thing I can think of is to restore your game with your launcher tools (although I guess you've done that too).

Actually all the games are fixable, as there are many of us that it works for us. You must have something in your folders that you're either ignoring, or you did something weird.

I know it's frustrating, but if it works for me, it should work for you too.

If the full vanilla game from a clean install doesn't work for you, but it did before, it could also be a software issue or your own computer.

But apart from helping you with what I have done, there is not much else I can do.

• @Fabito48hd Nope, just installed like I usually do. I had the game for a few years now and it always worked perfectly fine even on my old pc. now suddenly when this new update comes it stops working and the game keeps CTD when it freezes on that startup animation for several seconds when I try to play it.

Also keep in mind I deleted the games folder each time and installed it again and also deleted my save folder since I was also planning to start the game over from the beginning and even that didn't help. whatever this new update did it really screwed something up because it shouldn't be having any problems especially on my new pc which is far better than the one I got back in 2013.

Is there a command line that will make the game go directly to the landing screen? something I do want to do is check the ingame graphics options to see if by default something was set too high for my graphics card to handle but I can't get to it since the game keeps crashing on the startup animation screen since it looks like it's trying to go straight to story mode.

• @MegaTBull unfortunately for you Rockstar will continue to update their dlc for GTAO players.

You're cursing them out for conducting their business which is fine if it makes you feel better.

The sad part is that you're in a minority of users who can't play with or without mods and you refuse to revert.

You might as well open a support ticket with Rockstar support because you're out of options.

https://support.rockstargames.com/categories/200013306

I would refrain from asking them to stop adding new dlc because it breaks your mods.

• @MegaTBull It occurs to me that you could try (if only to test what you say) to download a save game from another user of this website, so that it doesn't take you directly to run the story mode and you can test in the options.

• @MegaTBull you're repeatedly uninstalling, downloading, and reinstalling the game and expecting a different outcome?

Which version of the game do you have? Steam, Epic?

• @JohnFromGWN I don't recall cursing them out for making updates and never planned to tell them to stop making updates because my game keeps ctd after this latest update. I updated the game each time since I bought it a few years ago and even waited for scripthook updates to come so I could play using mods again and that was the end of that so you saying that really makes no sense to me. I do recall saying this latest update is the reason the game won't load suddenly.

I would also revert if I could but I don't have the files to do it since unlike most that come here I'm not in a hurry to jump back in just because a new update broke scripthook. For your other reply I only did it twice and not repeatedly hoping it will just work and the game version is Steam.

@Fabito48hd Think I still have a save file on my other pc so I'll give it a try when ready.

• @MegaTBull said in The Truth (Build 2699):

@JohnFromGWN I don't recall cursing them out for making updates and never planned to tell them to stop making updates because my game keeps ctd after this latest update.

You're right, I confused you with OP - confusion because you sort of hijacked this thread. Trying to solve one issue and all of a sudden we have two, and I didn't notice.

• @JohnFromGWN @Fabito48hd

I don't doubt that you know a lot about this stuff, but you're missing the point.

I think my problem is associated with my save file, for some reason.

I'll reiterate. I've played on my save file using a clean game. I bypassed the loading screen, but I couldn't play for longer than 5 minutes before it crashed.

However, I started a new game, and I could play for longer than that, and it didn't crashed, until now.

I ask you a question, @Fabito48hd: How does changing the dinput8 extension solves the problem? I've tried the game in a factory state, making that solution completely pointless, in this case.

I'll repeat this too: I've done these tests with those DLCs activated, and I could still play a new game, nonetheless.

Also, my PC is completely capable of running this game. I've played this game for more that a thousand hours on the same system, and my game never crashed, aside from those times I've installed conflictive or incompatible mods, and GTA V isn't exactly a graphical showcase by 2021-2022 standards, to be honest.

@JohnFromGWN, I agree with you with the fact that many players blame companies for their own incompetence at modding their games without caution. It's not the company's fault, obviously. However, what if Rockstar Games is to blame in this punctual case? What if I've tried to fix this game in as many ways as possible, so I can play my old save file, and nothing changed? I think the answer is obvious: Rockstar Games is a crap company that releases untested trash on a daily basis.

If the game works for you on previous versions, I'm happy for it. I'm glad you can still enjoy the game we all love so much. However, I refuse to downgrade my game. Players don't need to accommodate to the unfair things from those companies. If I have to downgrade my game because the new version crashes when I play an existent save file, even if I use a clean copy, I'm sorry, but that's a lost cause for me.

@JohnFromGWN and @Fabito48hd, thank you for investing your time and effort on all of this, but I'll ask you to stop repeating the same solution over and over again. This is probably an unrelated issue, and I don't want to end up like Ouroboros.

• @BallisticTool Well, now I find out that if I don't give you the key to fix your game, it's because I don't want to.

Interesting.

And me spending my time so that an anonymous internet user could play the game.

Anyway, good luck with your game, I encourage you to go to the Rockstar forums to see if anyone can help you.

Here, on a MODS forum, you will be helped in matters of playing with mods, it's not a technical support place.

It's not that we keep repeating the same thing, it's that we are playing with mods and we want other users to play with mods too, hence why we mention dinput8 because we are capricious, it's simply because it's a file that overrides the running of mods, and it's a very good help for testing the vanilla game.

I play without mods with the game fully updated, and I also play with lots and lots of mods without the latest content because I can't get it to work. But I couldn't care less about a few new cars.

If your problem is that you have a corrupted save game, congratulations! We know what's broken in your game.

• @Fabito48hd I had a feeling I was right why the game kept crashing on me after the update. it was because for whatever reason the game changed the texture setting to max along with turning on one of the options my card doesn't support. I was able to start the game again thanks to the save file I got from my old pc since it had the settings that are appropriate for card I have.

• @MegaTBull This makes me very happy my friend, you finally made it!! :)

• @Fabito48hd

I understand.

To be honest, I don't care about the new content anyways, it's redundant. Doing what you said didn't work, though. Sorry if I offended you, I just don't like being offered what I've already tried more than once.

Also, I'm not going to ask for Rockstar's support. They're not the most caring about customer support, so I'll pass on that.

Maybe my save file is corrupted, but something tells me it's not. If that were the case, my game would've crashed immediately. It's kind of funny, and sad and the same time. Thank you anyways.

@MegaTBull Awesome! I'm happy for you!

• @BallisticTool Could the same thing have happened to you as to our colleague @MegaTBull ??

Has the new content altered your graphics settings and you are missing something?

• So was there anything worth bothering to get in the latest update?

• @Fabito48hd bro how do you fix crashes? I have the same situation : without dinput8.dll game working normal and what you do next?

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.