Editing window tint color values in carcols.ymt?

• Help please.

In carcols.ymt I want to reduce the default 'Light Smoke' window tint by about 1/2 or 3/4 of it's current shade.

Can anyone tell me what I need to enter in the color value field please?

Thanks.

• @gtavjamal Try an extreme value to try to decrease it. If it increases it, go in the other direction until you find the sweetspot. Assuming you have the right file.

• @JohnFromGWN Thanks dawg great idea my problem is I'm not sure what the extreme values are coz the setting is a combination of letters and numbers.

I took a few wild stabs in the dark and it made small changes or crashed my game at the loading screen lol.

This is the default window colors section in the carcols.ymt

<WindowColors>
    <Item>
    <color value="0x04FFFFFF"/>
    <name>standard windows</name>
    </Item>
    <Item>
    <color value="0xD1000000"/>
    <name>Limo Black</name>
    </Item>
    <Item>
    <color value="0xC4000000"/>
    <name>Dark Smoke</name>
    </Item>
    <Item>
    <color value="0xA2000000"/>
    <name>Light Smoke</name>
    </Item>
    <Item>
    <color value="0x00000000"/>
    <name> 4 </name>
    </Item>
    </WindowColors>

I can see the setting differences between light smoke and dark smoke but also found if you put double FF's where the six 0's are that can also change colors.
    Red = 1st and 2nd zeros
    Green = 3rd and 4th zeros
    Blue = 5th and 6th zeros

Note: Take my analysis with a grain of salt. Just applying a bit of the bro science technique, I aint no computer guy lol.

PS. Hope you had a nice holiday and all the best for 2023!!

• @gtavjamal You got it bro and all the best to you as well. Happy New Year.

Colours can be represented in many different ways. This is a variation of RGB as hex, like this: 0x00RRGGBB, called ARGB (A for Alpha).

You can play with colours here. FFFFFF is white, 000000 is black

• @gtavjamal The last 6 digit in gta's hex code can be interpreated as normal hex code and first 2 digit is alpha like @JohnFromGWN said. You can use any RGB to Hex or vice-versa conversion sites to convert the values.

Although I recommend not to touch the last 6 digit as the real tint transparency (you mean to edit) is applied by the alpha transparency which is the first 2 digit after 0x.

00 means no transparency (windows will be full black if the color hasn't changed)
    AA means complete transparency (windows itself won't be visible at all as it's like you rolled down windows).

If we are to put this on Light Smoke's 0xA2000000 value, I would say 1/2 value should be 0xAM000000 and 3/4 value should be 0xAG000000 give or take 2 letters ahead or behind :blush:

You can try changing all of them with 2 letter incraments and choose the one that fits your liking most :blush: :blush:

• @MissySnowie Happy New Year and all the best for 2023!!

You are a genius! Makes perfect sense what you said thank you! You know your stuff and can explain it so well. Until now the only hex I knew of was the curse type lol.

[Sigh] Unfortunately not sure what I am doing wrong. I can edit the values to almost anything (some values crash my game at the loading screen lol) but would you believe when I try to enter the correct values as you suggested I get an error message saying....

Unable to save file
    OpenIV is unable to save file changes, please try again later.

I tried again later but no luck. Maybe I am hex'd in the cursed sense lol

• @gtavjamal Sounds like you had GTA 5 open while trying to make your edits?

If you're having trouble saving, extract/export the file to your hard drive. There isn't any reason OpenIV will keep you from saving as it doesn't care what you do - but it won't save when GTA is running.

https://htmlcolorcodes.com/color-picker/

• @JohnFromGWN Excellent thinking yeah I do occasionally run multiple GTA V's without realizing but this time I made certain that wasn't the case, even opened task manager just to be sure.

Yeah I've never seen that error message with OpenIV before and what you say makes perfect sense.

Weird.

I keep getting that same error message when I enter 0xAM000000 0xAG000000 but if I try something like 0xA5000000 or basically anything else it saves fine??

• @gtavjamal It could be Russian hex for "Stop Doing That!!!!!!!"

• @gtavjamal Oh, I think I know the reason. True even if I export it, change the value and try to import it refuses to import.

Sorry I thought the Alpha's interpretation would be different perhaps but I think the value is completely limited by the Hex limitations, which is the latest letter can be F and anything beyond breaks the Hex value itself.

I think considering the letter range limitation, then the values you are looking for probably something like 0xAC000000 - 0xAE000000 . I hope this one turns out to be correct haha :D Let me know how it will go for you, if it doesn't work either I will test it myself when I'm back at home :blush: :blush:

and thank you so much for your kind words too :blush: :blush: :blush:

• @MissySnowie @gtavjamal

Apparently Jamal thought you wrote sex, not hex, so he installed hot coffee and that's what's causing the conflicts.

• @MissySnowie Yes thank you OpenIV accepted those two settings but unfortunately very minimal change. Strange R* limited the hex range to stop at F. Haha F U R*!

@JohnFromGWN Haha they might as well have made the OpenIV error message as "Stop Doing That!!!!!!!"

Funny you mentioned Hot Coffee causing a conflict. I cant remember which one but I suspected there was another mod it was conflicting with and after removing Hot Coffee all good now. Hot Coffee no longer available to the citizens in my GTA V game world but I did install Coke and Pepsi vending machines for caffeine fixes. Ideally we need a cold shower mod too lol.

• @JohnFromGWN LOL :see_no_evil: :rofl: :joy: :joy:

@gtavjamal Oh. Maybe increasing Alpha as much as we can might help, like making it 0xAB (the last point before everything goes complete transparent). If it still looks too dark for you, we can lighten up the color itself as well to a more lighter dark.

• Try 0xAB424242. If it's too light, try increasing the AB only, like AF, BC or BF. This is a dark grey shade.

• If it's still too dark for you, try 0xCA616161 . I believe the above value would be good enough but in case it won't, this is a lighter grey and I would go with a middle range transparency since too less would turn the windows dull grey :sweat_smile:

Feel free to let me know if these work for you, if still not I will check some more values myself and will send you the screenshots with their values and you can pick whichever one you wish :blush: :blush:

• @MissySnowie High five!! All good now thanks to you!!

I really appreciate you sharing your clevers. Never in a million years would I have sussed it myself without your help.

Btw. You feeding me the inputs, reminds me of some hacker movie or on Batman Arkham Knight using Batman's remote hacking device to download the security codes lol.

Thanks heaps again much appreciated!!

• @gtavjamal Haha very happy to help :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:

Yeah it's like those 2, the tech guy sending everyone and Batman executes :D

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.