Launch with mods deletes game files

• So I updated the SH5 and booted on the game. The loading screen kept going and going, and my patience was running out. I decided to try turning it off, but it didn't want to interact. Apparently, I closed the game using the task manager and now my steam folder with GTA V is gone. And NOW, Steam tells me to DOWNLOAD my game. Was that a misclick I did, the new SH5's problem or the fact I closed GTA with the task manager?

• @WalterWhiteGamer

What you're describing is impossible - not a chance in hell, unless you downloaded SH5 from www.Quant.com.

Closing the task manager can't delete anything. It can only end a task or process, for example Steam or GTA5.

SH5 in no way will delete your game unless you installed a malware version from who knows where.

I can guarantee, unless you deleted it yourself, that your game is still there.

You very likely corrupted your game when you closed it with task manager, particularly if it was writing or saving to disk at that time - that shouldn't happen but it can. The Steam message would indicate it can't figure out what happened to your game.

Try to do a verify integrity.

I'm not saying closing with Task Manager is dangerous, not at all, but I can't find a more plausible explanation based on what you described. BTW, Windows can't delete program files when they are open/in use.

If you have a default setup, your game should be at something like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V

or it could be something like this:
    X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V where X is your drive or partition letter

• @JohnFromGWN I'm sorry John, it turns out my ass put the GTA folder into the L4D2 folder :skull:

It turns out all the mods are still where they were, but Steam is telling me to install GTA. Also the GTA apps are not in the folder.

• @WalterWhiteGamer You shouldn't let your ass modify your game, next time have your liver or kidneys do it.

Move the GTA folder back to where it's supposed to be and Steam should recognize it. Worst case you will need to reinstall.

• @JohnFromGWN I think my ass should do it because nothing scary really happened.
    "Oooo!!! Ooga Booga, your mods got thrown into another game folder and now you'll have to reinstall the game! Oooo!!!"

• @WalterWhiteGamer said in Launch with mods deletes game files:

@JohnFromGWN I think my ass should do it because nothing scary really happened.
    "Oooo!!! Ooga Booga, your mods got thrown into another game folder and now you'll have to reinstall the game! Oooo!!!"
    An Indian YouTuber is like a Teacher to a GTA V Modder

I have no idea what you mean, but I'm sure you'll find an Indian YouTuber to educate you.

• @JohnFromGWN I'll just reinstall the game and the mods. Time to refresh and update the library anyway, maybe make it work better even.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.