Ultimate DLC Selector

• Posting this here, in General Modding Discussion, because it will not be released/uploaded as a mod. The concept here is more important than the execution and implementation

Ever wish you could install 10,000 map or MLO addons and run them all at the same time? Well you can't. Your system would crash and maps would overlap each other, or you would see maps floating above you in the sky.

So what's the answer? You need to be selective as to what you load and when. To this aim I just wrote a DLC selector for Maps and MLOs that will be open source. It could be used for vehicles but they aren't an issue until you spawn them, so who cares.

This DLC Selector Menu is based on a very simple principle: if you rename a DLC folder, for a vehicle, map, or MLO, or any addon, the DLC will not load. This means you can have 10,000 addons in your DLCPACKs with all the entries in Dlclist.xml. Then you could select which ones to run for your GTA 5 session without editing dlclist.xml or removing dlc folders. Obviously, you can't run them all or your system will crash.

So how does this work? You check the DLC you want to load, uncheck the DLC you don't want to load. In the background the program simply renames folders so they will or won't load. It also knows at load which are activated and which aren't.

The demo only has 4 DLC folders, but in a final version it is theoretically without limits. You can organize DLC by category of your choosing. In the Demo I just have 1 category, race tracks.

As a final touch, the DLC selector will launch GTA 5, passing on your user id and password and any other arguments. All done in VB.Net. Time invested about 1 hour and I'm definitely not a programmer.

If you're interested, you can post here. If you want to watch the video, suggest you watch it directly on YouTube at the highest resolution your PC supports.

• Ok. So complete rewrite for Release 2.
    Changes:
    Eliminated all hard coding. Replaced checkboxes with a multiselect Listbox. The Listbox is automatically populated based on the contents of the folder. Generally this will be dlcpacks for 99.9% of users. I'm in the other fraction because I use extensive subfolders and my folder is somewhere else - just an FYI but doesn't impact this app for other users.
    Will do some minor tweaking and that will be final release unless there are suggestions.

Small change. I added prefix [DISABLED] to folders (maps) that I don't want to load.

• Made a few more changes to ensure list refreshed the sort order. Also realized that this isn't for everyone. Issue is most modders use one dlcpack folder with 100 to 100 million addons. Since this app populates itself at run time, it would create a list with 100s or 1000s of addons (mostly vehicles) and that isn't feasible for the app nor for the user. You can't go through 1000 list items.

Once more this mod is not meant for addons that spawn on demand (vehicles). It is meant for maps like Liberty City and racetracks and MLOs - all of these take up considerable memory and many overlap or cause collision issues with other MLOs in the vicinity.

So this app is for those who will create subfolders (I must have easily 100 subfolders - cars are organized by brand and other characteristics. For example my Ferraris are grouped by subfolders, 8 or 12 cylinder, classic or "modern", and supercars too.

Here is the latest screenshot. Will share if there is interest. If not, I've made myself an awesome app to manage my huge collection of maps.

In passing, creating an entry for dlclist.xml with a subfolder just means adding the subfolder to the path.

Edit: this is just for some of my "racetracks", I have dozens more. Need to decide on whether to have multiple menus or a single menu with multiple listboxes.

alt text

• @JohnFromGWN Sorry for a bit of deviation but after seeing the dlcpacks you have, that yoshi, it couldn't be this Yoshi right? :sweat_smile:

:rofl: :rofl:

If so me wants :sparkling_heart: :heart_eyes: 🦖🦖

(I tried to DM you but couldn't, so I hope you don't mind me asking this in comments :blush: )

• @JohnFromGWN Oh thank you so so much :see_no_evil: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

• @MissySnowie I couldn't find skin, just the map.

• @JohnFromGWN Hopefully we can see that cutie one day too :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :heart_eyes:

• Finished with SP. Realized this should absolutely work with FiveM since changing the folder name will keep the server from finding the resource - won't load.
    So two for the price of one. Actually this is even better for FiveM because commenting out the server.cfg is PITA.

alt text

• @JohnFromGWN Thanks for this dawg. I was actually doing a more primitive manual version of this but same concept. Otherwise I get maps overlapping. Yeah this is a better way to do it.

• @gtavjamal Ok. I created a config file, if you're still interested, which will allow you do to two things:

1. Change the Label names for each of the 5 listboxes (ex. World Maps, Racetracks, etc). See below for more info.
    2. Change the folder paths to match your own installation.

Important:

1. This tool is for addons that spawn at load. This means Maps and MLOs. There is absolutely no need for a tool like this for vehicles and peds.
    2. Each listbox can handle hundreds of items, but that's not practical nor user friendly. This is why i suggest no more than 25 addons per list. If you go over scrollbar will appear automatically in the list.
    3. You will need to organize your Maps and MLOs in subfolders. The names you choose are yours, whatever you want. You can't use just the dlcpacks folder, not the way most ppl implement it, as you would also get your vehicles and likely hundreds if not thousands of items in one list!

Given the tool is set at 5 listboxes (adequately displaying 5 x 25 = 125 Maps or MLOS, but you can go higher), you will need 5 subfolders. The labelNames allow Titles for the Lists. Numbered 1 to 5 from Left to Right.

Your dlclist entries will now look like this:
    <Item>dlcpacks:/MyFolder/MLO1/</Item> where MyFolder is a subfolder of dlcpacks. It could be MyMLOs and MLO1 could be designer_house. MyFolder is your choice of name. MLO1 would be the actual folder name containing the dlc.rpf.

Inside the config file, you will see placeholders. Notice you don't use any quotation marks. If you make an error in your path you will get an error. Best bet is to use Windows Explorer and copy the path address.

The app will not delete or move any applications. It will only do renames. Needless to say you don't want to activate all your mods - you would crash your system instantly. [No] prefix means addon will NOT load. This should be your default with most if not all your mods set to No loading.

Just selecting a mod doesn't do anything until you hit the activate mod button. This is a toggle. Hit it once, it activates selected mods. Hit again, it deactivates.

The config file. The user Settings section allows you to choose 5 paths (5 subfolders) for your 5 lists. The label names are the text that will appear in colour above each list. For example World Maps or Racetracks. You choose.

<userSettings>
            <ModMenuR1.My.MySettings>
                <setting name="MyPath" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\DLC\Worlds</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="MyPath2" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\DLC\Race</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="MyPath3" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\DLC\Race2</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Mypath4" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\DLC\Maps</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Mypath5" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\DLC\MLOs</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Label1Name" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>World Maps</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Label2Name" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>Racetracks</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Label3Name" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>Racetracks</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Label4Name" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>Other Maps</value>
                </setting>
                <setting name="Label5Name" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>MLO Interiors</value>
                </setting>
            </ModMenuR1.My.MySettings>
        </userSettings>

Let me know if you want me to upload. Obviously this is free and there is no "Pro version" or other bullshit and no Patreon site, no crap about contact me on Discord if you want the free coffee maker extension.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.