How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs

• @LeeC2202 To be honest, I can't believe why Rockstar has done it this way. Whatever way you look at it, their system only allows for 255 unique modkit ID's (0-254). Since they are already up to 212 as of the lastest patch, that leaves precious little for Rockstar themselves in terms of adding moddeable vehicles.

And it also means that after each new patch, the number of modkits available for people who like to mod the game become less and less.

Let's hope R is forced to revise the system because they have limited themselves :D

• This post is deleted!

@Willief23 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

@LeeC2202 @sjaak327 Personally i would rather have working addon car modkit ids then the vanilla crappy cars so when i reach the limit of 254-255 cars with tuning parts, then I will go back to the carcols.ymt method and just erase all the data from the vanilla cars under the <Kits> section and replace it with my addon car data.

Except, of course, there be many nice SuperSports cars that I would certainly want to keep tunable. But a lot can go, for sure.

• @Willief23 yes, my (now deleted rpf) did just that, all it's modkits worked but replaced vanilla modkits, with seemingly no control over which ones it replaced exactly :) I guess defining them in carcols.ymt, providing you delete existing ones and assign them the same id, would actually allow such control. Trouble is that each patch you are looking at the same excercise.

I hope we can come up with a reliable way to determine on a modded game, which modkits ID's to use, to fully utilize the 255 available ID's without having to replace vanilla modkits.

@sjaak327 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

@LeeC2202

all freshly spawned vehicles have 255 :) I simply change the modkit ID when you enter the menu to 0, which allow the game to determine the real modkit ID :)

Wait. This.

This is what I'd need as a stand alone script.
    Assign xxx for modkit_ID in carvariations and carcols and let the game assign a valid ID upon spawning the added car.

• @sjaak327 from what i heard only 1 or 2 more patches will be it as they are supposed to stop doing patches after this year i think i remember seeing.

• Remember the discussion the other day ?

Ok, here is the clincher. I had this DLC which would always seem to have working modkit ID's. BUT it would override the ones from the game, which is something I don't want (I develop a trainer, and I want the game to be as vanilla as possible). I stopped that behaviour by copy the pres.dlc (IV pack) and re-created it and named it pres1.

From that point onwards, my modkits did NOT override game supplied modkits. So the situation was:

212 modkits from the game 0-212 with only about 7 gaps, meaning 7 unused modkits
    213-235 modkits from IV pack
    236-241 modkits from pres1 (my dlc).

whatever I try I cannot seem to get the remaining 5 to load, even though there should be around 13 possible modkits still waiting to be assigned.

I looked back at my old dlc, and noticed that pres1 had some lines commented. If I add
    <type>EXTRACONTENT_COMPAT_PACK</type>
    <order value="9" />

To setup2.xml the same behaviour as the old DLC occurs, ALL my modkits work, but they override vanilla modkits. In total 4 vanilla modkits have been invalidated and the fun thing is, I am using the exact same modkit id's in the files, but with the order value commented, 5 of my modkits never load, whilst with order value uncommented, ALL of them get a modkit assigned, but everything shifts.

so if you want to have your modkits working and are ok with vanilla ones being invalidated, you don't really need to put them in carcol.ymt, use the order value and it will work, just as LeeC2202 suggested. The hairraiser here is that when I don't set the order value, the very same modkit id's (I am trying rennie's 1900 range now) do not work and those modkits simply get 255 which is not good. I wonder if setting the value lower would have any infuence.

edit setting the order value lower leads to my code crashing. I simply iterate through the whole 501 vanilla vehicles and any of the 280 added vehicles (if enabled), I spawn the vehicle, get the modkit + the number of horns, and delete the car again. Mind you, I exclude helis, planes, trainer, trailers and bicycles because as far as I know none of them have a modkit ID. In any case, if I set ordervalue=1 my code crashes before it can even spawn added vehicles. I changed it back to nine and voila my code runs fine. Hairraising this stuff.

• @sjaak327 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

Mind you, I exclude helis, planes, trainer, trailers and bicycles because as far as I know none of them have a modkit ID.

Document wise, there are only 2 helicopters and 2 planes that have an ID assigned that I have found but whether that means anything is anyone's guess. :(

Honestly, with this lot, I feel like getting my AD&D stuff out again and seeing if I can roll 3xd10 and get a pair of +3 Gloves of ModKit assigning and a +2 bonus on my dispel confusion spell. :D

Mind boggling... truly mind boggling. I've shifted to just taking screenshots of the cars, it's so much simpler.

• @LeeC2202

I think it makes sense, the order value is the order in which stuff gets loaded. I searched for all the setup2.xml files and they all have a certain loading order, for instance the order value for import/export = 24 the lastest update has 25.

So forcing my DLC to load earlier, means all of my stuff works I tried 9 and all of my modkits worked, but the modkit id's for vanilla cars (including the DLC's) shifted, my modkit id's where all in the 100 range, simply because I ensured it loads before otehr dlc's.

I am going to try and set my loading order to 23 and see what happens.

Edit upping my loading order (from 30 to 23) now means it has 4 instead of 5 invalid modkit id's and none of the vanilla vehicles lost their modkits, so now trying 20 and see if that makes a difference :)

• @sjaak327 Yeah, that's how I decided to set mine to 30. I figured that it gives Rockstar a bit of room to add more dlpacks if they need to and I don't have to mess changing anything.

What I found odd was that some of the R* packs had the same number, I think it was 5 that was assigned to 2 packs, then there was a gap around 11 I think it was.

But my current method of thinking now, is just assign IDs as the next one up in the sequence I am working on and if they stop working, then I have no tuning on the car... as brutal and as simple as that.

I don't normally tune cars and it was pure curiosity that got me intrigued by this. The game developer side of me was convinced that there had to be logic behind the way this worked, but the more I looked, the less convinced I was that was true. And when I thought I had found the logic, it turned out to be wrong anyway. :D

One thing I haven't checked but I suspect you already have, is do the vanilla IDs remain intact (compared to the ones assigned in carcols) when they are spawned? If they don't, then the whole idea of assigning IDs literally makes no sense.

• @LeeC2202 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

@sjaak327 Yeah, that's how I decided to set mine to 30. I figured that it gives Rockstar a bit of room to add more dlpacks if they need to and I don't have to mess changing anything.

What I found odd was that some of the R* packs had the same number, I think it was 5 that was assigned to 2 packs, then there was a gap around 11 I think it was.

But my current method of thinking now, is just assign IDs as the next one up in the sequence I am working on and if they stop working, then I have no tuning on the car... as brutal and as simple as that.

I don't normally tune cars and it was pure curiosity that got me intrigued by this. The game developer side of me was convinced that there had to be logic behind the way this worked, but the more I looked, the less convinced I was that was true. And when I thought I had found the logic, it turned out to be wrong anyway. :D

One thing I haven't checked but I suspect you already have, is do the vanilla IDs remain intact (compared to the ones assigned in carcols) when they are spawned? If they don't, then the whole idea of assigning IDs literally makes no sense.

The trouble is, the ID in the files is not the same as ingame, so I cannot check them in any case. I am interested to know how many modkit id's you have working, and what ID's you use (in the files) because you set your order is set to 30 which means your DLC is loaded last, as the highest order now is 25 for mpspecialraces.

• @sjaak327 As far as I am aware, all of the cars I have using ID 1000 - 1023 all tune fine. I haven't checked my other packs though, so I am not sure what else does. I haven't tested the car I added today actually, which I assigned 1024. I will check that now and then post back in a minute...

• @LeeC2202 ok, that's the same range IVpack is using, so I cannot use those :)

and indeed all of IV pack's ID work. With the ID's I am using, it seems they all work when I set the loading order to 9, when I set it to 20 what it is now, I loose 4 packs, but vanilla modkits are not affected, I will try to get a slightly lower order like 15 and see if that increases my success :)

• @sjaak327 Ok, well it seems adding one more car broke something because not only does that new car not tune but the Supra I posted the picture of yesterday (with the spoiler), which was ID 1023, now doesn't tune either.

The values change in your trainer but nothing visible shows on the car. So adding one car and one new ID broke two. :(

Edit: Actually, I think I have broke my files because the Supra mods entries have gone missing in content.xml :(

• @LeeC2202 It is clear to me the loading order DOES make a huge difference, in combination with the id's being used in the files.

996-1023 which are used by IV pack all work, even though that DLC is loaded last. (999 does not work by the way).

I have now changed my order to be 13 and I now have just three invalid modkits id's, but I already lost one vanilla car. I know when I set it to 9, all my modkits work but 4 vanilla cars loose their modkit.

So it is clear to me that 1) the loading order matters and 2) the id's used matter. However in all of my fiddling about, I was never able to get modkits higher than 242 without loosing vanilla modkits. That's troubling.

If you don't mind loosing vanilla modkits, set your loading order to 9 or 8 and you are pretty much ensured all will work, but you will loose vanilla modkits.

• Ok, after putting my files back in order, here's a quick sample. Green = working tuning, Red = not working tuning.

0_1490313206119_IDs.jpg

• @LeeC2202 I am starting to think that it probably will be next to impossible to get the most of the available modkits.

I tried another range of ID's that I know work providing a certain order is maintained 980-985 and with load order =15 all my modkits work but I loose quite a few vanilla modkits...

So the order is important AND the range of Id;s used. my six working modkits work regardless if I load them last or not, so they are golden. The five that don't work I used 1300-1304 at load order 15, and 2 of them work, when I use 980-985 with the same load order (15) they all work :)

• @sjaak327 I would happily sacrifice every vanilla modkit in the game if I thought it would help. I don't spawn them to drive, they don't spawn in traffic with them on, so I have no use for them. If there was an easy way to remove them all, I would...

• @LeeC2202 You can already, set your dlc to load order 9, use 980-990 and 996-1023 (except 999) and they are all working. of course it will cost you vanilla modkits, how many, I cannot say, but think in the range of 5-7.

• @sjaak327 1000 - 1023 is what I have working now with load order 31 for that pack.

• @LeeC2202 Yes which means it is loaded last. so they will work in any load order, however 980-990 don't work in load order 30, they do work in load order 22 for instance, but it costs me 5 vanilla modpacks. In 9 1300-1305 will also work. In short, if you set the load order to a lower value, the more change a certain mod kit ID in the files work, but it will cost vanilla modkits.

• @sjaak327 This is starting to feel like a real hassle to just get some parts to appear on a car. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a pain to check anything... it all requires a game restart, which is just a complete pain. :(

@LeeC2202 said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

@sjaak327 This is starting to feel like a real hassle to just get some parts to appear on a car. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a pain to check anything... it all requires a game restart, which is just a complete pain. :(

I'm with this. I think I pretty much have all good cars I want, as it is (like 30 or so).

Besides, there's Mass Effect: Andromeda to play now. :) And ped .ymt issues to solve.

I want 400 extra Modkit_ID's to work :smiley_cat: I'm so screwed.

• @ReNNie said in How to fix tuning parts and lights not working on addons or making your own car packs:

I want 400 extra Modkit_ID's to work :smiley_cat: I'm so screwed.

Yeah, unless Rockstar changes their logic, you are. I am not convinced even 255 is possible, I never got more then 242..

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.