How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs

@LeeC2202 The only way to figure out what's going on there is by looking at how the EXE loads the values. Until then, I hope what I posted here helps anyone.

• Okay... so it has been fun time tonight, with some interesting, yet equally disturbing results.

Based on the info @Unknown-Modder was kind enough to share, myself and @meimeiriver conducted a test. He had added a car with a ModKitID of 2211, which based on the earlier info, after stripping off the top 8 bits, left an ID of 163.

Based on the data I extracted from the carcols.meta files, that ID was also used by the brawler. So as meimeiriver had shifted his carcols data into carcols.ymt, I asked him to spawn the brawler and try and tune it... and it failed.

So if an ID of 2211, is stopping a car with an ID of 163 from being tuned, then I think the whole 255 IDs is pretty much confirmed.

What I think is also confirmed, is the carcols.ymt method works, simply because it steals the IDs from anything in the dlcpack carcols.meta files (which start at ID 87). That's why I believe there is no overlap between carcols.ymt and carcols.meta, because carcols.ymt assignments would take precedence and take the ID.

So what does this mean for addons and tuning, well in my opinion, you have a choice.

1. Use the 30 spare IDs between 225 (the top vanilla tuning ID in use at the moment) and 255
    2. Steal all the IDs from 87 upwards by putting all your carcols.meta data into the carcols.ymt file.

I think this is pretty conclusive for the limitations on the ID values that can be used and is potentially earth-shattering for vehicle mod makers. All those elaborate numberings of 7777777 and 8 digit numbers, potentially mean absolutely nothing, because they all get converted to 0 - 255.

Can-of-worms.. consider yourself well and truly opened. :astonished:

@LeeC2202 If I could upvote you twice, I would, :) Thank you kindly for this very clear, and sadly rather conclusive and disturbing info!

"Back to the Batmobile!"

@ReNNie said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

"Back to the Batmobile!"

^^ And if only we could find a valid car ID for it. :P

• It is a downright nightmare, I wrote an ingame script that spawns all vehicles + all added vehicles and determines the modkit id for each vehicle.

The trouble I was having that my own DLC would somehow shift vanilla modkits over, hence invalidating them. I created a new DLC and am happy to report the shifting of vanilla modkits isn't happening anymore (don't ask me why, it's probably the loading order.

I have now 23 modkits from IV pack and 5 from my own pack working. The trick to use unused modkit id's doesn't seem to work. In my game, the highest modkit ID was 240 (vanilla + ivpack + my own dlc). Trying to use 241-246 for the modkits I still want to use is getting me nowhere, I cannot get those to load at all.

At least I got rid of the vanilla modkits being invalidated, that was my biggest gripe.

just to edit:

the highest vanilla modkit ID is 212 Marshall, IVpack begins with 213 through to 235, my dlc's go from 236 to 241. and that's it.

• @sjaak327 I've currently got everything from 230 to 255 working fine, which only leaves 4 valid IDs for anything else (226 - 229), without stealing IDs from vanilla vehicles using the carcols.ymt method of adding them.

the highest vanilla modkit ID is 212 Marshall

turismo2 uses 225, gp1 uses 223, infernus2 is 221

• Are you taking about the value <id value="998" /> ?

My highest modkit id returned by the game = 241 trying to add anything between 242 and 255 does NOT seem to work at all, they all revert to 255 which means cannot be modified.

The game modkit id's only range from 0-254, 255 means it cannot be modded at all.

• @sjaak327 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

The game modkit id's only range from 0-254, 255 means it cannot be modded at all.

My highest car currently has an ID of 1023, which when you strip off the top 8-bits leaves it as 255 and it tunes fine. I built a car this afternoon using the ID of 255, which also tuned fine.

• @LeeC2202 I think we are talking about two different things here.

You are talking about the actual files, I am talking about what the game returns by using

int modkit = VEHICLE::GET_VEHICLE_MOD_KIT(veh);

The highest is 212 and not a single one higher.

For instance the turismo3 is using: 203 turismo2

• @sjaak327 Yeah, I am meaning what is in the carcols.meta files... as you can see in the Excel file in this post. https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/5105/how-to-fix-tuning-parts-and-lights-not-working-on-addons-or-making-your-own-car-packs/62

I haven't checked what the game is returning.

@sjaak327 I already generated a list by reading the values directly from the list of CVehicleModelInfo's in memory: https://forums.gta5-mods.com/post/49737

And yes, you're right. 255 is not a valid mod kit ID.

• @LeeC2202

I did, highest ID = 212 for a completely vanilla game running on the latest patch, which theoretically means you would have 254-212 = 42 modkits that would be usable, remember 255 is not a valid modkit id and will mean the car is not modifiable at all.

Now I have manged to have about 30 of them usable without invalidating any vanilla modkits.

• the trouble I'm having is that based upon the information on my game, 242 is the highest available modkit, setting the modid in the files to 2290 does NOT work and the modid that the game assigns is 255 which is not good.

@sjaak327 Yeah I definitely have to look at how the EXE loads the values when I have enough time.

• @LeeC2202 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

@sjaak327 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

My highest car currently has an ID of 1023, which when you strip off the top 8-bits leaves it as 255 and it tunes fine. I built a car this afternoon using the ID of 255, which also tuned fine.

it's not that simple, IV pack is using 1023 for the huntley2 vehicle, the game returns it's modkit as 235 not 255. Again take it from me, if the game returns a modkit of 255 the vehicle will NOT be modifiable, except for maybe vehicle components.

• @sjaak327 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

setting the modid in the files to 2290 does NOT work and the modid that the game assigns is 255 which is not good.

I guess it's not quite as simple as that either.

From Carcols.meta

<kitName>2290_xbgt_modkit</kitName>
    <id value="2290" />	 	  
    <kitType>MKT_SPECIAL</kitType>

From carvariations.meta

<kits>
    	<Item>2290_xbgt_modkit</Item>
    </kits>

And in game I get a tunable car with an ID of 211.

However, if you have a car with an ID that clashes with that, you get an ID of 255 and the car won't tune.

alt text

• @LeeC2202 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

@sjaak327 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

setting the modid in the files to 2290 does NOT work and the modid that the game assigns is 255 which is not good.

I guess it's not quite as simple as that either.

From Carcols.meta

<kitName>2290_xbgt_modkit</kitName>
    <id value="2290" />
    <kitType>MKT_SPECIAL</kitType>

From carvariations.meta

<kits>
    <Item>2290_xbgt_modkit</Item>
    </kits>

And in game I get a tunable car with an ID of 211.

alt text

exactly, if I try to use the same ID the modkit will not load at all, and gets game value 255, meaning not working.

• @sjaak327 Sorry, I was too late with my edit... I did get an ID of 255, when I had an ID clash... so is that what 255 means, that there is a clash of IDs?

When I removed the conflicting second vehicle, this got a valid ID and worked.

• @LeeC2202 255 means No modkit. You can go try and mod it using a trainer or LSC but it won't work. If the game tells me 255 it means I'm fucked.

In any case, on my game, the hightest MODID is 241 and I don't seem to be able to add any more, all I need is 5 id's

I think this is a combination of loading order and what not. At least I now have no cases of modkits stealing or invalidating "vanilla modkits" anymore, so those remain numbered 0-212 with a few gaps here and there, trying to use those gaps didn't work either.

It is so silly, I had a DLC called "added vehicles" and all of it's modkits were working, but they were invalidating vanilla or stock modkits id's . I now renamed the DLC pres1 and now it is not stealing any ID's, but from the 11 modkits, I have 6 working, + 24 from IV pack makes 30 in total. In any case, if I for instance try to use modkit 2290 the modkit simply returns 255 in game, which is not good :)

• @sjaak327 Okay, just to throw another spanner in the works. :D

I use your trainer and I have a vehicle that spawned with an ID of 255, until I went into the vehicle mod options and changed an item, at which point the vehicle got a new ID and let me change tuning parts.

This truly is mental... absolute madness. :D

0_1490222335480_modkit madness.jpg

• @LeeC2202

all freshly spawned vehicles have 255 :) I simply change the modkit ID when you enter the menu to 0, which allow the game to determine the real modkit ID :)

• @sjaak327 In your dlc packs, do you set the order in setup2.xml to be a value after the vanilla dlc pack order numbers?

<order value="30" />

We did notice that had an effect on how things worked as well. All my packs now start at 30 and go upwards, although I do only have 7 packs.

It almost feels like you need to get a single pack, with a single tunable car. Set the ID to 200 and then increase it by 1 and watch what the in-game ID gets returned as. That really doesn't sound like a fun afternoon though. :D

But I thought I had it sussed and I clearly didn't, not even close. :(

@sjaak327 In your dlc packs, do you set the order in setup2.xml to be a value after the vanilla dlc pack order numbers?

<order value="30" />

We did notice that had an effect on how things worked as well. All my packs now start at 30 and go upwards, although I do only have 7 packs.

It almost feels like you need to get a single pack, with a single tunable car. Set the ID to 200 and then increase it by 1 and watch what the in-game ID gets returned as. That really doesn't sound like a fun afternoon though. :D

But I thought I had it sussed and I clearly didn't, not even close. :(

Based on what I have seen, changing the ID value in the files will have no effect on the game displayed ID value, so say you set your pack in the files to say 998, it might be 234 in game, when you set it to 999 it will probably be the exact same 234 in game :D

Based on what I have seen, changing the ID value in the files will have no effect on the game displayed ID value, so say you set your pack in the files to say 998, it might be 234 in game, when you set it to 999 it will probably be the exact same 234 in game

I think I'm going to stick to tuning Peds... it makes much more sense...

Even when the data files are full of this, it's easier to understand than what the game is doing with these modkit IDs. :D

<hash_16760659>
      <hash_49A0E46C value="false" />
      <hash_F3928A70 value="false" />
      <hash_364F037B value="false" />
      <hash_12CAF91F value="false" />
      <hash_B29BE228>0 255 1 2 3 255 255 255 4 255 255 255</hash_B29BE228>
      <hash_E2489C4F>
        <Item>
          <hash_C8F5438B value="4" />
          <hash_68AC8351>
            <Item>
              <hash_AECFE243 value="17" />
              <hash_A7431FBA value="0" />
              <hash_4A92222A>```

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.