Likely 99.99% my fault

• @meimeiriver That's probably me getting confused with error codes. :( I was chasing a problem last night and ended up chasing folder ownership problems as well.

@LeeC2202 said in Likely 99.99% my fault:

@meimeiriver That's probably me getting confused with error codes. :( I was chasing a problem last night and ended up chasing folder ownership problems as well.

And that is certainly something which can happen in STEAM. :) I had an issue once where Doom 4 wouldn't run any more, because Windows 7 (back then) had taken it upon himself to change some permissions (for alleged compatibility reasons). Took me ages to repair.

Game still crashes with mpimportexport enabled, even after a full verify of the file integrity. :(

• @meimeiriver And that was a completely clean version with none of your mods stuff back installed? I.e. straight after verify?

@LeeC2202 Yes, but with the .asi files in the root dir (as, without them, see above, the game won't run).

• @meimeiriver You don't need those asi files on the vanilla version though.

The idea behind verify, is you remove all those files, you verify the game then you run it without them. If you have verified the game, then put those files back in, you may have just put back the exact thing that is causing the problem.

Yes, I removed all those files, and now it will start again. Upon entry, it immediately asked me to create an auto-save. Which stenghtens my notion that this is related to an earlier issue I had, where the latest savegame had data the game couldn't handle. So that maybe the savegame trips on suddenly having mpimportexport present (a bit weird, yes, but the game did apparently notice a change, prompting me to save anew).

Going to put the Scripts back now, one by one, and see what happens,

Okay, turns out it's the mods folder. That royally sucks, as it means now I'll have to install every mod all over again. :(

• @meimeiriver Not good. :(

@LeeC2202 This is really getting ridiculous! Deleted and copied an entirely fresh copy of Update to mods, and now the game still crashes again. Dafuq?!

• @meimeiriver When you say "a fresh copy of update", you do just mean the update.rpf file and not everything in the update folder?

If so, that really doesn't make any sense. Have you checked for any errors in asiloader.log and openiv.log?

I think I'm going to give up on this piece of sh*t mpimportexport. Narrowing the list down down, seems it only lets me add 2 extra dlc cars; any more in the mods folder, and game crashes again.

• @meimeiriver Have you installed a new gameconfig.xml file? Without one, mine used to crash after a single addon.

I've got around 30 or so using this one https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/gta-5-gameconfig-300-cars

@meimeiriver Have you installed a new gameconfig.xml file? Without one, mine used to crash after a single addon.

I've got around 30 or so using this one https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/gta-5-gameconfig-300-cars

Okay, you talked me into trying this as well. :) The one I have (and installed when some Lamborghini mod asked me to do so), is from April 2016, it seems.

The gameconfig file may well be the cause, though, as there really seems to be a limit on the amount of DLC cars added. Although the 5 or so extra I have seems riduculously low.

Reinstalling all mods now (quite a job, but worth it, really, as I can do it properly this time). Then I'll immediately try it. :) Thanks!

@LeeC2202

@meimeiriver Have you installed a new gameconfig.xml file? Without one, mine used to crash after a single addon.

The more I think about this, the more optimstic I'm getting. :) As I just realized this is exactly what mpimportexport does: add a slew of extra DLC cars! :)

Which of the templates did you wind up using, btw?

@meimeiriver When you say "a fresh copy of update", you do just mean the update.rpf file and not everything in the update folder?

If so, that really doesn't make any sense. Have you checked for any errors in asiloader.log and openiv.log?

Oops, missed this one. ;) When I said "a fresh copy of update", I meant I made an exact copy of the entire folder, not just update.rpf. :) I figured it was probably best to just start clean over.

asiloader.log and openiv.log reported no errors, btw.

• @meimeiriver I only ever use the x1 Peds and x1 Vehicles, I don't like messing with the population balance, the vanilla settings feel fine to me.

With every update, the need for a gameconfig seems to get even more critical. I half wonder if we're going to get to a point where even a gameconfig stops helping and we're left with what Rockstar provide.

As for the update folder, all you really need is the update.rpf in mods\update and any files you add into mods\update\x64\dlcpacks. I don't know if forcing the game to read everything from the mods folder has any impact or not. :\ I only ever add files into there when a mod needs me to, otherwise it's at the bare minimum.

Saying that, I use very few mods, so I'm probably not a typical GTAV mod user. That does mean that I know very little about the whole modding process, so have to rely on information I've picked up when helping people... not the best way to work I guess.

Edit: P.s. sorry I don't appear to do much upvoting, I'm usually operating on two screens doing multiple tasks, so get wrapped up in the problem, without rewarding the responses. I have to flick in and out of productive and helping mode, so tend to do things in small chunks.

@LeeC2202 You, Sir, are a brilliant man! :) It was indeed the gameconfig file! Now everything loads up again, including mpimportexport, and truly ALL special DLC cars spawn now (double-checked this time!)

Yikes, I had no idea this gameconfig stuff was so critical. Thank you profusely!

As for the mods, I had some stuff which needed altering in x64e, or x64v, etc. So I copied those folder to mods first, this time, and changed things there.

• @meimeiriver You're welcome... glad we got things working in the end. :slight_smile:

@LeeC2202 Yes, after a few hours of painstakingly eliminating all possible causes, I finally realize mpimportexport would only let me add 2 DLC cars before crashing; after which I just angrily tossed it aside, thinking this could simply not be fixed. Then you came along, and luckily pointed me the latest gameconfig file! :) Thank you again!

Also, yesterday I noticed STEAM won't let you NOT auto-install the latest updates any more. That could become problematic in the future, what with this fickle gameconfig business and all. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there, though.

• @meimeiriver The updating is a real pain. When one happens I have to hope that someone mentions that one's on the way, at which point I block GTAV in my firewall and hope everything gets updated before I am forced online to activate.

I have noticed though that the patch programme requires permission before it can update, so maybe that's another factor I can use to hold an update at bay for a while.

So that's more fun to look forward to in the future... until then, enjoy using mods. :slight_smile:

Looks like your connection to GTA5-Mods.com Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.