[SCRIPT] [WIP] - Drag Meets 2.0

• This mod is amazing. 10/10 :)
    Would love to have a drag parachute option.

• What about manual transmission?

• I would love to be able to replace the npc vehicles with add-on vehicles, and be able to choose what upgrades they have

• @Eddlm LOOL thanks for the quick response. And yea either way, this is dope. With or without the things I suggested. I really just be kicking back pretending it's some fast and furious race wars type stuff going on LOOL. That's why I need to try the more than 2 vehicle participants.

Any update on when the WIP will be released?

• @Phantasmppp

What about manual transmission?

Not happening, mainly because an awesome script for that already exists.
    I'll probably add an optional minigame for shifting, but nothing complex.

@Akila_Reigns said

Would love to have a drag parachute option.

That's an interesting suggestion, I'll look if its possible.

@Zoey

Any update on when the WIP will be released?

It should be ready this week. A lot of things are already done, but not finetuned. Also way too much debug info for a release, even an alpha/beta one. I have to clean the code.

• @Eddlm

I use the Mod Real Airbag Suspension a lot, would it be possible to include the suspension status in the drivers.xml file?

Https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/airbag-suspension

And I saw that you are going to change the file, please tell me that I will not lose the competitors I have already created.

• @tmvbr

I use the Mod Real Airbag Suspension a lot, would it be possible to include the suspension status in the drivers.xml file?
    Https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/airbag-suspension

Probably not, because its Airbag Suspension who applies the suspension changes, not Drag Meets.
    Drag Meets doesn't know how to apply them.

And I saw that you are going to change the file, please tell me that I will not lose the competitors I have already created.

Shifting/Reaction times are saved in a different attribute, so that will need to be updated to look like this:
    <Driver Name="Eddlm" Shifting="35" Reaction="350">
    Shifting its now a number between 0 and 100, representing their average shifting skill. Reaction is another number which represents their average reaction time in miliseconds.
    Keyword average, as its going to be a little randomized around the original number each time the Racer uses it.

Some info that can be helpful when you update them: shifting skill now allows for slowdowns and even engines being broken if the shift is a bad one (< 25). Good shifting (> 75) gives the usual boost.
    If this info is missing, it will be randomized when loading the Racer.

The vehicle itself loads exactly the same way for now, unless I find a better way to store/load vehicle information.
    Still, I'm currently developing the thing and Racers will need to save and load persistent stuff (Read: money, statistics) from Racers.xml, so their xml Items will change some more.

Here is a Racer example gotten from the current Racers.xml I'm using, you may find it helpful.

• While you're working on the rewrite, can we have an option that lets us disable the "player" version of the shift-boost, or at least have the game check for the existence of your separate shift boost mod before enabling it? The drag races are automatically stacked in the player's favour with both enabled.

Another option, since you mentioned adding nitrous, is to have an option to disable that too. Nitrous makes almost no difference in a 10-14 second race in reality anyway. You're usually good for adding this kind of option without being asked, but I wanted to chime in just in case. =)

• @jtgibson Everything, everything optional. You guys don't know how hard it is to code something knowing you have to also be able of disabling half the thing (and manage to still have it working).

• New video up

That's the current state of the script.

• @Eddlm Since you probably don't get it often enough and I maybe did sound like an entitled douchebag, I do want to affirm: thanks for the effort. My favourite kinds of mods for GTA make the world more immersive and emergent, and yours often solve that. =)

My C++ knowledge is fairly outdated -- 2000s era -- and I keep putting off working on my actual games because it's just so bloody dreary writing an engine from scratch (and I won't touch Unity or Ogre with a 10' pole) and I have a massive game backlog to work through, but I actually do recognise the amount of work needed. ;-) Which is why I asked -- no sense doing work unless there's a demand for it, and it's better to offer suggestions before the pie goes into the oven. =)

I'm a proponent of external configuration, so I'm assuming that you're not making an in-game menu, since 1.8 didn't have one. If you are writing one, I can definitely see why more options would be excruciating. ;-)

• @Eddlm

Man I am so excited for this! I'm using almost all your mods in a new series for my channel on YouTube and I saw that you are working on a career mode for this mod and I am So hyped!! Great work my man keep it up my man!!

• @jtgibson

Since you probably don't get it often enough and I maybe did sound like an entitled douchebag, I do want to affirm: thanks for the effort. My favourite kinds of mods for GTA make the world more immersive and emergent, and yours often solve that. =)

Really appreciated, happy to see my work is worth people's time. And yeah, Not much people actually "thank" me, although usually I take it for granted every time someone says or implies that they're enjoying it. Its the same for me.

Which is why I asked -- no sense doing work unless there's a demand for it, and it's better to offer suggestions before the pie goes into the oven. =)

That's true, but you have to take into account that, although I love people enjoying what I do, most times I actually code aiming to creating something I would play myself, primarily. In that sense, the community and what they want comes in (albeit close) second.

I'm flexible and can understand some features might not be wanted by others, and I'll add toggles for them if its not too much trouble coding it, but it is still something I want myself to enjoy.

The script won't have an ingame configuration menu because I think this is one of those times where you set it and forget it, so a config file is more appropiate, in my opinion. There could be a menu done, but that would be for the Meet itself and interacting with it.

I'm a proponent of external configuration, so I'm assuming that you're not making an in-game menu, since 1.8 didn't have one. If you are writing one, I can definitely see why more options would be excruciating. ;-)

The problem there is that Drag Meets is coded with X features implemented. It works with them. If I'm to disable them, the script starts acting incoherently and I have to rewrite some stuff to make the thing work smooth even without these features.

Here's a recent example: the wheel temperature and reaction times. Now that i've added a toggle to disable them, the game still acts like they exist and notifies the player of them, even if they actually aren't applied anymore.

So now I need to add more checks for that toggle option (boolean) around the script, and also disable the calculations too as they're now worthless (when disabled) and would cause an innecesary performance drop.

More work, to please I don't know how many people, actually.

Then there's the career mode, which won't be fair at all if some features are disabled, like Nitro or Shifting/Reaction times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still adding the toggles, some people will appreciate it. But its a bit tedious to do and changes what I planned for the mod.

@PsychoticHoodlum

Man I am so excited for this! I'm using almost all your mods in a new series for my channel on YouTube and I saw that you are working on a career mode for this mod and I am So hyped!! Great work my man keep it up my man!!

Great! Be sure of sharing a link when you start the series. Something I really like is seeing people play my mods. (It also helps a lot to catch where the mod is lacking or not enough intuitive for the usual player)

• Since I already had a lot of fun with 1.8 I can't wait to see this one released. I do like your style and ideas for mods.
    The new video displays some cool features, although a couple of them worry me abit.

• First of all, the type of rims you choose seem to have influence on the performance. That is actually something I don't like because I design my cars for looks. Having to have a rather ugly car just to make it run faster is probably killing the fun for me on this one.

• I also use your BunroutWheelie mod. That already was problematic as it boosts your car to extreme speeds. I had a stretch limo at about 500 km/h (around 300 mph) and even a Trashmaster can easily win any race against any supercar just by doing a burnout. Now a burnout feature seems to be implemented and I saw your Ruiner do a wheelie but without that insane boost. What exactly are your plans for that?

• The idea mentioned earlier of having a parachute for braking is seconded by me. It would just add so much flair, even if it was for cosmetic reasons and had no real effect.

• A more organized parking would also help this mod a lot as the mayhem in the waiting zone is sometimes really bad.

• I wonder if those cars participating could have names like real life dragsters. I'd love to see the "Red Lightning" go against "Steam Train" rather than Nero Custom against Ruiner. And of course the player should have the chance to name his car as well. If you go crazy on that, It could display the cars name, cars make and drivers name as well, which would be awesome and you could have "real" rivals and add a little more immersion and RPG to it. ;o)

• It would also be cool to not have to go against cars that are simply superior to your own. We're talking about drag racing here and I only can have engine boost grade 4 on my Buccaneer while a real Chevy could have like a 1500 HP engine buildt in. Like it is now, supercars are unbeatable (if the BurnoutWheelie mod isn't active) and in my opinion, drag racing is all about mucle cars and self built racers. While I understand you can't add new cars to the game, I'd rather had a chance of having my lurcher being able to compete against a Zentorno. That is, in the end, what drag racing is about. I saw, with my own eyes, a VW beetle destroy a Ferrari. Something like that should be possible in your mod as well.

Just some thoughts from my end. I'm really looking forward to your ideas and maybe even answers.

Have fun, man, and thank you for doing this for the community.

• You can still try to make spawn cars racers, after you came by yourself. Ie you came to the place of races, and you gradually arrive to other participants.
    You can also try spawn riders on the characteristics of the machine of the player. Ie if I for example came on a weak machine, it will spawn racers on slower machines. Or for example, I arrived at the SUV, and all riders will be on SUVs and pickups.
    But I want a separate menu where you can use special keys to activate itself spawn riders in the right place (e.g. airport), you also choose the type of racing, I have introduced several types of races:
    The choice of difficulty:
    easy - Beginners: beginners for Normal everyday cars, sedans, station wagons, hatchbacks, coupes, low power, etc.
    normal Fans: there are already racers are cars more powerful mainly majors on the expensive wheelbarrows, muscle cars, etc.
    hard - Riders: Professionals on supercars and powerful cars.
    You can also enter the type of transport e.g. cars, SUVs and pick-UPS, motorcycles and bikes. It diversifies the game.
    Sorry, if not clearly written, simply did not know English and I write through a translator.

• @Regash

• First of all, the type of rims you choose seem to have influence on the performance. That is actually something I don't like because I design my cars for looks. Having to have a rather ugly car just to make it run faster is probably killing the fun for me on this one.

Optional feature. ;)

• I also use your BunroutWheelie mod. That already was problematic as it boosts your car to extreme speeds. I had a stretch limo at about 500 km/h (around 300 mph) and even a Trashmaster can easily win any race against any supercar just by doing a burnout. Now a burnout feature seems to be implemented and I saw your Ruiner do a wheelie but without that insane boost. What exactly are your plans for that?

I've finetuned my Burnout Wheelie mod and implemented it into the script, yeah. I'll probably update the original to make them equal and reduce redundance.

• The idea mentioned earlier of having a parachute for braking is seconded by me. It would just add so much flair, even if it was for cosmetic reasons and had no real effect.

The effect is easy to achieve, i've already done it to prevent my people flying off the Airport Runaway. Its the parachute itself which I don't know how to add.

• A more organized parking would also help this mod a lot as the mayhem in the waiting zone is sometimes really bad.

I've been working on it, still haven't achieved much. GTA V AI doesn't like being careful, no matter what I do.

• I wonder if those cars participating could have names like real life dragsters. I'd love to see the "Red Lightning" go against "Steam Train" rather than Nero Custom against Ruiner. And of course the player should have the chance to name his car as well. If you go crazy on that, It could display the cars name, cars make and drivers name as well, which would be awesome and you could have "real" rivals and add a little more immersion and RPG to it. ;o)

I've already implemented names for the Racers. Thing is, there are now two tipes of Racers, generic and persistent.

• Persistent racers have a name and their statistics are saved across sessions (this is planned, not done yet)
    • Generic racers don't have names and aren't persistent. As they don't have a name, they're identified by their car's name, which is what you see in the video.
    • It would also be cool to not have to go against cars that are simply superior to your own. We're talking about drag racing here and I only can have engine boost grade 4 on my Buccaneer while a real Chevy could have like a 1500 HP engine buildt in. Like it is now, supercars are unbeatable (if the BurnoutWheelie mod isn't active) and in my opinion, drag racing is all about mucle cars and self built racers. While I understand you can't add new cars to the game, I'd rather had a chance of having my lurcher being able to compete against a Zentorno. That is, in the end, what drag racing is about. I saw, with my own eyes, a VW beetle destroy a Ferrari. Something like that should be possible in your mod as well.
      I agree.

There are two solutions i've implemented to give everyone a chance:

• Shifting: Drivers with bad shifting have a speed penalization each time they do a bad shift. So, not every Cheetah or Nero will win races now.

• Smart Racer Picker: Old Drag Meets picked racers at random. Now there's a system that gives each vehicle a score based on its acceleration, top speed and engine mods. Then, based on that score, it tries to get Racers whose vehicles are similar in performance. Skills and tire temp are not taken into account.

Check out the start of the video, the notifications. You'll see the script getting a performance sample and trying to pick Racers which are in range of that performance.

Also, the tire performance helps with this, if these supercars don't have high end tires or don't do burnouts to warm up the tires, they won't have the increased grip.

By the way, remember that Meets are organized around certain kind(s) of cars. Not every Meet will have the mighty Nero around.

• @DiMiD777

You can still try to make spawn cars racers, after you came by yourself. Ie you came to the place of races, and you gradually arrive to other participants.

That's done. Racers will come and leave through the meet.

You can also try spawn riders on the characteristics of the machine of the player. Ie if I for example came on a weak machine, it will spawn racers on slower machines. Or for example, I arrived at the SUV, and all riders will be on SUVs and pickups.

Interesting idea.

But I want a separate menu where you can use special keys to activate itself spawn riders in the right place (e.g. airport), you also choose the type of racing, I have introduced several types of races:
    The choice of difficulty:
    easy - Beginners: beginners for Normal everyday cars, sedans, station wagons, hatchbacks, coupes, low power, etc.
    normal Fans: there are already racers are cars more powerful mainly majors on the expensive wheelbarrows, muscle cars, etc.
    hard - Riders: Professionals on supercars and powerful cars.
    You can also enter the type of transport e.g. cars, SUVs and pick-UPS, motorcycles and bikes. It diversifies the game.

Its a good idea, but I won't add it. I have already set a system that works like you said.

Here is how Meets will work:

• Each Meet has a set of vehicle classes that will spawn in it. Average cars, Lowriders, Muscle, Supercars, 4x4, Vans, SUVs, etc.
      Multiple classes can spawn in the same meet.

• There is no "difficulty setting". Each Racer has its own skill.
      It will be "easy" to win Racers with low skills.
      It will be "hard" to win Racers with high skills.

• You will be able to add new Racers easily. No menu. You spawn a car, you set it as Racer. Bam, new racer. (Not done, but this is planned)

Meets and Racers are actually xml (text) files inside your game folder, you can edit them to add, change or remove anything.

• Watched the new gameplay video Eddlm, looks brilliant already and your not even done yet. I like the touch of adding the gta online style information/stats about the cars above them. I did think of one more suggestion (everything else I thought of either has been suggested by others or is included already), again I don't know if its possible to be done but could the race started maybe use a flashlight, turning it on at the start of the race - preferably for night time?

Because I messed about creating my own meets in previous versions I was wondering in 2.0 do the meets start with less cars and then racers get added until the max number is reach? Also do the added racers spawn at pre-set coordinates or is it a random location? I remember reading that the AI can blow there engine from poor gear changes, I presume the engine damage gets set to full. If so then hopefully your tow truck script would/could take the cars away - which would be a cool little extra.

Anyhow I already love the script and what your adding in 2.0 is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again for your hard work creating these awesome scripts for the community - and for the hours of enjoyment 2.0 will give me and many others to.

• @l8ty3187

Watched the new gameplay video Eddlm, looks brilliant already and your not even done yet. I like the touch of adding the gta online style information/stats about the cars above them. I did think of one more suggestion (everything else I thought of either has been suggested by others or is included already), again I don't know if its possible to be done but could the race started maybe use a flashlight, turning it on at the start of the race - preferably for night time?

Why a flashlight?

Because I messed about creating my own meets in previous versions I was wondering in 2.0 do the meets start with less cars and then racers get added until the max number is reach? Also do the added racers spawn at pre-set coordinates or is it a random location? I remember reading that the AI can blow there engine from poor gear changes, I presume the engine damage gets set to full. If so then hopefully your tow truck script would/could take the cars away - which would be a cool little extra.

Meet spawn with less cars and more join with time.
    However, Racers who blow their engine don't have their car completely undrivable, they simply leave the Meet smoking, and their speed is capped at 20 mph or so.
    That means the Tow won't come after them, however the idea of the tow coming for them is cool, I might change that.

• @Eddlm said in [SCRIPT] [WIP] - Drag Meets 2.0:

Optional feature. ;)

That is awesome, thx.

I've finetuned my Burnout Wheelie mod and implemented it into the script, yeah. I'll probably update the original to make them equal and reduce redundance.

Great, thanks again.

The effect is easy to achieve, i've already done it to prevent my people flying off the Airport Runaway. Its the parachute itself which I don't know how to add.

Oh, okay... I never thought about that being a problem. I thought spawning a ped with a flaregun and using it would be much harder to do. My bad, then.

I've already implemented names for the Racers. Thing is, there are now two tipes of Racers, generic and persistent.

• Persistent racers have a name and their statistics are saved across sessions (this is planned, not done yet)
    • Generic racers don't have names and aren't persistent. As they don't have a name, they're identified by their car's name, which is what you see in the video.

I don't know... Still not what I had in mind but, oh well, if this is the worst problem, I'm still a happy user.

I agree.

There are two solutions i've implemented to give everyone a chance:

• Shifting: Drivers with bad shifting have a speed penalization each time they do a bad shift. So, not every Cheetah or Nero will win races now.

But will bad shifting slow a supercar down that much, so a muscle car can beat it?

• Smart Racer Picker: Old Drag Meets picked racers at random. Now there's a system that gives each vehicle a score based on its acceleration, top speed and engine mods. Then, based on that score, it tries to get Racers whose vehicles are similar in performance. Skills and tire temp are not taken into account.

Check out the start of the video, the notifications. You'll see the script getting a performance sample and trying to pick Racers which are in range of that performance.

That still makes me unable to destroy all of the competition around with my beloved muscle car. In the end, I'd still have to switch to a supercar to win against them all. And I'm never gonna drive a supercar in a dragrace.

Also, the tire performance helps with this, if these supercars don't have high end tires or don't do burnouts to warm up the tires, they won't have the increased grip.

Like I hinted, if this feature is optional, it'll be always switched off for me.

By the way, remember that Meets are organized around certain kind(s) of cars. Not every Meet will have the mighty Nero around.

True, but most of the meets have rather strange drag strips, like jumping down in the windmill farm or crashing into a train because the timing was bad to start the race. So I prefer to race on LS Airport only. Is there any way to measure distance? Because I'd like to see a real quartermile dragstrip there.

Cheers!

• @Eddlm @l8ty3187 I guess the flashlight is for avoiding attracting police attention -- obviously not simulated by the mod -- which is more inherently realistic than a flaregun, since anyone firing off flares is giving police a big "ILLEGAL DRAG RACES HERE! POLICE WELCOME!" alert. I think the flaregun is already perfect within the context of the game, though. =)

@Regash

True, but most of the meets have rather strange drag strips, like jumping down in the windmill farm or crashing into a train because the timing was bad to start the race. So I prefer to race on LS Airport only. Is there any way to measure distance? Because I'd like to see a real quartermile dragstrip there.

Most of the drag strips in the mod are based off of an old forum post where the community scanned around the map for ideal multiplayer drag racing locations and collated them. While I can't attest to whether they found every possible location, odds are good that it's fairly comprehensive and that there aren't really many better locations that satisfy the requirements of:

• Low/no traffic, especially at night
    • Flat (or otherwise suited to a particular vehicle type in straight lines, as in the Windmill Farm example)
    • Few/no hazards
    • Accessible to AI drivers, with allowances made for awful AI
    • Sufficient area to include parking and strip
    • Sufficient distance to be enjoyable

• @Eddlm @jtgibson Personally the main reason I suggested the flashlight was because its quite a common form of starting a (illegal) drag race at night in america (according to youtube vids anyway as I'm from England). I would of said as an alternative make the race starter maybe put there hands up (like a surrender animation) and then when they drop the race starts - but though that on your end the flashlight would be easier to implement obviously if you wanted to add it.

And obviously if you went the realism route then a flare gun is not ideal because it advertises illegal racing HERE, but on the same note - this isn't real life anyway :relaxed:. To be honest I'm happy and I'm sure others are with the flare gun as it is, and thanks as always for the script.

• I thought spawning a ped with a flaregun and using it would be much harder to do. My bad, then.

It is. Parachutes can't be spawned by themselves, they're weapons/gadgets. You give them to peds. Can't spawn an independent parachute, at least I don't know how.

Peds on the other hand are independent, you just tell the game to create one wherever you want, then give it whatever weapon you want.

Still not what I had in mind but, oh well, if this is the worst problem, I'm still a happy user.

Dind't understood this one, didn't you want named racers? @mkeezay30 recorded a video about it. Is this what you meant?

That still makes me unable to destroy all of the competition around with my beloved muscle car. In the end, I'd still have to switch to a supercar to win against them all. And I'm never gonna drive a supercar in a dragrace.

Each Meet can allow different kinds of cars, if you don't want supercars you can completely remove them by opening the Meet file and replacing "Super" with other car kind (Street, for example). This way, Supercars won't appear in that meet.
    If you prefer having something else than Supercars in the Airport meet, you can do that on LS Airport.xml.

[...] most of the meets have rather strange drag strips, like jumping down in the windmill farm or crashing into a train because the timing was bad to start the race. So I prefer to race on LS Airport only.

I agree that some meets are far from optimal (the windfarm one was for the lulz), but most of them are well placed, I've played them a lot. What about the one on LS Canals, The Terminal (docs) or Trevor's Airfield? The Power Station west to the Wind Farm also is quite good, in my opinion.

There's a possiblity that you never actually saw them spawning, the Meet spawn system of Drag Meets is awful.

@jtgibson talks about this forum post.

@l8ty3187

@Eddlm @jtgibson Personally the main reason I suggested the flashlight was because its quite a common form of starting a (illegal) drag race at night in america (according to youtube vids anyway as I'm from England). I would of said as an alternative make the race starter maybe put there hands up (like a surrender animation) and then when they drop the race starts - but though that on your end the flashlight would be easier to implement obviously if you wanted to add it.

And obviously if you went the realism route then a flare gun is not ideal because it advertises illegal racing HERE, but on the same note - this isn't real life anyway :relaxed:. To be honest I'm happy and I'm sure others are with the flare gun as it is, and thanks as always for the script.

Not really going for realism, just cool details. I still draw a lot inspiration from Fast 'n' Furious movies and NFS games, I mostly add the details because they add a strategy layer and because of @mkeezay30 's input. He wants to add more serious/official meets and that's probably what's going to happen, although illegal meets will be there aswell.
    I don't like the flashlight idea but I do like the handsup-then down concept. Will try to make it.

• @Zoey https://puu.sh/tr2QW.webm I've got the Self radio feature done. The track is Kazabubu, from Infected Mushroom.
    Meets will have their own radio but i'm going to add an option to force Self Radio on them.

@Alaannnn said in [SCRIPT] [WIP] - Drag Meets 2.0:

I would love to be able to replace the npc vehicles with add-on vehicles, and be able to choose what upgrades they have

Forgot about this one. Drag Meets will try and do this for you, but players will be able to add their own cars to the Meet's files.

• @Eddlm haha daaaaaamn that's dope man. I can't wait for this update. I'm still using the older version faithfully.

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.