VisualV night fix - solved

• just downloaded VisualV and it looks very great but it appears the night is too dark and looks very red which is shit. I wanna change the settings of the night sky to be like the original version. I need to know how do i change the settings of the nightime to be more like the original but keeping the VisualV daytime. I need some help on how to solve this because it really bugs me.alt text alt text

• @L4ZY4zy
    The files you are looking for are the timecycle/weather files in a folder called 'timecycle':

...\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf\common\data\timecycle

w_blizzard.xml
    w_clear.xml
    w_clearing.xml
    w_clouds.xml
    w_extrasunny.xml
    w_foggy.xml
    w_halloween.xml
    w_neutral.xml
    w_overcast.xml
    w_rain.xml
    w_smog.xml
    w_snow.xml
    w_snowlight.xml
    w_thunder.xml
    w_xmas.xml

Searching for Files in OpenIV:

Given you installed VisualV they should all be in that folder above, but just so you know, you can use 'Ctrl+F3' to open a search box in OpenIV to search for files by name if you ever need to :thumbsup:.

Note: OpenIV's Ctrl+F3 search box contains a 'Search area:' dropdown that allows you to select:

• Search Everywhere
    • Search in game folder only
    • Search in "mods" folder only

Be sure to select the right one for your usage case & be careful not to edit any vanilla files (ie only edit files in your 'mods' folder etc).

OpenIV Safety Options:

OpenIV > 'Tools' tab > 'Options' (or alternatively hit 'F4') > "mods folder" tab, contains options to help you to not accidentally edit vanilla/game folder files. The options are here if you want to enable them:

OpenIV Safe Options

Timecycle Folder (& other) File Load Location/s:

By default, GTA V has two locations for the 'timecycle' folder ('mods' folder file paths shown here):

...\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf\common\data\timecycle\

...\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\common.rpf\data\timecycle\

• If a file exists in both locations, the one in 'update.rpf' takes precedence & is loaded by the game over the one in 'common.rpf' (so edit the one in 'update.rpf' :thumbsup:).
    • If a file is located in 'common.rpf' timecycle folder only, it's often easiest to just move it manually (drag & drop out of OpenIV, drag & drop back in in new location etc) to the 'update.rpf' timecycle folder for editing (so everything is in the same place etc).
    • 'update.rpf' files taking precedence over the same files in 'common.rpf' is a rule that applies to all the files in those archives when they exist in both locations (just so you know etc).

Editing Night Brightness in Timecycle Files:

The easiest single value for editing overall night brightness is:

• '<postfx_exposure>' (It's basically an overall brightness control. higher values = brighter, lower = darker.)

Some other values that also affect brightness:

• <postfx_exposure_min> (higher values = brighter)
    • <postfx_exposure_max> (higher values = brighter)

Those last two min/max values also control eye adaptation. If you set them both to the same value (whatever that is), it will completely disable eye adaptation from changing the brightness of you screen automatically. More detail on that here if you need it.

• <light_dir_mult>
      How bright the direct (ie shadow creating) light from the Sun & Moon is. Basically, shines off the environment & makes it brighter when increased.

• '<light_natural_amb_down_' values (col_r/g/b & intensity)
      How bright the ambient light shining down onto the land/buildings/environment is.

• '<light_natural_amb_up_' (col_r/g/b & intensity)
      How bright the ambient light shining up from below the land/buildings/environment is.

• '<sky_zenith/zenith_transition/azimuth/azimuth_east/azimuth_transition/azimuth_west'
      Sky colour & brightness for different areas of the sky:

Zenith = Highest/straight up area of sky
    Zenith Transition = Roughly, the area between Zenith & Azimuth
    Azimuth = Horizon
    Azimuth Transition = Basically, North & South Horizons

• '<sky_hdr>'
      Overall sky brightness.

There are a few other values too, but those are the main ones. Should get you started :thumbsup:

Timecycle/Weather - Times of Day:

There are 13 'time of day' values for each of the timecycle weather values within the files:

Example:

01     02     03     04     05     06     07     08     09     10     11     12     13
    Time of Day        00:00  05:00  06:00  07:00  08:00  09:00  13:00  17:00  18:00  19:00  20:00  21:00  22:00
    <postfx_exposure> -0.1400 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.1000 0.3000 0.1000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 -0.1400</postfx_exposure>

Each value stretches to the beginning of the next, filling a full 24hr cycle. The night values are the first (00:00 to ~05:00) & last (22:00 to ~00:00) in any value line.

Think I've covered the basics :thinking:, any questions, give me a shout :thumbsup:

• @L4ZY4zy said in VisualV night fix:

I need some help on how to solve this.alt text alt text

• @a63nt-5m1th I changed it in the documents that but it didnt seem to make a difference and I only want to make the nightime change instead of changing the daytime, dawn, and dusk. The nightime similar to the non-modded GTA.

• @L4ZY4zy

@a63nt-5m1th said in VisualV night fix - unsolved:

The night values are the first (00:00 to ~05:00) & last (22:00 to ~00:00) in any value line

So the 1st & 13th values in any given line are night, just edit those ones :thumbsup:

Example: (Showing Day & Night Values)

Value No.     1st    2nd    3rd    4th    5th    6th    7th    8th    9th    10th   11th   12th   13th
    Night/Day     Night  Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Day    Night   
    Time of Day   00:00  05:00  06:00  07:00  08:00  09:00  13:00  17:00  18:00  19:00  20:00  21:00  22:00
    <sky_hdr>     0.2000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.1000 0.3000 0.1000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.2000</sky_hdr>

@L4ZY4zy said in VisualV night fix - unsolved:

The nightime similar to the non-modded GTA.

You can get nights identical to vanilla if you go through all your timecycle/weather files & make the first & last values the same as the equivalent vanilla file. I've done similar before, but it's a lot of work to do every single value (~1700 edits per timecycle file). Maybe to start with, try copying the first & last vanilla values for just the values I mentioned in the 'Editing Night Brightness in Timecycle Files:' section of my last post. That should get you most of the way there.

@L4ZY4zy said in VisualV night fix - unsolved:

I changed it in the documents that but it didnt seem to make a difference

What values did you change exactly?

Also, make sure you are editing the timecycle files here:

...\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf\common\data\timecycle

• i get it now thanks

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.